Forever 21 Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions

2.5

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in January 2012.

Applied online, got a call from the district manager. interviewed 2 weeks later with district manager and field visual manager. during interview-- talked about my experience and they asked a couple of common interview questions. then went out to the floor and was asked to create 2 head-to-toe looks to get an idea for personal styling. then field visual manager asked me to take a look at a section of the store and tell her 2 things that could be improved.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me 2 things on the floor, visually, that can be improved on   View Answer
not negotiable. but you should definitely put 2-3$ more than your ideal hourly pay on the application. For example, if you want $15, put $17

Other Interview Reviews for Forever 21

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Forever 21 in August 2011.

1st Interview: Interview given by store manager.
    I walked into the store and presented the store manager with my resume and portfolio. She had time to chat with me, so we moved by the window mannequins to chat. Basically I was asked general questions on past employers and my fashion education. I presented a portfolio of all my past work through college, as well as from past employers. I gave specific examples on how I executed various visual work, as well on knowledge on key fashion trends at the time. I was asked to return later on in the week to interview with the visual manager of another store, since my actual visual manager was unable to do it. Everything went really well.

2nd Interview: Interview given by Visual Manager from another store.
    I was asked various fashion related questions, and to explain some of my favorites. I was also asked to come up with 5 looks pertaining to a certain type of girl. I had free reign of anything in the store and had to include a customer bio, as well as explain each look in detail to the visual manager. I also had to merchandise various fixtures, as well as build 4 face-outs. Interview went really really well. I wish I had worked under this manager instead.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Forever 21?   View Answer
    I was called and given an offer over the phone. As progression grew within the job I found out that I was the highest paid of all the visual merchandisers. This could have been because I do have a degree in the field. I also didn't understand how they based pay rate for the merchandisers, because employees who had worked for the company for years were paid an hourly rate of almost 5 or 6 dollars less than me. They were visual merchandisers as well, one even had a degree in a different field not related to fashion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Forever 21 in July 2011.

The interview was held in the food court of the mall with the Asst. Store Manager; Asked general questions about previous work history, how to deal with various situations, and how well I worked with other; Interview was about 15 minutes; I heard back in a week or less; Spent 1 day completing paper work and started work shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • How do approach someone who you know has stolen something?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in May 2011.

The interviewer was so unprofessional she forgot I had an appointment. She pawned me off on an assistant manager or maybe even a sales person. I completed the full interview consisiting of behavioral questions, walked around the outside of the store and suggested improvements to the mannequins and the walked around the store and was asked how I would change things, then asked to compose two outfits, one I would wear and one I would suggest to a client. The hiring manager then called me two months later to set up an interview. She thought this was the first time she contacted me. I let her know I had already interviewed and rather than apologize for the mic up, she simply said she wanted to meet with me in person. I was looking for a career not just a job and didn't want to waste anymore of my time. I decided they were way to unprofessional and unorganized to even consider as a potential employeer. Good luck to anyone having to interview with this joke of a process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you change the appearance of the mannequins.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in April 2011.

I saw that Forever 21 was looking for a visual merchandiser by doing an internet search, so I first applied online. I never heard anything so I decided to go to the store in person to fill out an application. While filling out the app in the store, someone told me to just come back and bring it in with my resume the next week (can't remember which day they said) when the store manager would be doing interviews.

I came the next week on interview day and there were about 10-12 girls in total waiting to interview. The store manager came out and led us to a quiet area in the mall not far from the store where we could all stand in a circle. She told us about the store and the positions she was looking for (sales, visuals, and a housekeeper). She then asked us questions that we all took turns asking. We also had to role play selling our outfit to either the whole group or someone we chose to role play with. Most of the people there were in interested in being sales associates, however 3 other girls and I were there for visuals. The visuals people were asked to come back the next week with portfolios if we had them to speak to the visual manager at the store.

The next interview with just the visual people was pretty short and casual. There were the girls from the previous interview and another girl I hadn't seen before. The visual manager was pretty young, but professional and asked us questions about how we get fashion inspiration, who's our favorite designer, etc. Then she took our resumes/applications and looked at our portfolios. She told us that the next step would be an interview with the district visual manager and we would get a call.

I did get a call I believe the next week to come in that Thursday for the final interview and was encouraged to bring in images of fashion inspiration or style if I did not have a portfolio. I did have a portfolio, but decided to add more pics that showed my sense of style using pictures of forever 21 clothing that I found online, hoping it would help. This interview was still a group one, but had only 2 other girls (however I knew the manager had at least one other group interview to do). The manager explained how visuals work at the company and made sure we knew that it is not an easy job. She then asked us questions about what we would do in certain situations concerning merchandising. Finally we were asked to go in the store and pick a collection of 5 outfits that fit a theme that we came up with as if we were going to style a window. After presenting my outfits to the manager I was told that a decision would be made in about 2 weeks. I did not get a call :(

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in January 2011.

I came in for a open call. I was nervous because the stack of applications where very high. I got a call a few days later for an interview. I had a great interview that lasted about 15 mins. I was later called about a week later to come in for a second interview. at this interview I was to merchandise a fixture. it took about an hour. after that I got a call two days later saying i got the job!

Interview Questions
    on ur application put a higher amount !

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in November 2010.

Casual Questions and a walkthrough of the store.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes you may be asked to pull certain outfits throughout the store.   View Answer
    Not much back and forth. They are always looking to save money when it comes to salary, but if you have the experience and knowledge then feel free to negotiate a little.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Forever 21 in November 2010.

Standard interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult questions but you are asked about your knowledge of current fashion trends.   Answer Question
    They made an offer that was compatible with my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in September 2010.

I applied to Forever 21 online about 6 months ago, and in the last month they contacted me twice, after I declined the first time. The second time, I accepted the interview, went to the interview at the date and time they gave me, and the Store Manager had no idea who I was. Luckily, she had the time to interview me on the spot and loved me. I came back the next day and interviewed with the Field Visual Merchandise Manager, repeated the presentation and was told she would speak with DM. At the time, there was no DM to interview with but the pay tripped them up for a week, Finally, after two weeks, I got my offer.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase. I asked for an amount I felt was comparable with my experience and the demands of the job. After a week, they came back with an offer $3.50 lower than my asking point. There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cerritos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cerritos, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Forever 21 in August 2010.

Went in for the interview prepared but when I got there I was way nervous for some reason when it came to the question portion. The mannequin styling wasn't too bad. The judgement was a bit nerve-wrecking.