Fred Meyer

Relevance Date Difficulty

CCK Cashier Interview

CCK Cashier
Vancouver, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Fred Meyer in July 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was 2 separate interviews, the first with a group of four others. Questions were basic, what is work ethic, describe your wok ethic in 3 words, why do you want to work for the company, what do you want to get out of your employment with Fred Meyer. The second interview was with the manager and asked the same basic questions. The third visit was for a drug test, pretty simple process. Took a few weeks from the first interview until the drug test

Interview Question – How would you turn a negative experience into a positive experience?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The top pay for a cashier is $15.10 an hour, I make more than that at my current job

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application at Worksource Oregon at PCC computer use for jobs center. It was not a very long or complicated process, until you reached the personality section which resembled the one McDonald's uses on their online application. It is more of a psychology test than a job application, which was interesting. They don't request references or a very detailed work or education history, but they do want addresses for the past five or ten years which led me to believe was for credit reference check purposes, as indeed it turned out to be when I had an initial interview with Shelley in the Beaverton HR a few days later and she had me double check the info I had entered in the online application. After I received a postcard saying I had not been passed through to the next interview with a manager to continue the hiring process I ordered and looked at all three of my credit reports online (for free) from Experian, Equifax, and Trans-Union companies. I believe I may have incorrectly made a statement about my student loan status and that information made it appear as if I was being untruthful which could have caused the lack of hire. I am sure there are many other possible reasons as well. I am very sincerely an honest person, and I think it is very confusing to hear about people who lie or bend the truth on resumes and applications or in interviews and then get jobs that you didn't. ON the OTHER hand, I could use A LOT more interview practice, and more confidence in myself.

Interview Question – What did you like least about your last job?   View Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Fred Meyer in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and a few days later received a phone call. They left a message, so I called back a few times. The last time I called, I was able to set up an interview. I went in for an interview a few days later, and they originally wanted me to be a parcel clerk, but called me in the next day for a second interview. Then, they wanted me to be a courtesy clerk.

Interview Question – What makes you think you deserve the job more than the others who applied?   View Answer

Certified Pharmacy Technician Interview

Certified Pharmacy Technician
Vancouver, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Fred Meyer in March 2014.

Interview Details – Extremely last minute call to come in and interview, I had 6 hours notice. They take more than two weeks before calling to tell me that they are still running all of their own background checks and that it could take up to another 3 weeks to hear any news regarding my fate.

Interview Question – I was asked to complete a series of calculations and was caught off guard when they had me type out a few sentences off of a sheet in order to time my typing skills.   Answer Question

CCK Cashier Interview

CCK Cashier
Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fred Meyer.

Interview Details – I applied online to the Tigard, OR store and received no reply. A couple of weeks later the Beaverton, OR store (#035) called me to see if I would be interested in interviewing for a position there. I interview with the HR representative for about a half hour, during which she asked pretty standard retail and customer service related questions with a couple of Fred Meyer centered ones thrown in for good measure.

Interview Question – I don't remember any left fielders, but that was back in the Fall of 2009 so I can't be certain.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As I was walking through the parking lot to my waiting ride home, my phone rang. It was the HR rep offering me the position with a starting pay rate of $8.50 per hour, which at that time $0.50 above the minimum wage. She asked me if I would come back inside to take a quick mouth-swab drug test. I was introduced to the department manager, given a short tour of the department, and even a few of the employees. That all happened on the dame day without my having any customer service or cashiering experience whatsoever. I'm quite sure that that's pretty unusual and most likely wouldn't happen again, but it goes to show that if you're a polite, intelligent, and confident person you can get a job with the company pretty quick.

Apparel Clerk Interview

Apparel Clerk
Vancouver, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in October 2011.

Interview Details – Fred Meyer is a wonderful place to work. Although if you do not know anyone that works here it is very hard. You must follow up repeatedly to HR in order to get a response for an interview.

Interview Question – How much compensation are looking to get?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Associate
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Fred Meyer in September 2013.

Interview Details – There was only one interview; a group interview that was relatively painless. The woman leading the interview was extremely pleasant and handled the process well. It did seem to take an inordinate amount of time from my first interview to when they contacted me to offer the position.

Interview Question – What are your special qualities that differentiate you from other prospective employees?   View Answer

Freight PIC Interview

Freight PIC
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fred Meyer in January 2010.

Interview Details – Fairly standard and surprisingly smooth.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Vancouver, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in July 2009.

Interview Details – Getting the job was easy. I submitted a resume and application and went for one interview. I was asked questions about my people skills and if I had experience with money. There was also a test. I went to a training class after I was hired.

Interview Question – What would you do for an unhappy customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any. They told me how much the job paid and when training started.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Vancouver, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fred Meyer in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and they called within the week I applied. I felt the interviews were very straightforward. First interview was with the HR director (a basic "do you not have piercings coming out of every part of your body" inspection) and then an interview with the department's on-duty manager.

A week after the second interview, I was called saying I got the job. I came in and did the drug test the next day. Drug test cost money (mouth swab), so you definitely have the job if they are testing you. Just know that the drug test may come on a later day, not necessarily at the second interview, contrarily to some other comments on here. The store I interviewed at was taking in a lot of applicants, so lots of weeding out needed to be done.

Make sure to ask how long it should be until you expect a response from them.

It was around a week before I was called back in for the second interview. Two to three weeks after that before I started working.

Interview Question – What is an acceptable amount of days to miss [due to: family emergency, etc.]?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked how much I expected to make in the first interview. That was the only chance for negotiation. You must join the union if you're not in a RTW state (everywhere but Idaho), but the monthly dues aren't terrible.

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!