Forrester Research Interview Questions in Cambridge, MA

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.2

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen>Hiring Manager phone screen>four 30 minute in-person interviews back to back>invited back to present and out to lunch. Matt Lyle was hands down the best recruiter I’ve worked with over the years. Genuine, responsive, caring, professional. The executive team I interviewed with had elite level process knowledge, leadership qualities and professionalism. Sales leaders are top caliber mentors and coaches in the tech world. Genuinely care about your development and cultural fit. I felt at ease and comfortable throughout the entire process – zero pressure (besides pressure to win). These guys are rockstars from front desk to VP. I look forward to keeping in touch with all of them, especially Matt Lyle.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What is your selling process?   1 Answer

Data Insights Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Day 1, 30 minute interview with HR, Day 2, HR called at 9am and asked if I could find time to interview over the phone by 1pm, 30 minute phone interview with hiring manager, after interview HR asked me to come in the next day Day 3, 2 hour interview on site with 3 employees- all nice & familiar with the position and company (however, 2 with less than 2 yrs at the company), Day 6, received an email with a research project to present in 1 week, Days 7-Days 13, spent 40 hours analyzing data and creating a ppt. Day 14, presented 30 minutes on site to 7 employees (of which 4 were VP's and of the 7, 2 were over the phone). Upon completion of interview, HR rep said, you'll be hearing from us 'soon', and 'hopefully later today'. No word that day. (they set expectations here, but didn't follow through) Day 15- no communication Day 16- no communication Day 17 no communication- finally I sent an email follow up and didn't receive a response, if they were undecided, they could have at least responded that it was taking longer than expected, etc. Day 18, I called and HR told me another candidate was selected, I'm not sure if they were planning to f/u or not- had I not called. Overall, the process was time consuming and eventually disappointing. Project received was vague and data was lacking in it's ability to tell a statistically valid story (also contained errors and transpositions). Data file had 384 variables for me to 'play with' to find research results- so I spent more than 40 hours with the file, in hindsight, I put in far too much effort, but based on the interviews and process, it seemed promising. It was challenging to present skills and a finished/polished presentation with results at a simplified level. Also, they wanted me to demonstrated advanced statistical methods, but when I presented- the people in the room had no understanding of these methods- or more like a superficial understanding. They wanted me to demonstrate abilities and competency with advanced statistically techniques but present at a simplified level- still showing my capabilities. They should have been clear up front- that the majority of people viewing the presentation wouldn't understand the more complicated statistics, since they were asking me to showcase analytical abilities for an analyst position. No background information or detailed questions (customer X has these issues or questions) or methodology were provided for the exercise, just a survey instrument. Also, some of the computed variables were created with 'proprietary' (unknown) formulas and it was unclear whether or not weighting was used, it at all. They also expected the ppt to follow their template with branding and color/style guide, etc. The process felt straightforward and was positive, those I interacted with were all nice as well as smart and appeared quite competent in their roles. They communicated clearly and often and then appeared to give up after I put in a significant amount of effort. Also, I'm not sure they understood what they were asking of me, paperwork said, "there is no right answer", but clearly there was a wrong answer.

Interview Questions

• See above- analysis project. Interview questions were straightforward and appropriate for the position. People were friendly, enthusiastic and smart/capable. The interview did not appear difficult, but it must have been if I was not selected.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was completed in four rounds. First I had a phone screening with the talent acquisition specialist. She was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I was lucky to find that she would be my go-to person throughout the entire process, always timely and courteous in her responses to my many questions. (Kristine is incredible and deserves to be recognized!) The next step involved speaking with the hiring manager/who I would report to if receiving and accepting an offer. It was an hour long phone call that was relatively casual and offered me a great opportunity to learn more about the role and the team. The third round was more intense as it was three hours long, with six individuals from across the marketing department, and in person. I had approximately 30 minutes with each person. Every person, from the CMO to the hiring manager, came with thoughtful, detail-oriented questions. What most impressed me was that each person also allowed me (to an extent) to dictate how my time was spent -- understanding that just as they were interviewing me, I was also interviewing them. I felt comfortable enough to ask a variety of questions and received what I thought to be very candid responses. This experience was crucial in solidifying the positive initial impression I had of Forrester. The final round was supposed to include an hour long presentation, but instead was adjusted to be an in person interview that was roughly 2.5 hours long. It involved meeting with two individuals I had already spoken with during the third round, in addition to two individuals that I would be working with if receiving and accepting an offer. Though still technically an 'interview', it was very relaxed and allowed me to explore if this was truly a good fit. Though I normally would say that four rounds is too much, I was glad that they took their time. I don't want to work with just anyone, and I am glad that they clearly don't hire 'just anyone'.

Interview Questions

• What questions do you have for me? (Have many questions, both broad and specific, prepared.)   Answer Question
    • How does working at Forrester fit into your overall career goals?   Answer Question
    • Explain when you were a leader and let your team down. What were the repercussions and what was your takeaway?   Answer Question
    • What is your learning style?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

It's very involved, but that has been documented elsewhere, and they explain it on the careers section of their website. Essentially you end up pouring about a month of sr analyst work into the process, after the interviews writing a sample analyst report, and then defending it in a presentation. My point though is that after getting excellent feedback on all steps, and me pouring a month work over a two month period into the process, they changed their minds on whether my experience was sufficient for the target audience of their team. The teams at Forrester seem very siloed, yet my experience fit right between two teams. So if that's your situation, think twice whether you want to engage in this process.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest challenges marketing organizations face these days?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

This position was to support the consultants working with Channel Strategy Professionals. I was contacted to arrange a phone interview a day after submitting my resume and cover letter on LinkedIn. However, during our conversation, it was clear the HR associate hadn't taken the time to read my resume, and that the job description on the site did not specify all their requirements (they wanted someone with at least 3 years of experience working in channel strategy roles, which I did not have). The conversation was easy and friendly, but I felt like I wasted my time applying and even lightly prepping for the interview.

Interview Questions

• What were responsibilities in your most recent position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I went in for an in person interview, which consisted of 3 half-hour interviews. The first was mostly informational, about the position and the company. The second was trying to gauge my personality, with questions like, how would your last boss describe you, how would your friends describe you, etc. The third interview was with 2 people, someone who had the role I was applying for and someone who had once been in the role I was applying for. This interview was more of an interrogation than an interview, as my interviewer had her computer open with 3 pages of questions and just read another one off as soon as I was done with my answer to the previous question. The questions were very unique. What was the last book you read? What would you do if you won a $20 million jackpot? What are 3 websites/magazines you use to keep up with technology? What is your favorite piece of technology other than your phone/computer? Why? What is your spirit animal? What would another company have to offer you to leave your job? What makes you want to set the bar higher for you and your co-workers? What would someone who doesn't like you say about you? What are 10 unconventional uses for a pencil? I was told I would hear back within 1 week because they had more people interviewing for the position. After a2 weeks, I hadn't heard back so I followed up. No response. A week later I followed up with them for a second time and finally got a response, saying I would hear back by the end of the week "with more information". Note: this is about 4 weeks after my interview and 3 weeks after I was supposed to hear back. They never emailed me again, not even to tell me I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, interview with hiring manager, and in person interview. The interview with the recruiter was very friendly, and she basically took down some notes and said it would be processed to the hiring manager, and he gets to decide if he wants to move forward or not.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about forrester research, why do you want to work here. Asked to explain some of the experiences on my resume. What would other people describe you as.   Answer Question

Senior Data Insights Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

This has been one of the most professional recruiting and interviewing experiences I've had in my career. I had interviewed at Forrester several times; recruiting followed up even though the first couple of times wasn't a fit for the specific role. They recognized a potential good candidate and kept in touch over the course of several years. Communication was good among the different recruiters as well. During the process itself (latest round), I got lots of feedback from HR as well as from the hiring manager. Everyone was responsive and seemed invested in getting good talent at the company. It made me feel very good about having invested a lot of time and preparation into the interview and I was very excited to start!

Interview Questions

• Several rounds of team interviews after a 1:1 with hiring manager. A lot of questions about prior relevant experience from different angles - analysis, client relationships, philosophy, work style, etc. Followed by a presentation assignment in front of a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

online application, HR screen, hiring manager call, in-office interview with multiple research directors & RAs, Analysts - there was a discrepancy between how HR described the position and how the hiring manager described the position

Interview Questions

• describe working style, what do you know about forrester, how do you motivate yourself, what are your career goals - overall the questions were not too difficult, the follow up questions varied depending on who the interviewer was; everyone was friendly   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The overall process was fantastic. Although it was a lengthy discussion, the recruiter kept me in the loop after each step. I interviewed with multiple individuals across several different positions. Each person was polite, challenging and offered to help with anything else that came up during the process. I spent a lot of time preparing by becoming as familiar as I could with the Forrester product offerings and the roles they serve.