Fred Meyer

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

CCK Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fred Meyer.

She asked questions and then told me she'd get ahold of me in a few days

Interview Questions
  • What's the best customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Fred Meyer

CCK Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer.

Call store to get job hotline number and see what jobs are posted. Then go to the fredmeyer.com website to apply. Don't apply for a job not posted, that just wastes your time. No Internet access - no chance to apply period. Go to the library. Don't call HR or try to check on your application. Don't mail in a resume - that is a waste of time and HR gets irritated. If you speak to HR you will be told that you will be called if you are a match for what they are looking for. If you get a call for an interview, hopefully you are home and answer the phone, because connecting with the Newberg HR is ridiculous. I hear it is the same at other FM stores. There is no way to leave a message if HR isn't in her office! The first interview is really general and if HR likes you, she will pass you along to a manager. You may not even know which position you are interviewing for before that first meeting. If you don't get the job, you won't get a call, you will get a postcard. If you do get offered a job after talking to the manager, then be ready to have a cheek swab drug test done before you leave. When that test comes back, you will get a call to come fill out paperwork and start orientation. It would be nice if HR would schedule it when you are there, but that didn't work for me. Be ready to stay near the phone and jump.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating. I wasn't even told how much I would make for sure until I signed the paperwork. At least with our union contract, they have to start you at at least 10 cents over min wage. Parcels don't get any raises, no matter how many hours they work. Cashiers do after 500 hours, then every 500 hours, I think. Food depts make more money and apparel, home and electronics make less.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagle River, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagle River, AK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer in October 2011.

There is 2 interviews, one with HR and one with immediate manager in the department you will be working for. You will then be sent for a drug test. After all that is done the HR will call you back to set up your training. It is possible you will train at a different store as they rotate turns. Training is one week.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected about the questions during interview process. Pretty standard stuff for any retail store. Name a time you went out of your way to exceed a customer's expectations? What do you enjoy most working with people? etc..   Answer Question
    The wage is pretty straightforward. They base it on experience and offer you an amount. I took it as I was only part-time and going to school full time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Place, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Place, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fred Meyer in April 2009.

I applied online and was called four days later by the Human Resources head to schedule an interview. I was told to walk through the door in the back in Apparel that said "Employees Only" and go into the first door on the right. The woman who interviewed me was very friendly and sweet and asked me various questions about where I lived, why I was going to school and why I wanted to work at Fred Meyer.
    A couple days later, I went in to take the drug test. The person who conducted the test was the Apparel Manager, randomly. He had me swab the inside of my cheek and he put it in a plastic container.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate based off of my experience in retail. Because I previously worked at Nordstrom, the manager of CCK gave me a little bit higher than minimum wage.
    I advise working at Fred Meyer but not as a cashier in CCK. Anywhere but there is better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fred Meyer.

I applied online to the Tigard, OR store and received no reply. A couple of weeks later the Beaverton, OR store (#035) called me to see if I would be interested in interviewing for a position there. I interview with the HR representative for about a half hour, during which she asked pretty standard retail and customer service related questions with a couple of Fred Meyer centered ones thrown in for good measure.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any left fielders, but that was back in the Fall of 2009 so I can't be certain.   Answer Question
    As I was walking through the parking lot to my waiting ride home, my phone rang. It was the HR rep offering me the position with a starting pay rate of $8.50 per hour, which at that time $0.50 above the minimum wage. She asked me if I would come back inside to take a quick mouth-swab drug test. I was introduced to the department manager, given a short tour of the department, and even a few of the employees. That all happened on the dame day without my having any customer service or cashiering experience whatsoever. I'm quite sure that that's pretty unusual and most likely wouldn't happen again, but it goes to show that if you're a polite, intelligent, and confident person you can get a job with the company pretty quick.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer in June 2013.

Takes many weeks for them to call you back. There are at least 20 people a day that apply. So make sure to call them so you can get your name on there list to call you. You apply online before they call and complete an assessment. When you go in, you are interviews first by the HR, and them by the department manager. A lot of times if you make it to the department manager you will get hired. Good Luck!!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you would be a good candidate for this position.   View Answer
    No negotiation. You take what they offer which is based off experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Fred Meyer in July 2014.

The interview process was 2 separate interviews, the first with a group of four others. Questions were basic, what is work ethic, describe your wok ethic in 3 words, why do you want to work for the company, what do you want to get out of your employment with Fred Meyer. The second interview was with the manager and asked the same basic questions. The third visit was for a drug test, pretty simple process. Took a few weeks from the first interview until the drug test

Interview Questions
    • How would you turn a negative experience into a positive experience?   Answer Question

The top pay for a cashier is $15.10 an hour, I make more than that at my current job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer in November 2010.

Process was pretty straight forward. They wanted to see some effort so they interviewed anyone that actually called to check on their application. Interview went great because I did some background on the company to get a general idea of what kind of questions they were going to ask. Lady their was pretty understanding of my lack of job experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your definition of customer service.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was part-time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fred Meyer in April 2012.

Attire for interview didn't have to be a suit or anything fancy. I wore a pair of nice jeans and a button up shirt to the interview. I was asked a few basic questions and was asked to look over the job description. I was also asked about my old jobs. I was asked to take a drug test right then and was then hired.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much negotiation involved.