Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.6

Lab Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Applied online and did not hear back for a few weeks. Followed up by e-mail to lab coordinator. Scheduled phone interview a month after applying online. Asked basic questions: "post-graduation plans? Long-term goals? Why our lab?" Was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Was greeted by the coordinator who interviewed me for half an hour then interviewed by two other lab technicians who are currently working in the lab. Very friendly and inviting. Asked lots of questions regarding scenarios that can occur in the lab, calculating concentrations, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating molarity or specific lab preparation questions: "If you have a stock concentration of X M...etc."   Answer Question

Protocol Review Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2012.

Submitted my application online due to internal employee referral, receive phone call next day to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was casual and had the usual preliminary questions. Received call back later to schedule in person approximately 7 days. In-person interview consisted of 2 department employees and was somewhat casual. Honest and frank discussion about expectations, environment and growth potential. Was told about next steps and had a delayed response in communication (more than 10 days). When I did receive a phone call it was to say their process is taking longer than expected and that I should be hearing back "soon". Have yet to receive that communication.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you current employer for this position at The Hutch?   Answer Question
    • What kind of leadership/management style do you work best in?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2012.

The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes. The in person interview lasted for about 15 minutes. HR asked two very broad questions that did not allow me to go into detail about my work experiences. It seemed like they had a candidate already in mind because I felt rushed. Apply here if you want to waste your time. A better recruiting and interviewing process needs to be implemented in HR. This was the worst interview experience ever.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in January 2012.

Everything is coordinated through HR, which makes the process a bit clumsy.
    1) HR contacts you to set up a phone interview. If scheduling is a problem they may need to call the manager and then call you back, rinse and repeat. 2) If phone interview is good, HR contacts you to set up in-person interview. Again, this can be a pain to get scheduled. 3) Possible multiple in-person interviews. Mine were all fairly casual Q&A type events--no tests or anything like that. 4) HR will contact you with an offer. In my case, when I countered the offer the HR person was able to respond without checking in with a manager, so I guess they were given a cap ahead of time. 5) Once hired, work with HR to fill out paperwork!

Interview Questions
    • They asked why I would leave my old job if I loved it so much (I'd raved about it earlier in the conversation).   View Answer
    There was very little negotiation. They made an offer, I made a counter offer, they said "we can only go as high as X" and that was sufficient.

Systems Analyst/Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in January 2012.

Multiple interviews with several people at each interview. Interviewing process is unnecessarily drawn out.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate for higher salary.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in November 2011.

The first interview was with the hiring manager, the second interview was with the team, and the third interview was with others with whom the position would work closely. The total number of interviews seemed extremely excessive for a simple contract position. Everyone was nice enough, but some personalities seemed belligerent and unfamiliar with legally acceptable interview questions.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2011.

They were very respectful, informative and straight forward. I very much enjoyed meeting their HR/Recruiting staff, as well as the team members. They have a very nice campus and benefits-- I think anyone would be lucky to work there. I did turn them down, but will potentially apply there again in the future if I am job hunting again.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand statistical language   View Answer

Financial offer from another organization was more money.

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in November 2010.

My initial interview was with HR, then an interview with Tim Ball, LPN & Lab Mgr.

I was very satisfied with the offer.

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in July 2010.

GENERALL PEOPLE ARE NICE HERE. but they will know what they wnat. pretty competitive environment here. not very generous in terms of payment of the interview expense. much less generous than industry. good communication skill are required to achieve an offer. beatiful view and life condition here. about 2000 employees here and so many asian chinese scientist around the center. biology, and statitician are most favoriable postion in htis center

Clinical Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2010.

1. Phone interview.
    2. Day one, 1:1 interview with manager.
    3. Day two, 1:1 interview with P.I.

Interview asked everything that was listed in the job requirements. Never did they ask "how do you handle personality conflicts?" To me, that's a red flag.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a tough interview question. Just had to read and relate my experiences to the list of potential questions.   Answer Question
    • There was not a tough interview question. Just related my work experiences and how they will, in a beneficial way, apply to the career I want.   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary. I asked what the base salary was and worked from there.