Fred Meyer

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.4

Loss Prevention Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer in December 2008.

First a phone call, then a 'soft' interview to see if you are right for Fred Meyer, then an interview with a manager, then a final 3rd interview after a saliva drug test with corporate staff member. They run background checks as well. The process took awhile for myself - it was a long wait from the time I first applied to when I finally was hired until I worked my first day of training.

Interview Questions
    • A shoplifter pulls a knife on you, what do you do?   View Answer
    • How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.   View Answer
    No negotiating, not flexible with pay or schedules. Very strict on policy.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

interviewed at Fred Meyer in November 2013.

An online assessment subjected me to questions about my dislike for small talk, my ability to "know" what other people are thinking and my preference for social activities that involve big crowds. The questions asked during this assessment were identical to those used in diagnostic screenings for autism spectrum disorder.

Interview Questions
    • "You do not like small talk."   View Answer
    • "It's fun to go out to events with big crowds."   View Answer
    • "It is easy for you to feel what others are feeling."   View Answer

Home and Garden Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseburg, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseburg, OR

interviewed at Fred Meyer in October 2014.

I was contacted almost immediately for an interview at the store. It was a group interview where the manager asked all in the interview 6 questions to answer without using the same answer that someone else gave. it was a difficult process some of the time. After the 6 questions had been answered by everyone in attendance, we all filled out a two page questionnaire and handed it in. Then we were allowed to leave.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burien, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burien, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Fred Meyer in April 2010.

WELL YOU FILL OUT A ONLINE APPLICATION IF THEY LIKE WHAT THEY SEE THEY CALL TO COME IN FOR A ONE ON ONE INTERVIEW

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer in February 2009.

2 People, for an intern application, they have typical questions they ask you. Then there is a second round with the actual department head you are applying to

Interview Questions
    • A time when you experienced someone doing something unethical & what you did about it.   Answer Question
    didn't try.. It seems like they are set with their interns

Loss Prevention Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fred Meyer.

I submitted an application online, received a call the next day from the human resources manager to schedule an in-person interview. After that interview there was an interview with the loss prevention manager, and then an interview with the regional loss manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about Fred Meyer and questions regarding liability for loss prevention.   Answer Question

Certified Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Fred Meyer in March 2014.

Extremely last minute call to come in and interview, I had 6 hours notice. They take more than two weeks before calling to tell me that they are still running all of their own background checks and that it could take up to another 3 weeks to hear any news regarding my fate.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to complete a series of calculations and was caught off guard when they had me type out a few sentences off of a sheet in order to time my typing skills.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fred Meyer.

I filled out an online application at Worksource Oregon at PCC computer use for jobs center. It was not a very long or complicated process, until you reached the personality section which resembled the one McDonald's uses on their online application. It is more of a psychology test than a job application, which was interesting. They don't request references or a very detailed work or education history, but they do want addresses for the past five or ten years which led me to believe was for credit reference check purposes, as indeed it turned out to be when I had an initial interview with Shelley in the Beaverton HR a few days later and she had me double check the info I had entered in the online application. After I received a postcard saying I had not been passed through to the next interview with a manager to continue the hiring process I ordered and looked at all three of my credit reports online (for free) from Experian, Equifax, and Trans-Union companies. I believe I may have incorrectly made a statement about my student loan status and that information made it appear as if I was being untruthful which could have caused the lack of hire. I am sure there are many other possible reasons as well. I am very sincerely an honest person, and I think it is very confusing to hear about people who lie or bend the truth on resumes and applications or in interviews and then get jobs that you didn't. ON the OTHER hand, I could use A LOT more interview practice, and more confidence in myself.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like least about your last job?   View Answer

Home Department Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fred Meyer in May 2014.

Applied online received a phone call from the head of HR four days later to attend a group interview. Five other people interviewed with me in the group interview with the head of HR who was really nice, fun and engaging. Asked customer service and sales questions and had us conduct a mock sale to the other candidates. I received a callback from HR for another interview with the head of the Home Department three days later. Waited over 30 minutes past my interview time, then the manager came out and shook my hand way too hard and ran up some stairs super fast on the way back to the office. I pretty much totally failed on the first question because I was a bit thrown by his behavior and the question itself. He ended the interview saying he had to talk to a few more people and would call me that night or the next day. I got a call 3 days later from the HR manager and was told that I was not being offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • "So, tell me about yourself." It was just so general it threw me for a loop, I hadn't heard it in an interview before but at least now I am ready for it.   Answer Question

Freight Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Fred Meyer in June 2014.

Group style: 4 others and myself were taken into a back room and asked to take turns answering questions in sequence around a table. Questions were: a)Why do you want to work for Fred Meyer and what are your goals working here? b)Give 3 attributes and a quality that stands out about yourself. c)What motivates you to do your best? d)Give a word that highlights your best characteristic. e)What qualities do you like in an employer? Prior to this question and answer phase though actually we were asked to look over our applications that we had submitted online and sign them. At the end of the interview, we were given additional questions to answer in written format, both simple questions about availability, desired wage, etc, and more in-depth subjective ones. We were told some of us would be invited back for a 2nd interview with the store manager, but I got the old end of the line notice in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the 1st one (i.e. why do you want to work at Fred Meyer and what are you goals working there?).   Answer Question