Freddie Mac

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
McLean, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Freddie Mac in March 2012.

Interview Details – 1st phone interview was about half hour, talked to manager of department and was asked about past experieneces within finance and accounting, as well as IT work and past education. Invited to Freddie Day, somewhat disorganized, people come in from all around the US for it. three one-on-one interviews and a bunch of presentations and tours. Not very exciting place.

Interview Question – Can you tell me about your experience with auditing and how would you go about finding help if you were unsure of an answer on the job.   Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Call Center
Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Freddie Mac in April 2012.

Interview Details – a lot of questions that see how well you can speak on the phone

Tech Change Management Manager Interview

Tech Change Management Manager
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Freddie Mac in April 2012.

Interview Details – Process was fairly simple, I was contacted by FM recruiter spoke with him about my background in Change Management. I was emailed that hiring would like to interview as well within 2 days days after speaking with Recruiter. Phone interview with hiring manager lasted maybe 15 - 20 minutes, asked questions like.. What is Change Management? Please describe ITIL framework. Hiring manager was Release Manager and has a different perspective on what the Change Manager, Mngr should do. I asked if role role was Technical and was advised No. No mention at that time looking for someone that is currently manager. I have been a Lead within CM, but not Manager. My management was not within change management. Since interview was so short, I knew I would not be invited for inperson interview.

To my surprise, I was contacted about 3 weeks later that FM wanted to interview me in person. Flight was set up fairly quickly by HR for the next week. Email was sent to ask me if times worked for me. They didn't really but I didn't complain. Flight arriving at 11:30PM at night when interview is at 9:30 AM next morning. OK fine. Departing 6:30 PM when interview was over at 11:30. OK fine.

Arrived in VA around midnight, took Taxi to hotel which is about 20 - 30 ride from airport. Dulles and Ronald Reagan are of close proximity.

Interview Day. There is shuttle from Hilton hotel that will take you to Freddie Mac, which is 5 min away. You could walk, if you know where you are going but would take you a little bit. Not recommended.

Scheduled for 3 interviews. Hiring Manager, Peer, and Director. Fairly simple questions.
1. What would you do if a change was not approved and implemented anyway?
2. How would you build relationships within the organization?
3. Do you have any Remedy experience? They could have asked me that on phone interview and not wasted money to fly me out since that is somethign specific that you are looking for. Key note, not technical but Remedy experience is preferred, but not stated on jd.
4. Why do you want to relocate?

I was not impressed by how process was handled as they could have asked better questions from phone interview in order to select candidate for role. Role has been open for quite sometime, Oct I believe it was stated. They are looking for a needle in haystack so, please be aware. If you have Change request experience.

Have not heard anything thus far, but was contacted by a 3rd party vendor for the role just this week.. Funny huh

Interview Question – How would you build relationships within the organization?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Freddie Mac in October 2010.

Interview Details – There was a short personality interview given on-campus. There were some technical questions that were pretty straight-forward.

Interview Question – What is a router?   View Answers (2)

Business Operations Associate Interview

Business Operations Associate
McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Freddie Mac in October 2010.

Interview Details – First interview was at my college campus. Pretty standard behavioral questions. After I got through the first interview, they invited me on site second round interview. Included two rounders, each with 2 people. It was in a large room with multiple interviews occuring at the same time. They asked you to describe Freddie Mac's business, and then drilled you with behavioral questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – flat rate for all college hires

Test Analyst Interview

Test Analyst
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Freddie Mac in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process took exactlky 48 hours. It started with phone interview where my previous experience and technical skills were tested. Next had a written test, real tough one. Here a lot of SQL queries were asked and unix commands were also tested.

Interview Question – if data coming from two different table say teradata and oracle...how would you compare the differences in same table (say employee) coming form teradat and Oracle.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Freddie Mac in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a campus interview with the financial engineering department. The interview was technical. Many bond questions. Another phone interview was arranged with a guy from a different department. The interview was more like him explaining about his department. I have never heard back from then afterwards.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
McLean, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Freddie Mac in September 2011.

Interview Details – I had a 30 minute one on one interview that consisted mainly of me describing my previous work and education experience. There were no technical questions, but I was asked some questions about how Freddie Mac works and what they do. I thought the interview went very well especially since I previously completed an externship with Freddie Mac. I sent a thank you not to my interviewer, and have heard absolutely nothing since. No emails to tell me that I was not selected no phone calls, zero contact.

Interview Question – Do you understand what it is that Freddie Mac does and if so could you please give a brief overview?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Freddie Mac in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied at my campus and was quickly followed up with an interview. The campus interview had very easy questions (What is SQL, what is an SLA) that anyone applying for the job would know. Also asked three easy behavioral questions. The interviewer was nice, the questions were softballs. Invited to McLean shortly afterwards.

The first night there was a meet and greet on campus. Everyone was thrown into a catered room for 2 hours and we got to talk to other applicants, interviewers, and current people in the rotational program. It was useful to get a little face time with the people who might be interviewing us the next day.

The whole "Freddie Day" thing was a little weird the next day. It's a ~6 hour day of presentations, interviews, and a short tour. So besides all the regular stuff you would expect in an interview like this, there was an awkward presentation about why Freddie Mac wasn't responsible for the mortgage crisis with some data to make FM look like the best of the industry. I'm not saying they're a bad company or caused anything, but you know the point of your discount vacation where you realize you're going to be trapped in a room while someone tries to sell you a timeshare? It felt like that.

There were two 40-minute interviews with two different groups (one full-timer interviewing, one rotational program guy taking notes). The questions are read off a script, so don't expect a natural back and forth. I read that this system felt unfair because the reviewers had different standards. I shrugged this off thinking "How bad could it be?". My two interviews were polar opposites. My first interview went extremely well. It was conversational and relaxed. I was asked some standard team experience questions, some behavioral questions, and simple situations. I had a couple more relatively softball IT questions too. It was mostly related to previous projects I had worked on.

The second interview was garbage. I was put with an older guy with an accent (I'm bad with accents). It was clear he had never looked over the interview questions, he even seemed surprised at what kind of questions they were. This interview was entirely technical and project management based. There were questions about software/system testing, use cases, the different UML diagrams, OOP, databases, XML and risk management. Every time I got a question partially wrong or said I didn't have experience with something led into a short lecture about just how wrong I was. The rotational employee taking notes was silent the whole interview. It's not that the questions were difficult, it's just that I felt like I was constantly being grilled and even correct answers didn't make him happy.

Speaking with the other applicants outside, it was obviously a mixed bag. Some people had interviewers they just couldn't understand, others had completely friendly ones that would push you in the right direction if you were struggling with a question. Probably worth mentioning, we were told the interviews were strictly behavioral and there were probably 80% technical. Also, the group of applicants was incredibly diverse. There were strict computer science and engineering majors to IT, IS, MIS majors and everything in between. Even people did relatively well in the interviews didn't feel the questions really accurately gauged how well you fit the job (But what do we know?).

Following the interviews we got a short tour of the campus. The tour guide was very blunt and told us how it was at FM (mixed bag with managers, current pay freeze, employee apathy), thinking we were newhires and not applicants. He called FM an "OK place to work", which is the feeling I got from most other people I spoke with. Even at a panel earlier, a girl in the rotational program spoke about how she worked 60 weeks and appeared to almost fall asleep as she spoke. This is a person HR chose to sell the company to us! I wouldn't say I had a bad impression of FM, but I didn't get the impression that employees were especially devoted.

This would have been a difficult interview to prepare for considering the breadth of information covered by all areas of all rotations from business continuity planning to security analysis. Only a couple of those areas are actually explored in the interview, which is lucky or unlucky for you depending on what your personal functional expertise is. Know your information systems basics (use cases, SDLC, UML diagrams). Know a little bit about databases (vendors, tuning, schema). Know OOP basics (objects, abstract classes, pointers). Know about software testing tools and methods. Have a PROJECT to talk about. Work experience seemed completely irrelevant unless you had a project from inception to delivery; don't expect to talk much about your sysadmin or technical writing job. Cross your fingers and hope for good interviewers. Failing that, at least enjoy some free food while you're over there.

Modeling Interview

Modeling
McLean, VA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Freddie Mac in October 2011.

Interview Details – HR person called me to schedule phone interview, and I had interview with one of the hiring manager one day after. He just wen over my resume and asked one technical question. It took me about 3 weeks to be invited for on-site interview.

Interview Question – what method you should use for mortgage modeling?   View Answer