Fred Alger

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.2

Equity Research Associate Interview

On-campus recruiting at my university, first round with two interviewers. There are quite a few technical questions involved in the interview, but nothing too difficult beyond basic accounting questions. Overall interview process was quite smooth, assuming that you do well on the technicals.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fred Alger.

First round interview was conducted on my school campus. It was two-on-one and there was a case--which took me by surprise. Second round interview was conducted on-site with multiple interviewers, this time I knew what to expect and was able to more confidently present myself. Overall my interview experience was positive.

Interview Questions
    • the case interview, which asked me to value how much a company was worth   Answer Question

Winter Research Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fred Alger in October 2012.

Submitted my resume and cover letter through my college's career service website. Heard about a week and a half later that I was granted an on-campus interview. The interview was with an alum who now works at the firm. The whole process took about 30-45 minutes. He asked a few basic, tell me about yourself, why Fred Alger, type questions. Then we went through a case in which I had to figure out whether a medical device company was valued correctly by the market. It was my first time ever doing any sort of case, so it went alright but not great.

Interview Questions
    • Just the case. I would suggest going through a few example companies and valuing them without using the stock market as an indicator.   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fred Alger in May 2010.

Met with numerous members of the team, from the junior to the most senior. The interviews went well (basic questions: what do you expect to get out of this job, why are you interested in this job, why are you looking for a different job, take this test, what's your current comp, comp expectations, etc). I would say that the communication on FA's part was average, slow, they couldn't give answers about the next steps, when what to expect, etc. I think it just fizzled away. It seemed they need to have too many people check off on even a junior hire, which made me wonder: if the hiring is like this, what's the internal decision making process like? Seemed very bureaucratic.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Fred Alger in March 2010.

I interviewed three times in person with FA in their offices in NYC, meeting six-seven people on their team, including several PMs. The interviews went okay, good connection and chemistry. I would love to work with some of the people there, but there were also some that I would not enjoy working with them. It seemed some of the most senior people want to control every aspect of the operations at the firm, while also being out the office and not wanting to be disturbed (taking long vacations and golf outings).

Pretty much, they couldn't come to a decision two weeks after I had the last round, so I called it off.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fred Alger.

Campus interview at target school, nearly all behavioral questions except when I explain the research report I did before, I caused some questions from the interviewers

Interview Questions
    • What kind of person are you in your friends' eye?   View Answer