Free People

Updated Oct 31, 2014
Updated Oct 31, 2014

2.5

Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Free People.

The interview process was extremely long and demanding. They asked a lot of questions but did not reveal a lot about the position as I later found out was because there was no position. They ask design candidates for a lot of designs. and after about 15 submits they continued to ask for more in which point, I stopped sending them sketches. upon questioning more, they finally admitted that they are generally looking for designers but I guess not for the position they had posted and which I had applied for.

having gone to school in the area, it was common knowledge that urban as a company does this to attain free designs, but I did not listen. just sharing my experience. Please know what you are getting yourself in to and don't put too much time in to design projects for this company as you may just be gifting them your hard work for nothing.

Best of luck,

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was that there was no real position, and what I thought I was working so hard to get, was a made up position to get free work.   Answer Question

Stylist Interview

pretty simple. met with the manager and had an interview with her for about 15 minutes. Then they told me they would call my references and received a call from her two days later that I received the job

Assistant Visual Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

I applied online and heard back within a week. I set up the first interview within 2 weeks. The first interview I drove two hours to get to. It was fairly simple and the manager was really down to earth. I received an email to set up a second interview about a week later. The second interview went really well and I felt very confident about getting the position. A week later I received an email for background check information. It took me another 2 weeks to hear back from them only to tell me they still hadn't made a decision and would let me know by the following week..they gave me a set day they would call and I didn't hear anything. Two days later I received an email, not a phone call, that I didn't get the job. The entire process took entirely too long

Interview Questions
    • The questions are pretty simple just regarding your lifestyle and previous job experiences.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Free People.

There were walk-in, group interviews weekly, so I went twice. I have learned it varies on the interviewer, if he/she is feeling it or not. My first interview was standard and nothing was very expected, other than fill out an application and leave your resume. Never heard from that one. The second interview consisted of a compilation of their clothes and showcasing your style and received a rejection postcard. Insulting, but better than nothing. It is a little difficult being in a group interview to shine through, so make sure you fight your way for a chance to speak.

Stylist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Group interview. Small, only three people. Asked really basic questions. "Is it important to represent the brand?" (duh.) The questions were so uninteresting that it was hard for people to give diverse answers, so I would advise trying to speak up first.

Interview Questions
    • Do you instagram? (no). They expect sales people (aka stylists) to wear their clothes and then instagram pics. Not for me.   Answer Question

Free People Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Free People in September 2014.

I posted on Glassdoor as a Paramus candidate a few weeks ago. I was waiting on my second interview and I got the email to come in for a one on one interview. A MIT interviewed me this time around and she was also super friendly. The interview literally took 10 minutes but was so jam packed- it was awesome to connect with someone who was as passionate about Free People as I was.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do your days off? Any retail experience? Favorite music? Any magazines you like to follow? What sets you apart from other candidates? How did you hear about Free People?   View Answer
    I didn't really negotiate because they offered an hourly rate that was greater than minimum wage. It was everything I wanted and then some!

Sales Associate, MIT, Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Their online application is a joke. The same logarithm for the same positions, you end up writing the same and similar answers over and over and over! Their open hire is also a joke. I feel that their managers are always over-worked and stressed and they say they will get back to you, but they never do! How unprofessional... At least be honest and say "if we are interested, you will hear back.... Otherwise, good luck next time" or something to that extent.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation when you had to deal with an annoyed customer   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Drove 12 hours for interview - stayed overnight in hotel downtown in the city - wore $400+ in Free People clothing - clearly showed immense interest in position and 100% qualified for any management position and the company chose the other candidate because they lived in town and wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. This showed me the company (at least store location) had low business ethics and no appreciation for those who go above and beyond. Needless to say, I will never drive 12 hours for an interview again.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very basic like "what do you do for fun"-nothing what I expected for the known time I spent to be at this interview.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Free People in July 2014.

Sent an online survey, then invited to a group interview with management. I was then invited back for a second one-on-one interview with a District manager. I heard in the group interview that they are looking for passionate people who are brand-appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of personal questions-- what inspires you, what are your passions, what is your ultimate dream job, etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Free People.

Went in for a group interview. Took in your sense of style for the interview as well. Each girl was wearing a full Free People outfit. Mostly asked just behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did you resolve a conflict with another co-worker in the presence of a customer?   Answer Question