Fred Meyer

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Retail Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fred Meyer in October 2011.

Applied online and called the store to follow up. Was offered an interview for about two weeks later. Standard interview, except I feel like the interviewer set me up to fail. She looked at my resume, saw that I had a college degree in an unrelated subject and asked what "What do you REALLY want to do?" Maybe I just don't have a ton of interview experience, but I was caught off guard and my first instinct is honesty, and I admitted that I may have other long-term plans besides working retail at Fred Meyer for the rest of my life. I thought this would be a safe thing to do because I was interviewing for a temporary position. Later, when I called to follow up, she cited this as her reason for not hiring me, because "we're looking for people who want to make a career out of Fred Meyer." It just seemed a little tricky, and I don't think it makes sense to eliminate ambitious people during a hiring process.

Interview Questions
  • (Sees college degree on resume) What do you really want to do?   View Answer