Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

2.6

Assistant Paralegal (Temporary) Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

The interview was super quick. The attorneys mostly asked questions about experiences during undergraduate, and my interest in Law School. I thought it was nice how they appreciate people that are interested in Law School, but also people that are not. It shows that they value the different aspects of work that are pertinent to the legal field, aside from specifically practicing law.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my interest in Law School, and what I gained from my college experience.   Answer Question

Assistant Paralegal II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy (Matawan, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

I had an incredibly awful experience interviewing with Fragomen. I was contacted initially by a recruiter for a phone interview, which was actually a video interview. It was slightly inconvenient to find a private place to do this during the work day but I made it work because I was excited about interviewing for the firm. One of the questions asked was about my GPA which I wasn't completely sure about since I haven’t had to look at or think about my transcripts since 5 years ago when I graduated (other employers have deemed me competent by talking to me and my experience). I took a guess and told them I wasn't totally sure and it would be confirmed once I was asked for my transcripts. The interview was pretty basic and went well. I was contacted a few days later by another recruiter for an in-person interview. After several missed calls and voice mails back and forth, an interview is scheduled. Recruiter insisted that I get my transcripts ASAP which I can understand but I explained to him that I spoke to the school and they won’t email or fax and can only mail and I will pass on as soon as I get it. The day of the interview (a Thursday), it was snowing and the recruiter called me about 4 hours before the interview to cancel, even though their office had announced they would be closed the night before. Whatever, snow is bad and I can understand (even though I took time off from work for this interview). I don’t hear from the recruiter again until Monday afternoon when he leaves me a message saying that my interview is scheduled for tomorrow (WHAT?!?!) and giving me a hard time about the fact that they don’t have my transcripts. I again explained…similarly to their office, the University was closed due to snow and the process was delayed. The recruiter was quite condescending and basically made it seem like he didn't believe me. Also, he didn't seem to believe that I never got an email for an interview at 2PM the next day. I still agreed to the interview at SUPER last notice and told him the transcripts should be there that day. I sent them over to him around 8AM the next morning. I get a call about 1.5 hours before the interview (current job is quite far from their office, so I had taken a half day and was already on my way there) to say that my GPA was not good enough to work there and they would need to cancel. 1.) my GPA is not bad, it is a B. And it was higher in my major 2.) AT NO POINT did anyone mention that there was a GPA requirement and 3.) they have had my GPA since very early that morning and they wait until now to let me know. After a few moment of me pleading, recruiter said that if they had my transcripts earlier, this would not have happened (making me not only feel incompetent but also as if it was my fault that the transcript was not given to them earlier). This is the most unprofessional behavior I have ever seen and coming from someone who has worked in small non-profits, that really says something. Fragomen has no respect for peoples time and really should be more transparent about their process. I will never recommend Fragomen to anyone and will never interview for any firm after the experience I had with them.

Interview Questions

• What is your GPA, describe a difficult experience and how you handles it   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

First, it was through the staffing firm because the position was temp to hire. One I met with them, they set up an interview with HR at the firm. I met with HR for about 20 minutes and then met with a couple of the attorneys from different teams at the firm.

Assistant Paralegal I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy in December 2014.

Interview

Applied for job on Indeed. They got back to me a few days later and conducted a screening phone interview. After the phone interview, they called me a few days later wanting to set up an in person interview for later on that week.

The in person interview was a series of 5 separate conversations with HR, paralegals, and some partners, all done in 30 mins or less. I found that each separate interview was more like a conversation. They will want to know if you're a good fit basically. They asked about my resume, my related experience, transferrable skills, and interest in Immigration Law. There were no unexpected questions, but be ready to really prove why they should choose you over anyone else. If you make it through this step, they will send you an online skills assessment to complete which is a series of random questions testing specific skills and a writing section (fixing errors on a business letter-they send you the template beforehand so no surprises).

All in all, I found each interview to be pleasant and felt I did well presenting myself as a good fit for the firm. However, I have found that my experience following up with HR has been highly unprofessional. I have called numerous times asking for feedback and updates on my candidacy for the position. Every time I called they said I was first in line being considered for the position and that they would be in contact shortly. After I called them a third time I decided not to call anymore. It has been 3 weeks since I last spoke with them and they have made no efforts to contact me. I would have loved to work for this firm, but if they feel someone is not right for the position they should just be upfront with them instead of stringing them along for such a long time. Overall, I would not have applied for this position had I known how unprofessional they would be in responding to their interviewees. I wasted a lot of time and money on this interview.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about our firm, what makes you a good writer, why are you interested in immigration law   Answer Question

Immigration Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

Interviewed with a total of 6 persons at different times. After pleasant feedbacks no offer was made. Thankful for being considered however if they knew I was not going to get the job they shouldn't have strung me along. However, interviewers were very pleasant and cordial.

Assistant Paralegal I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

Fragomen is so large and screens so many candidates that it will take some time to coordinate a phone interview then on site interviews. All the people I met on site were very friendly and accommodating. One of the attorneys I was supposed to meet with got pulled into a meeting, but they were able to schedule another attorney. The scheduling caused me to be there an hour longer, but it was worth it because the person was so interesting. Overall, everyone was really nice and seemed to enjoy working at Fragomen. I am still waiting to hear back on whether I will be extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you remember a time when you made a huge mistake and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Assistant Paralegal I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

Very simple, had one year prior experience. Basic questions asked about experience, background, and intentions for next year or so. No trick questions or case studies. Everyone was very nice and seemed happy to meet me and excited for me to join the team. The lawyers were great, dealing with HR was a bit annoying and time consuming.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, offer exceeded prior salary significantly.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy.

Interview

Was contacted with an initial employee recruiter rather quickly, but there has been a delay in hearing back from the next person. But was told it was because the next person that should be contacting me just started her position a few days ago, so understandable. Hope to hear from them soon.

Assistant Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by recruiter. Had a good 30min phone interview. I was informed that the next step would be for the senior recruiter to contact me. She told me the individual would contact me to set up another phone interview within the next 3 days. It has been 3 weeks and still no response even though I sent a follow-up email.

Assistant Paralegal I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy in August 2014.

Interview

I had a terrible experience interviewing here and was strung along for almost two months by this company. I first had a phone interview and then was brought in two days later for an interview in their office. I was told a decision would be made promptly, however after a few weeks I was told I needed to come in for second interview. I was again told I would hear back by the end of the week on their decision. I followed up with the firm and no one returned any of my calls or emails. After three weeks of unreturned calls, I finally got in touch with someone who told me they chose another candidate. When I asked for feedback, I was told the only person who could talk to me had quit. I wasted much time and money interviewing with this company and they didn't even have the courtesy to provide me with any constructive feedback. I advise others to not waste their time applying to such a monkey operation.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that would make you successful in this position?   Answer Question