Forrester Research

Forrester Research Senior Analyst Interview Questions

5.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Forrester Research in July 2013.

Very detailed and took at least 6 weeks. Started with a borage of calls with analysts, researchers and consulting. Then to writing research and a presentation.

Other Interview Reviews for Forrester Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Forrester Research in April 2008.

This was the most comprehensive interview process I had ever been though. I first had a number of phone screens. The first was with the in house HR recruiter. He was very friendly, but his job was to either screen me out, or help me along the process. After demonstrating how my background matched their needs, we proceeded to the next set of phone screens with the hiring manager and the research director. Both were very matter-of-fact kinds of conversations about my background, my passions for my work, and the very challenging role of being an analyst. They all wanted to hear the questions I asked -- so prepare questions to ask! They want to know how inquisitive you are.

After passing this phase, I came in person for a meet-and-greet interview. Then I was asked to prepare 1. a written report and 2. a presentation. I had two weeks to complete this. We selected a topic, and I was given the standard format that Forrester uses for reports and presentations. The goal here was that this was the work I'd do if I got the job. They wanted to see if I could do it before offering me the job. They did offer help. The template was easy to understand, and they had examples. They simply wanted to see if I could pick up the tone and style of their reports, and if my writing was punchy and compelling. They also wanted to see how I took feedback -- so they made a bunch of corrections and wanted to see how I'd incorporate the corrections into a final product.

Once the paper and presentation was competed, I mailed them in and scheduled the in-person. That was basically a three hour set of 30-min interviews with the rest of the team. The junior team members were not really sure how to interview. They just wanted to get to know if I was someone they could work with.

Finally, I presented to the team (some were on the phone and on video). It was a 45 min preso, with ample time for Q&A. Expect at least one zinger of a question from someone acting like a jerk -- trying to show you up. This is of course just done to see how you react and work with it. After the preso, the team meets for 15 min to talk about you.

They want to know: do you know your stuff? Are you asking questions at the right level of analysis? are you inquisitive? are you arrogant? can you handle pressure? can you write well? can you speak well? Will you present yourself well before clients? can you work with others?

Hiring an analyst is a huge deal for an analyst firm. They will take their time and get the right person. In general, I found that most everyone was friendly and wanted to see this work out. Once they think you are a potential -- then it's your offer to loose. So work with them. Note -- these people are incredibly busy -- so don't expect that they are going to respond to your emails within a day.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think the industry will be in 5 years from now?   View Answer
    • How do you know that you are not completely wrong about your assessment of "X"?   View Answer
    I found that once they decided that I was going to get an offer, there was really nothing to negotiate. They have a pretty standard package for analyst. I found this phase very easy and non-contentious. They made me an offer that caused me to turn down my other offer and take the job.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Forrester Research in January 2007.

Lengthy and intense process which involves multiple phone and in-person interviews; writing a research paper and going through two rounds of edits; and presenting on your research paper to a team of analysts in person and on the phone. The analysts attending the presentation will challenge your findings and force you to explain/defend any claims.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario based questions about the advice you would give to a client in specific circumstances. This was an opening question that led to several other questions based on your answers.   Answer Question
    Not much wiggle room. It is pretty rigid about salary bands and stingy with alternatives such as options/sign-on bonuses.