Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.6

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phonecall from HR recruiter 1 week after I applied, with basic interview questions and my availability for in person interviews. Two weeks later, I had an in person interview with the Program Director and another PM. They gave an overview of their program for about 15 minutes, and then had questions for about 30 minutes. Overall they were polite, but didn't seem to be interested in my responses to their questions. Seemed like they were trying to scare me with how complicated the position was (I've been in Clinical Research for over 15 years), and it seems like an odd approach at an interview.

Interview Questions

The group didn't seem like they communicate well. For me, who I work with is almost as important as what I am doing.

Quality Assurance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Five weeks after I applied online, I received an email invitation for a phone interview. I interviewed with a person from HR and he asked me really basic questions about how my qualifications fit the requirements listed in the job description. He sounded really positive and told me he would call me in 3 days to set up another interview with the department heads. I never heard from him again. I emailed him once, maybe a week later, just to check in and see if he wanted to set something up. Nothing.

Statistical Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with lead scientist, then small groups of the rest of then lab starting with upper management down to research associates I would be closely working with. I was from out of town, so I met with everyone in one day, which was nice instead of having to drive back and forth multiple times. Usually there is a longer interview process and you don;t have to meet everyone in one day.

Interview Questions

• They asked mostly about the research work I had done and my experiences.   Answer Question

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website. One of their recruiters contacted me by phone about a week later. She asked me a few questions about my background and told me someone else would call me to set up an interview time. The other recruiter called me the next day to schedule my interview. At Fred Hutch, I met with the PI of the lab. He asked me a few questions about my background, then showed me around the lab and introduced me to everyone working there. The whole thing took less than an hour.

Lab Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online and did not hear back for a few weeks. Followed up by e-mail to lab coordinator. Scheduled phone interview a month after applying online. Asked basic questions: "post-graduation plans? Long-term goals? Why our lab?" Was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Was greeted by the coordinator who interviewed me for half an hour then interviewed by two other lab technicians who are currently working in the lab. Very friendly and inviting. Asked lots of questions regarding scenarios that can occur in the lab, calculating concentrations, etc.

Interview Questions

• Calculating molarity or specific lab preparation questions: "If you have a stock concentration of X M...etc."   Answer Question

Protocol Review Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

Submitted my application online due to internal employee referral, receive phone call next day to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was casual and had the usual preliminary questions. Received call back later to schedule in person approximately 7 days. In-person interview consisted of 2 department employees and was somewhat casual. Honest and frank discussion about expectations, environment and growth potential. Was told about next steps and had a delayed response in communication (more than 10 days). When I did receive a phone call it was to say their process is taking longer than expected and that I should be hearing back "soon". Have yet to receive that communication.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave you current employer for this position at The Hutch?   Answer Question
    • What kind of leadership/management style do you work best in?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes. The in person interview lasted for about 15 minutes. HR asked two very broad questions that did not allow me to go into detail about my work experiences. It seemed like they had a candidate already in mind because I felt rushed. Apply here if you want to waste your time. A better recruiting and interviewing process needs to be implemented in HR. This was the worst interview experience ever.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

Everything is coordinated through HR, which makes the process a bit clumsy. 1) HR contacts you to set up a phone interview. If scheduling is a problem they may need to call the manager and then call you back, rinse and repeat. 2) If phone interview is good, HR contacts you to set up in-person interview. Again, this can be a pain to get scheduled. 3) Possible multiple in-person interviews. Mine were all fairly casual Q&A type events--no tests or anything like that. 4) HR will contact you with an offer. In my case, when I countered the offer the HR person was able to respond without checking in with a manager, so I guess they were given a cap ahead of time. 5) Once hired, work with HR to fill out paperwork!

Interview Questions

• They asked why I would leave my old job if I loved it so much (I'd raved about it earlier in the conversation).   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was very little negotiation. They made an offer, I made a counter offer, they said "we can only go as high as X" and that was sufficient.

Systems Analyst/Programmer Interview

Application

Interview

Multiple interviews with several people at each interview. Interviewing process is unnecessarily drawn out.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate for higher salary.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

The first interview was with the hiring manager, the second interview was with the team, and the third interview was with others with whom the position would work closely. The total number of interviews seemed extremely excessive for a simple contract position. Everyone was nice enough, but some personalities seemed belligerent and unfamiliar with legally acceptable interview questions.