Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.6

Administration Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

The process started with a phone screening from a recruiter. An in-person interview followed a week later. The interview was supposed to be an hour long and divided into two sections: 30 minutes with someone in HR and 30 minutes with two other staff members. The first part of the interview was normal; however, the second portion was a bizarre experience. One of the interviewers completely dominated conversation, talked about herself incessantly and neglected to ask me any questions. Her colleague was obviously embarrassed and tried to subtly redirect the interview back to me. After that was unsuccessful, she actually checked out of the interview "because she had to go home". Long story short, I was there for another hour and a half, subjected to this woman's stories which ran the gamut of political views on reproductive rights to inappropriate office gossip. I was uncomfortable but didn't know how to end the madness without jeopardizing my chances. The interview ended but not before she revealed another very personal tidbit about herself. I walked back to my car in complete disbelief. Unfortunately, a month has gone by and I never heard from them but my application is still in consideration, according to the website.

Animal Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

They called about a month after application. Interview with HR lasted about an hour. I then scheduled interview with Dept Head about a week later. Started work a couple days after that. Everything seemed organized and that if they call you for an interview you will get hired unless you mess up terribly.

Set Salary.

Recruiter Interview

Phone Interview > Team Interview > Direct Supervisor Interview. The phone interview was 30-45 minutes. The interviewers reviewed my work history and background as well as gave me a realistic job preview. The team interview was a lot of fun because it gave both me and the group I would be working with a chance to meet and interact with each other before I became a member of the organization. The interview with the direct supervisor followed and it was a continuation of the group interview but a bit more in depth.

Interview Questions
    • (Just one example). Tell me about a hiring challenge that you faced and how you overcame it. What did you learn that you could apply in the future?   Answer Question
    It was a very fair process. The organization makes every effort to make the best offer the first time.

Operations Manager Interview

normal and I can't recall since it was 25 years ago, It was brief and not very many questions

You say these are optional questions but you are forcing people to put something down so please don't say these are optional questions

Lab Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Applied online and did not hear back for a few weeks. Followed up by e-mail to lab coordinator. Scheduled phone interview a month after applying online. Asked basic questions: "post-graduation plans? Long-term goals? Why our lab?" Was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Was greeted by the coordinator who interviewed me for half an hour then interviewed by two other lab technicians who are currently working in the lab. Very friendly and inviting. Asked lots of questions regarding scenarios that can occur in the lab, calculating concentrations, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating molarity or specific lab preparation questions: "If you have a stock concentration of X M...etc."   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2014.

Like others here have said, it took the better part of two months to hear back. So long that I'd written them off and for the most part had forgotten I'd even applied.

Phone interview: Recruiter seemed to enjoy spending more time talking about a lot of hot air than actually listening. When asked about tangible benefits like paid holidays he said, "We offer more paid holidays than banks! Look on a calendar and if it's a holiday we probably observe it!" Yet he didn't answer the question.

When asked about paid vacation he dodged again, and in a round about way said two weeks, following that up with a lengthy statement about how you really could take as much time as you wanted regardless what the actual vacation policy is, that it's really no problem. Umm... Yeah... Sure...

The salary range was abysmally low. I understand that working for 1) big orgs, and 2) big non-profit orgs tends to skew the salary on the low end, but you could make more money slinging burgers at a fast food joint.

The recruiter told me during the interview that they were also hiring a Senior Dev position that would manage the group (the worst of both worlds, IMO). It was a positin I was unaware of and when I asked if he could tell me more about it as it fit my skill set better, he said I should go onto their site and look it up and get back to him because he didn't have it in front of him. I replied via email with some general questions about salary, expectations, time spent managing vs time spent coding, etc., and didn't hear anything back. After 10 days I sent a polite follow up email, more out of annoyance than anything else, and the recruiter replied a week after that to apologize that he'd been out of town (odd, as there were no OOO auto-replies) and that I should call him and he'd be happy to answer my questions. Again, dodging the questions I put to him.

For all the great work FHCRC does, they certainly make a sleazy impression on the recruiting end. Between an insultingly low salary and a recruiter that came across more like a used car salesman, I decided not to pursue things further. Thanks, no thanks.

Interview Questions
    • Really, the most difficult thing was getting through the phoner without wanting to shout at the recruiter to stop talking about himself.   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Submit application through companies website. interview process is mainly completed by department manager and can also have a follow up interview with other management. Working interview is sometimes performed , given applicant to have a feeling of environment and other workers. Informed of higher over phone or in person and then a facility tour and then set with HR for all the required paper work

Specialist Interview

I applied online and was contacted by Human Resources by phone for an interview. I interviewed with the team and then was called back a second time for an interview with their supervisor. Human Resources offered the job and, after some negotiation, I accepted.
    The process went smoothly and communication was clear.

Protocol Review Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2012.

Submitted my application online due to internal employee referral, receive phone call next day to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was casual and had the usual preliminary questions. Received call back later to schedule in person approximately 7 days. In-person interview consisted of 2 department employees and was somewhat casual. Honest and frank discussion about expectations, environment and growth potential. Was told about next steps and had a delayed response in communication (more than 10 days). When I did receive a phone call it was to say their process is taking longer than expected and that I should be hearing back "soon". Have yet to receive that communication.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you current employer for this position at The Hutch?   Answer Question
    • What kind of leadership/management style do you work best in?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2012.

The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes. The in person interview lasted for about 15 minutes. HR asked two very broad questions that did not allow me to go into detail about my work experiences. It seemed like they had a candidate already in mind because I felt rushed. Apply here if you want to waste your time. A better recruiting and interviewing process needs to be implemented in HR. This was the worst interview experience ever.