Freddie Mac Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.9

Test Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (Herndon, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview process took exactlky 48 hours. It started with phone interview where my previous experience and technical skills were tested. Next had a written test, real tough one. Here a lot of SQL queries were asked and unix commands were also tested.

Interview Questions

• if data coming from two different table say teradata and oracle...how would you compare the differences in same table (say employee) coming form teradat and Oracle.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

1st phone interview was about half hour, talked to manager of department and was asked about past experieneces within finance and accounting, as well as IT work and past education. Invited to Freddie Day, somewhat disorganized, people come in from all around the US for it. three one-on-one interviews and a bunch of presentations and tours. Not very exciting place.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about your experience with auditing and how would you go about finding help if you were unsure of an answer on the job.   Answer Question

Campus Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by two in person interviews. There a was a long delay in follow up initially because of team changes but once the processed started it was relatively average wait and follow up time.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

There was no words i could decribe how horible this interview was...they kept me wating for almost 20 minutes past late the time the told me to show up...even then they didn't offer me glass of water ( it had been a hot day outside up words of 90 degrees plus!)and they once i got to the face- to -face they didnt even ask question,, pretty much rejected me right on the spot! Stay far away from the company if y want to be apprecated..i work at Rite aid now and beleive it or not the treatment so much better then some these other "office type suit rut low down desk joker job"

Interview Questions

• They ask me ' why should Freddie mac hire you" like they didnt have a clue why im showing up!! its not ROCKET SCIENCE   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied at my campus and was quickly followed up with an interview. The campus interview had very easy questions (What is SQL, what is an SLA) that anyone applying for the job would know. Also asked three easy behavioral questions. The interviewer was nice, the questions were softballs. Invited to McLean shortly afterwards. The first night there was a meet and greet on campus. Everyone was thrown into a catered room for 2 hours and we got to talk to other applicants, interviewers, and current people in the rotational program. It was useful to get a little face time with the people who might be interviewing us the next day. The whole "Freddie Day" thing was a little weird the next day. It's a ~6 hour day of presentations, interviews, and a short tour. So besides all the regular stuff you would expect in an interview like this, there was an awkward presentation about why Freddie Mac wasn't responsible for the mortgage crisis with some data to make FM look like the best of the industry. I'm not saying they're a bad company or caused anything, but you know the point of your discount vacation where you realize you're going to be trapped in a room while someone tries to sell you a timeshare? It felt like that. There were two 40-minute interviews with two different groups (one full-timer interviewing, one rotational program guy taking notes). The questions are read off a script, so don't expect a natural back and forth. I read that this system felt unfair because the reviewers had different standards. I shrugged this off thinking "How bad could it be?". My two interviews were polar opposites. My first interview went extremely well. It was conversational and relaxed. I was asked some standard team experience questions, some behavioral questions, and simple situations. I had a couple more relatively softball IT questions too. It was mostly related to previous projects I had worked on. The second interview was garbage. I was put with an older guy with an accent (I'm bad with accents). It was clear he had never looked over the interview questions, he even seemed surprised at what kind of questions they were. This interview was entirely technical and project management based. There were questions about software/system testing, use cases, the different UML diagrams, OOP, databases, XML and risk management. Every time I got a question partially wrong or said I didn't have experience with something led into a short lecture about just how wrong I was. The rotational employee taking notes was silent the whole interview. It's not that the questions were difficult, it's just that I felt like I was constantly being grilled and even correct answers didn't make him happy. Speaking with the other applicants outside, it was obviously a mixed bag. Some people had interviewers they just couldn't understand, others had completely friendly ones that would push you in the right direction if you were struggling with a question. Probably worth mentioning, we were told the interviews were strictly behavioral and there were probably 80% technical. Also, the group of applicants was incredibly diverse. There were strict computer science and engineering majors to IT, IS, MIS majors and everything in between. Even people did relatively well in the interviews didn't feel the questions really accurately gauged how well you fit the job (But what do we know?). Following the interviews we got a short tour of the campus. The tour guide was very blunt and told us how it was at FM (mixed bag with managers, current pay freeze, employee apathy), thinking we were newhires and not applicants. He called FM an "OK place to work", which is the feeling I got from most other people I spoke with. Even at a panel earlier, a girl in the rotational program spoke about how she worked 60 weeks and appeared to almost fall asleep as she spoke. This is a person HR chose to sell the company to us! I wouldn't say I had a bad impression of FM, but I didn't get the impression that employees were especially devoted. This would have been a difficult interview to prepare for considering the breadth of information covered by all areas of all rotations from business continuity planning to security analysis. Only a couple of those areas are actually explored in the interview, which is lucky or unlucky for you depending on what your personal functional expertise is. Know your information systems basics (use cases, SDLC, UML diagrams). Know a little bit about databases (vendors, tuning, schema). Know OOP basics (objects, abstract classes, pointers). Know about software testing tools and methods. Have a PROJECT to talk about. Work experience seemed completely irrelevant unless you had a project from inception to delivery; don't expect to talk much about your sysadmin or technical writing job. Cross your fingers and hope for good interviewers. Failing that, at least enjoy some free food while you're over there.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage the risk of a change in your project?   Answer Question
    • What (software testing tools, databases, programming languages, system planning software, trouble ticket systems) do you have experience with?   Answer Question
    • What is a test plan?   Answer Question
    • What is a (use case, activity, sequence, etc.) diagram?   Answer Question
    • What is (UAT, regression, unit) testing?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (Arlington, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had a campus interview with the financial engineering department. The interview was technical. Many bond questions. Another phone interview was arranged with a guy from a different department. The interview was more like him explaining about his department. I have never heard back from then afterwards.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by a on-site interview that consist of 3-4 interviewers questioning you with a technology analyst present. One interview is technical, the other two are more or less to see whether you fit within the organization. They fly you to VA if you live out of state. All candidates are setup in a nearby hotel. The process for the on-site interview lasts 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Questions are pretty straight forward, answer in STAR method and you'll be fine   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiations, they start all new technology analyst at the same rate.

Modeling Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

HR person called me to schedule phone interview, and I had interview with one of the hiring manager one day after. He just wen over my resume and asked one technical question. It took me about 3 weeks to be invited for on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• what method you should use for mortgage modeling?   1 Answer

Business Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

I got the interview through career services. Freddie Mac emailed me asking to sign up for an interview. The first part was easy just behavioral and about experience. The second part was all technical questions. They had a list of technical questions if you said you were experienced with a coding language they made you write it on the write board in the interview room. It was very intimidating.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very confusing. Was not clear who would be the supervisor. Very rushed and haphazard.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiation as the position was a consultant position.