Fraunhofer Gesellschaft Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2014
Updated Apr 4, 2014

2.1

Senior Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft.

Striatforward!! No technical questions!! Based on your Director's instinct.!! They will check if you can make profit and do sales!!

It is a standard Public salary so no negotiation!!1

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sankt Augustin (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sankt Augustin (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in March 2010.

Interview in english and german. most questions are based on the project work on the website

Interview Questions
    salary is mostly not negotiable

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Karlsruhe, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Karlsruhe, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in November 2010.

Single interview with head of department and team leader. No really technical questions.

In hindsight, people are hired based on gut feeling and sympathy.

Interview Questions
    • No hard or unexpected question. Just some questions about my background and my skills. Programming skills or analytical skills were not tested.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich (Germany)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft.

I had just submited my CV and I had a short phone interview after which I was offered the internship.

Interview Questions
    • very general questions and yeah there was a question of my visa status to work in Germany   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Working Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bonn (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bonn (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft.

Had one on-site technical interview. was asked to discuss a project from my CV. Since it was a related field, there were a lot of in depth follow up questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a high level technical question in a related, but new domain to see domain. Had to walk through a solution from approach to implementation (In a new domain)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft.

There was a phone interview and surprisingly it wasn't technical. Though we talked a bit about tech stuff but I don't consider it technical.

I mentioned few live projects in my Resume and transcripts. At the end of the phone interview, the interviewer asked me to email the project's source code!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sankt Augustin (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sankt Augustin (Germany)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in December 2009.

1 interview. everything went fine. no detailed question. was more like a chat. very comfortable atmosphere. people where interested in having me

Interview Questions
    • None. There were almost no technical questions   View Answer
    There are no negotiations. Salaries are built upon german salaries system.

Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in December 2011.

initial contact by personal contact, 3 interviews, discuss general terms, discuss salery, finalize contract

Analog Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Erlangen (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erlangen (Germany)

The process took a day - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in February 2012.

I applied online and I was contacted by their HR department asking for scanned copies of all my documents, gradesheets etc. Then I was told I would be contacted for a phone interview if they find me suitable. After 2 weeks I got an e-mail asking my availability for a phone interview. They called on time and were very cool. They basically started with tell me about yourself and then on my resume. I felt they decided to offer me the position even before they interviewed and the interview sounded just like a formality.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation, they have fixed offers for all their positions i suppose

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Porto, Oporto (Portugal)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto, Oporto (Portugal)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft in January 2012.

When I discovered the opening for a senior researcher, I immediately called up Fraunhofer AICOS to know about the salary range and to find out if it would make sense to spend time collecting all the information that required and writing up an application. They were very friendly and although I they didn't give me any exact figures, I got some rough numbers (relatively attractive salary) and decided to move forward.

The requirements for the position where quite high: PhD, experience from industry -- preferably in research oriented projects, team management experience and project management experience. On top of that two letters of recommendation were necessary. I compiled everything and sent my application. I got a confirmation three days later and I was called for an interview a couple of weeks later.

I was interviewed by the R&D group leader and by a senior researcher. The interview was relatively informal and took around 90 minutes. For the first 15 minutes, a short presentation of Fraunhofer was made (nothing new for anyone who has done their research before attending the interview) and then I was asked to describe myself and my experience. A discussion on technology and potential markets for their research followed.

I was informed that they were in fact hiring four people and that it would be a two-step process. A second interview would take place with the director of the center during the coming week. Towards the end of the interview, I was also informed, much to my surprise, that anyone hired would not get a regular contract to start off with. Instead, Fraunhofer required that new hires accepted a post doctoral grant (it is much cheaper for the institute to hire staff that way because no social security is paid and they have no obligations if they would choose to terminate the contract) for six months and only afterwards would they offer contracts to the candidates that receive positive evaluations. Thus, candidates would need to accept a much lower salary and zero benefits for the first six month without any guarantee of a contract afterwards. Not something that I wanted to leave my current, stable job and relocate for!

The place seems nice. The people seem friendly. However, if you apply for a position as a senior researcher, be prepared to accept what essentially is an internship before being hired on a regular employment contract. I wish that Fraunhofer AICOS had been more open about that practice. It would have saved me the time it took to compile all the documents necessary for the application and the day-trip to their facilities.

Interview Questions
    • What industrial partners would you approach in order to increase sales of our services?   Answer Question

The conditions turned out to be different from those advertised and unattractive.

Worked for Fraunhofer Gesellschaft? Contribute to the Community!