Forrester Research Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

3.1

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Forrester Research.

Interview

The SG department is awesome, and make the candidate experience one of the best I have seen. Pretty cookie cutter questions but it was nice to meet multiple people from the team and ask them about their background, what they like about Forrester / what they would change, etc (especially as a recent grad with little experience).

Principal Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research.

Interview

4 phone meetings, 30 minutes each. Several of the interviews started late. Met with several colleagues and was able to ask them anything I wanted-- in fact, it seemed more like me driving the conversation. That's probably intentional since with this role you would be doing a lot of that.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know what made me interested in the job, since it had several components.   1 Answer

Data Insights Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Day 1, 30 minute interview with HR, Day 2, HR called at 9am and asked if I could find time to interview over the phone by 1pm, 30 minute phone interview with hiring manager, after interview HR asked me to come in the next day Day 3, 2 hour interview on site with 3 employees- all nice & familiar with the position and company (however, 2 with less than 2 yrs at the company), Day 6, received an email with a research project to present in 1 week, Days 7-Days 13, spent 40 hours analyzing data and creating a ppt. Day 14, presented 30 minutes on site to 7 employees (of which 4 were VP's and of the 7, 2 were over the phone). Upon completion of interview, HR rep said, you'll be hearing from us 'soon', and 'hopefully later today'. No word that day. (they set expectations here, but didn't follow through) Day 15- no communication Day 16- no communication Day 17 no communication- finally I sent an email follow up and didn't receive a response, if they were undecided, they could have at least responded that it was taking longer than expected, etc. Day 18, I called and HR told me another candidate was selected, I'm not sure if they were planning to f/u or not- had I not called. Overall, the process was time consuming and eventually disappointing. Project received was vague and data was lacking in it's ability to tell a statistically valid story (also contained errors and transpositions). Data file had 384 variables for me to 'play with' to find research results- so I spent more than 40 hours with the file, in hindsight, I put in far too much effort, but based on the interviews and process, it seemed promising. It was challenging to present skills and a finished/polished presentation with results at a simplified level. Also, they wanted me to demonstrated advanced statistical methods, but when I presented- the people in the room had no understanding of these methods- or more like a superficial understanding. They wanted me to demonstrate abilities and competency with advanced statistically techniques but present at a simplified level- still showing my capabilities. They should have been clear up front- that the majority of people viewing the presentation wouldn't understand the more complicated statistics, since they were asking me to showcase analytical abilities for an analyst position. No background information or detailed questions (customer X has these issues or questions) or methodology were provided for the exercise, just a survey instrument. Also, some of the computed variables were created with 'proprietary' (unknown) formulas and it was unclear whether or not weighting was used, it at all. They also expected the ppt to follow their template with branding and color/style guide, etc. The process felt straightforward and was positive, those I interacted with were all nice as well as smart and appeared quite competent in their roles. They communicated clearly and often and then appeared to give up after I put in a significant amount of effort. Also, I'm not sure they understood what they were asking of me, paperwork said, "there is no right answer", but clearly there was a wrong answer.

Interview Questions

• See above- analysis project. Interview questions were straightforward and appropriate for the position. People were friendly, enthusiastic and smart/capable. The interview did not appear difficult, but it must have been if I was not selected.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen>Hiring Manager phone screen>four 30 minute in-person interviews back to back>invited back to present and out to lunch. Matt Lyle was hands down the best recruiter I’ve worked with over the years. Genuine, responsive, caring, professional. The executive team I interviewed with had elite level process knowledge, leadership qualities and professionalism. Sales leaders are top caliber mentors and coaches in the tech world. Genuinely care about your development and cultural fit. I felt at ease and comfortable throughout the entire process – zero pressure (besides pressure to win). These guys are rockstars from front desk to VP. I look forward to keeping in touch with all of them, especially Matt Lyle.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What is your selling process?   1 Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied for position from an online posting in LinkedIn. Fairly straight-forward interaction with HR, followed by meeting with sales manager in the local office. Final round included a presentation to VPs related to my previous work. Since they were at HQ and interview was local office, it was done by video conference.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were willing to increase base salary by lowering compensation at-risk amount. They were not willing to raise base and keep commission constant for higher on target earnings. Effective 2013, non-compete employment contract required.

Consulting Operation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Forrester Research.

Interview

I applied the position online and received the interview invite in a couple of days. Basically the process was fast. The first round interview was on phone with a hiring manager and the questions were quite straightforward. The recruiter was kind of nice but seemed not taking the interview that serious. My interview was supposed to start at 4:30 pm, when everyone was ready off home, and yet the interviewer was late for about 10 minutes. The following was normal only the interview just lasted about 15 minutes. So I figured out the result without much guess. Being more professional might be not a bad idea for the company's recruitment.

Interview Questions

• My data processing ability, basically the experience with excel and spss.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long, intense, and quite thorough. This may scare some applicants off, but it actually allowed me to "try on" the role before actually taking it. In other interview processes, you talk about the role and your own capabilities. In this process, I go to do the job and Forrester got the vet my capabilities. It started with a phone interview with the recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then, I believe I interviewed with several other members of the team. Once I got through that round, I was tasked with writing a brief, which is an Analyst's chief responsibility at Forrester. When I finished and submitted that, I flew to Cambridge to present my report to the team in person. Yes, it was a long process, but the selection process is so important to employers and candidates that I think it was totally worthwhile.

Client Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester Research in July 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. Had a number of phone calls with recruiters and hiring managers. Discussed my salary requirements and the salary range with recruiters in the first conversation. The VP said he wanted me to interview in-person with his team. I followed up with the recruiter to schedule the interview and at that time she told me that the salary for the job was ~$20k less than originally discussed and >$10k less than my stated salary minimum. I believe this was a bait and switch. It was also a waste of everyone's time. I deliberately brought up salary requirements in the initial conversation to ensure that there would be a fit before proceeding. I do not understand why this came as a surprise later on in the interview process. Additionally, my phone calls were rescheduled three times and this recruiting process lasted two months and we didn't even get to an in-person interview. And this after Forrester Research contacted me about the job! I will not entertain any jobs or interviews at Forrester ever again.

Senior Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was completed in four rounds. First I had a phone screening with the talent acquisition specialist. She was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I was lucky to find that she would be my go-to person throughout the entire process, always timely and courteous in her responses to my many questions. (Kristine is incredible and deserves to be recognized!) The next step involved speaking with the hiring manager/who I would report to if receiving and accepting an offer. It was an hour long phone call that was relatively casual and offered me a great opportunity to learn more about the role and the team. The third round was more intense as it was three hours long, with six individuals from across the marketing department, and in person. I had approximately 30 minutes with each person. Every person, from the CMO to the hiring manager, came with thoughtful, detail-oriented questions. What most impressed me was that each person also allowed me (to an extent) to dictate how my time was spent -- understanding that just as they were interviewing me, I was also interviewing them. I felt comfortable enough to ask a variety of questions and received what I thought to be very candid responses. This experience was crucial in solidifying the positive initial impression I had of Forrester. The final round was supposed to include an hour long presentation, but instead was adjusted to be an in person interview that was roughly 2.5 hours long. It involved meeting with two individuals I had already spoken with during the third round, in addition to two individuals that I would be working with if receiving and accepting an offer. Though still technically an 'interview', it was very relaxed and allowed me to explore if this was truly a good fit. Though I normally would say that four rounds is too much, I was glad that they took their time. I don't want to work with just anyone, and I am glad that they clearly don't hire 'just anyone'.

Interview Questions

• What questions do you have for me? (Have many questions, both broad and specific, prepared.)   Answer Question
    • How does working at Forrester fit into your overall career goals?   Answer Question
    • Explain when you were a leader and let your team down. What were the repercussions and what was your takeaway?   Answer Question
    • What is your learning style?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

It's very involved, but that has been documented elsewhere, and they explain it on the careers section of their website. Essentially you end up pouring about a month of sr analyst work into the process, after the interviews writing a sample analyst report, and then defending it in a presentation. My point though is that after getting excellent feedback on all steps, and me pouring a month work over a two month period into the process, they changed their minds on whether my experience was sufficient for the target audience of their team. The teams at Forrester seem very siloed, yet my experience fit right between two teams. So if that's your situation, think twice whether you want to engage in this process.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest challenges marketing organizations face these days?   1 Answer