Free People

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Free People in February 2015.

I walked into the store and asked if they were hiring. They were so I dropped off my resume, applied online and sent them an email letting them know that I had applied online. They scheduled and interview for the next day. Sat down with the daily manager and spoke to her for about a half an hour. She was extremely friendly and easy to talk to!

Interview Questions
    • What is you style icon, describe your style to me, what is a quality you have admired in a former boss, why free people, how would your friends/coworkers describe you   Answer Question

Fashion Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Free People in February 2015.

I walked into the store and asked if they were hiring. They were so I dropped off my resume, applied online and sent them an email letting them know that I had applied online. They scheduled and interview for the next day. Sat down with the manager and spoke to her for about an hour. She was extremely friendly!

Visual Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Free People in January 2015.

I applied on the URBN career website for both the assistant store manager and visual manager positions because I wasn't sure if I was overqualified for one based on other interviewees' reviews. Two days later, I was asked to complete the online opinion survey, then two days from that I was invited to a store interview for the ASM position. By the end of that week, I received a call from the district visual manager. She told me I was referred to her by someone and based on my resume would love for me to come in and interview for both positions, and her and the store manager would evaluate which position fit best. I was ecstatic, especially after having applied to several management and corporate positions at Free People since last August. She also told me they were hiring for multiple locations, and I informed her I had no preference. I went to the interview dressed to kill in my favorite Free People jack, top, and boots and even received compliments from the DVM. The interview went smoothly, and she loved my answers. Her mood changed when she went to get the SM to interview me. Unfortunately, the SM was "too busy" to interview me. I told the DVM I'd wait, and she then started babbling: no management experience, they're not hiring, and would I be interested in a stylist position at a different location? They read my resume, so they already saw I managed a course of interior design students, a boutique, and had extensive visual and retail merchandising experience. I reiterated those things then and there, and nothing. The problem was clearly something else. That was truly hurtful. A company I admired so much wouldn't even respect me enough to be truthful. Not to mention, the SM was "too busy" because she was folding the same shirt while gossiping to a stylist. I also realized she was the same employee who didn't greet me but instead looked at me and turned away. Worst interview of my entire life. After this horrible experience, I don't know if I feel the same way about the brand as a whole.

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Free People in January 2015.

I had interviewed with some of the other companies (Urban, Anthro, etc.) in the past so my name was already in the system. For those who don't know, URBN has a web portal where you plug in that sort of info (resume, cover letter, etc.).

Anyway, I had a phone interview with the lead developer. We chatted about skills, past work, etc. After that I had an in person interview. It was a three hour meeting where I met the recruiter, a couple of developers, a designer, and a project manager. Questions were the norm: What skills do you use, where do you see yourself in a year, what are some problems you solved in past projects, etc. I left feeling like I aced it.

Heard back a few days later that it wasn't a right fit. Asked for feedback and didn't hear anything from HR. Touched bases with the developers I met and they emailed back almost immediately. The other candidate just had a slightly better skill base. You win some, you lose some.

Interview Questions
    • I wish I could remember. Probably a question about why to use Node over PHP.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Free People.

The interview process was extremely long and demanding. They asked a lot of questions but did not reveal a lot about the position as I later found out was because there was no position. They ask design candidates for a lot of designs. and after about 15 submits they continued to ask for more in which point, I stopped sending them sketches. upon questioning more, they finally admitted that they are generally looking for designers but I guess not for the position they had posted and which I had applied for.

having gone to school in the area, it was common knowledge that urban as a company does this to attain free designs, but I did not listen. just sharing my experience. Please know what you are getting yourself in to and don't put too much time in to design projects for this company as you may just be gifting them your hard work for nothing.

Best of luck,

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was that there was no real position, and what I thought I was working so hard to get, was a made up position to get free work.   Answer Question

Stylist Interview

pretty simple. met with the manager and had an interview with her for about 15 minutes. Then they told me they would call my references and received a call from her two days later that I received the job

Assistant Visual Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

I applied online and heard back within a week. I set up the first interview within 2 weeks. The first interview I drove two hours to get to. It was fairly simple and the manager was really down to earth. I received an email to set up a second interview about a week later. The second interview went really well and I felt very confident about getting the position. A week later I received an email for background check information. It took me another 2 weeks to hear back from them only to tell me they still hadn't made a decision and would let me know by the following week..they gave me a set day they would call and I didn't hear anything. Two days later I received an email, not a phone call, that I didn't get the job. The entire process took entirely too long

Interview Questions
    • The questions are pretty simple just regarding your lifestyle and previous job experiences.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Free People.

There were walk-in, group interviews weekly, so I went twice. I have learned it varies on the interviewer, if he/she is feeling it or not. My first interview was standard and nothing was very expected, other than fill out an application and leave your resume. Never heard from that one. The second interview consisted of a compilation of their clothes and showcasing your style and received a rejection postcard. Insulting, but better than nothing. It is a little difficult being in a group interview to shine through, so make sure you fight your way for a chance to speak.

Stylist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Group interview. Small, only three people. Asked really basic questions. "Is it important to represent the brand?" (duh.) The questions were so uninteresting that it was hard for people to give diverse answers, so I would advise trying to speak up first.

Interview Questions
    • Do you instagram? (no). They expect sales people (aka stylists) to wear their clothes and then instagram pics. Not for me.   Answer Question

Free People Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Free People in September 2014.

I posted on Glassdoor as a Paramus candidate a few weeks ago. I was waiting on my second interview and I got the email to come in for a one on one interview. A MIT interviewed me this time around and she was also super friendly. The interview literally took 10 minutes but was so jam packed- it was awesome to connect with someone who was as passionate about Free People as I was.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do your days off? Any retail experience? Favorite music? Any magazines you like to follow? What sets you apart from other candidates? How did you hear about Free People?   View Answer
    I didn't really negotiate because they offered an hourly rate that was greater than minimum wage. It was everything I wanted and then some!