Fred Meyer

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in June 2013.

Interview Details – Takes many weeks for them to call you back. There are at least 20 people a day that apply. So make sure to call them so you can get your name on there list to call you. You apply online before they call and complete an assessment. When you go in, you are interviews first by the HR, and them by the department manager. A lot of times if you make it to the department manager you will get hired. Good Luck!!

Interview Question – Tell me why you would be a good candidate for this position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You take what they offer which is based off experience.

Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview Details – I applied online to the Tigard, OR store and received no reply. A couple of weeks later the Beaverton, OR store (#035) called me to see if I would be interested in interviewing for a position there. I interview with the HR representative for about a half hour, during which she asked pretty standard retail and customer service related questions with a couple of Fred Meyer centered ones thrown in for good measure.

Interview Question – I don't remember any left fielders, but that was back in the Fall of 2009 so I can't be certain.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As I was walking through the parking lot to my waiting ride home, my phone rang. It was the HR rep offering me the position with a starting pay rate of $8.50 per hour, which at that time $0.50 above the minimum wage. She asked me if I would come back inside to take a quick mouth-swab drug test. I was introduced to the department manager, given a short tour of the department, and even a few of the employees. That all happened on the dame day without my having any customer service or cashiering experience whatsoever. I'm quite sure that that's pretty unusual and most likely wouldn't happen again, but it goes to show that if you're a polite, intelligent, and confident person you can get a job with the company pretty quick.

Richland, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in November 2010.

Interview Details – Process was pretty straight forward. They wanted to see some effort so they interviewed anyone that actually called to check on their application. Interview went great because I did some background on the company to get a general idea of what kind of questions they were going to ask. Lady their was pretty understanding of my lack of job experience.

Interview Question – Describe your definition of customer service.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was part-time.

CCK Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview Details – She asked questions and then told me she'd get ahold of me in a few days

Interview Question – What's the best customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Eagle River, AK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in October 2011.

Interview Details – There is 2 interviews, one with HR and one with immediate manager in the department you will be working for. You will then be sent for a drug test. After all that is done the HR will call you back to set up your training. It is possible you will train at a different store as they rotate turns. Training is one week.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected about the questions during interview process. Pretty standard stuff for any retail store. Name a time you went out of your way to exceed a customer's expectations? What do you enjoy most working with people? etc..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The wage is pretty straightforward. They base it on experience and offer you an amount. I took it as I was only part-time and going to school full time.

Coeur d'Alene, ID

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fred Meyer in April 2012.

Interview Details – Attire for interview didn't have to be a suit or anything fancy. I wore a pair of nice jeans and a button up shirt to the interview. I was asked a few basic questions and was asked to look over the job description. I was also asked about my old jobs. I was asked to take a drug test right then and was then hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation involved.

University Place, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fred Meyer in April 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called four days later by the Human Resources head to schedule an interview. I was told to walk through the door in the back in Apparel that said "Employees Only" and go into the first door on the right. The woman who interviewed me was very friendly and sweet and asked me various questions about where I lived, why I was going to school and why I wanted to work at Fred Meyer.
A couple days later, I went in to take the drug test. The person who conducted the test was the Apparel Manager, randomly. He had me swab the inside of my cheek and he put it in a plastic container.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate based off of my experience in retail. Because I previously worked at Nordstrom, the manager of CCK gave me a little bit higher than minimum wage.
I advise working at Fred Meyer but not as a cashier in CCK. Anywhere but there is better.

Very Easy Interview

CCK Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview Details – Call store to get job hotline number and see what jobs are posted. Then go to the fredmeyer.com website to apply. Don't apply for a job not posted, that just wastes your time. No Internet access - no chance to apply period. Go to the library. Don't call HR or try to check on your application. Don't mail in a resume - that is a waste of time and HR gets irritated. If you speak to HR you will be told that you will be called if you are a match for what they are looking for. If you get a call for an interview, hopefully you are home and answer the phone, because connecting with the Newberg HR is ridiculous. I hear it is the same at other FM stores. There is no way to leave a message if HR isn't in her office! The first interview is really general and if HR likes you, she will pass you along to a manager. You may not even know which position you are interviewing for before that first meeting. If you don't get the job, you won't get a call, you will get a postcard. If you do get offered a job after talking to the manager, then be ready to have a cheek swab drug test done before you leave. When that test comes back, you will get a call to come fill out paperwork and start orientation. It would be nice if HR would schedule it when you are there, but that didn't work for me. Be ready to stay near the phone and jump.

Interview Question – What do you think your weakness is?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. I wasn't even told how much I would make for sure until I signed the paperwork. At least with our union contract, they have to start you at at least 10 cents over min wage. Parcels don't get any raises, no matter how many hours they work. Cashiers do after 500 hours, then every 500 hours, I think. Food depts make more money and apparel, home and electronics make less.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fred Meyer

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fred Meyer CCK Cashier interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fred Meyer employees and interview candidates.