Foth Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Foth

Candidate Interview Review

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Foth (Saint Paul, MN) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process started with me being contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin. I received a call from Foth HR in order to review my resume and get additional information. This conversation lasted about an hour with me asking my own questions about the company and trying to drill down into exactly what they were looking for in the position. Seemed to go o.k. Found out the position was based in Green Bay or St. Paul.

After the conversation with HR, I received a call from the recruiter. They wanted to set up a technical interview but Foth wasn't sure I wanted to move forward because I didn't sound enthusiastic and bubbly enough while talking with HR. I indicated that I would like to set up the technical interview.

The technical interview day came and I spoke with one Senior Manager, a Design Engineer and a Project Manager. Their organization is very flat. There are Engineers, PM's and then a couple of levels of corporate managers. I realized right away that this would be a position that a person enters and then all hopes of advancement are dead. The design engineer and Senior Manager seemed nice and down to earth. The PM believed in walking on water.

For many of us in the industry, we design and build because we are often the only engineering resource to the plants that we service. The Foth model is extremely compartmentalized. One is either a draftsman, a designer or a project manager. Each do their part and throw the project over the fence to the next person. For many industries, this way of doing things is a luxury because of the resources and # of people needed. They couldn't quite wrap themselves around the idea that a person can be responsible for a project from inception through commissioning. It just didn't compute! When asked whether I wanted to be a designer or a project manager, I replied that I am capable of doing both and didn't have a strong preference either way. At this point, I realized that the job description I had been given was vague. While presented in a general way as a project position, they specifically wanted a design engineer. My response was interpreted as "not being enthusiastic about working for Foth".

After the technical interview I was asked for a follow up phone call with HR and the Senior Manager who was part of the technical interview. The purpose of which was to discern how enthusiastic I was about working for Foth.

At this point in the game, I didn't want to talk to them anymore. The whole situation had become akin to a teenage girl who keeps on asking you if you like her during the duration of the first date. I just wanted them to go away.

I haven't heard from them since..............

Interview Questions

• Are you excited about moving to Minnesota?   1 Answer