Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
www.fhcrc.org Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Interview Questions & Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Post Doctoral Research Associate Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very easy - just met with PI and talked about experience/interests. Met with senior staff members (should have met with other post docs - environment not the same for junior post docts).

Interview Question – When can you start - wanted immediately.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Lab Aide Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Interview Details – Applied online and did not hear back for a few weeks. Followed up by e-mail to lab coordinator. Scheduled phone interview a month after applying online. Asked basic questions: "post-graduation plans? Long-term goals? Why our lab?" Was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Was greeted by the coordinator who interviewed me for half an hour then interviewed by two other lab technicians who are currently working in the lab. Very friendly and inviting. Asked lots of questions regarding scenarios that can occur in the lab, calculating concentrations, etc.

Interview Question – Calculating molarity or specific lab preparation questions: "If you have a stock concentration of X M...etc."   Answer Question

Systems Analyst/Programmer Interview

Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with several people at each interview. Interviewing process is unnecessarily drawn out.

Interview Question – What makes you think you can raise optimism?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate for higher salary.

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in November 2010.

Interview Details – My initial interview was with HR, then an interview with Tim Ball, LPN & Lab Mgr.

Negotiation Details – I was very satisfied with the offer.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in November 2011.

Interview Details – The first interview was with the hiring manager, the second interview was with the team, and the third interview was with others with whom the position would work closely. The total number of interviews seemed extremely excessive for a simple contract position. Everyone was nice enough, but some personalities seemed belligerent and unfamiliar with legally acceptable interview questions.

Interview Question – What interests you about this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Staff Scientist Interview

Staff Scientist
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in July 2010.

Interview Details – GENERALL PEOPLE ARE NICE HERE. but they will know what they wnat. pretty competitive environment here. not very generous in terms of payment of the interview expense. much less generous than industry. good communication skill are required to achieve an offer. beatiful view and life condition here. about 2000 employees here and so many asian chinese scientist around the center. biology, and statitician are most favoriable postion in htis center

Protocol Review Coordinator Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted my application online due to internal employee referral, receive phone call next day to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was casual and had the usual preliminary questions. Received call back later to schedule in person approximately 7 days. In-person interview consisted of 2 department employees and was somewhat casual. Honest and frank discussion about expectations, environment and growth potential. Was told about next steps and had a delayed response in communication (more than 10 days). When I did receive a phone call it was to say their process is taking longer than expected and that I should be hearing back "soon". Have yet to receive that communication.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave you current employer for this position at The Hutch?   Answer Question
  • What kind of leadership/management style do you work best in?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2012.

Interview Details – The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes. The in person interview lasted for about 15 minutes. HR asked two very broad questions that did not allow me to go into detail about my work experiences. It seemed like they had a candidate already in mind because I felt rushed. Apply here if you want to waste your time. A better recruiting and interviewing process needs to be implemented in HR. This was the worst interview experience ever.

Administrative Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2011.

Interview Details – They were very respectful, informative and straight forward. I very much enjoyed meeting their HR/Recruiting staff, as well as the team members. They have a very nice campus and benefits-- I think anyone would be lucky to work there. I did turn them down, but will potentially apply there again in the future if I am job hunting again.

Interview Question – Do you understand statistical language   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Financial offer from another organization was more money.

Clinical Research Associate Interview

Clinical Research Associate
Seattle, WA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2010.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview.
2. Day one, 1:1 interview with manager.
3. Day two, 1:1 interview with P.I.

Interview asked everything that was listed in the job requirements. Never did they ask "how do you handle personality conflicts?" To me, that's a red flag.

Interview Questions

• There was not a tough interview question. Just had to read and relate my experiences to the list of potential questions.   Answer Question
  • There was not a tough interview question. Just related my work experiences and how they will, in a beneficial way, apply to the career I want.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate salary. I asked what the base salary was and worked from there.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center? Contribute to the Community!

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Videos

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center – Why Work for Us?

​​At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, our interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists and humanitarians work together to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other diseases. Our researchers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center interview questions and advice in Seattle, WA. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center employees and interview candidates.