Free People Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Free People (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and provided a resume, cover letter, and portfolio. I was creative in how I displayed things and catered my resume to retail. I had two interviews and the job was offered on the spot during second interview. I interviewed first at my store of choice but they offered me the job at a store nearby.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Interview

The girl who interviewed me was unprepared and rude. I could tell she was just making up some of the questions. Very unfriendly and unprofessional experience. I did not get a good vibe since she was a bit rude.I told her honestly that i didn't follow the blog closely and she demanded i answer what my favorite blogger was, even though i siad i didnt remember names. When i didnt answer she just rolled her eyes. No one greeted me when I entered or when i walked out, like every free people store i have been to. I shouldnt have expected a gracious interview since all the employees were not friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is your spirit animal? What is your favorite FP blogger? What is your free people style?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Free People.

Interview

Group Interview. Easy and exciting. The manager was so nice and really interested in what everyone had to say! Most of the questions that were asked revolved specifically around Free People and why YOU want to work for them. You should know about FP if you want a job there.

Stylist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Free People.

Interview

I applied online, submitting a cover letter and a resume. (Side note: I had absolutely no experience in retail). I got an email confirmation that my application went through and I filled out the opinion survey the next day but after five days, the store hadn't gotten in contact with me. Finally, I called the store and then shortly they emailed me saying they had lost my opinion survey but found it. Later that day, they emailed me inviting me for an interview the next day. The first interview was only thirty minutes. It's a very small store so we talked in one of the changing rooms. Interviewee was nice and asked questions about my activities, my availability, and whether I would be willing to work in other locations nearby. She also asked why free people. I think that's definitely the question to give most thought to. The next day, they invited me for a second interview for the following day. The store was closed so it was just me and another store head. This interview felt more like a conversation, and she was really friendly. It lasted an hour and then she had me style two hypothetical customers. I was scared at first because I felt on the spot but it ended up being really fun. Later that day they emailed me asking for three references. I sent them a list shortly after. Two days later they called me offering the job! The process honestly took much longer than I thought, but I think it's great FP goes through this extensive process.

Interview Questions

• Why free people? Why this location? What are FP competitors? Feedback you've received from employer and how you respond? What could you contribute? What is something special about you? How could you contribute without retail experience? What is your style? Do you feel comfortable dealing with loss prevention? Do you feel comfortable enforcing return policy? At the end she gave me hypothetical questions-- what I would do if x y and z happened?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Free People (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I met with a recruiter who gave me the impression that she would've preferred to be eating dirt than interviewing me. I'm a seasoned District Manager and have conducted my share of candidate interviews. The recruiter was unprepared, frazzled and uninterested in me, my skills or my background. She started the interview by asking what my hobbies are. Really? Maybe we should talk about my ability to drive sales, lead teams, motivate others etc. She kept looking at my resume and saying "well, we just wanted to meet candidates" Ok, i get it...thats why were in an interview. The interview lasted 18 minutes. A DM candidate with over 20 years of experience in retail. 18 minutes. I have always heard that FP doesn't hire african americans but I never wanted to believe b/c I love the brand so much! Based on her body language, demeanor and interest level- either she thought I was the worst candidate ever or the rumors are true. My interaction with this individual has tainted my view of them. It was 18 minutes of uncomfortable. I'll probably never shop in their stores again, which I know, makes no difference to them.

Stylist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Interview

The interview was quick and easy, super casual. The girl was easy to talk to and asked easy questions. I got to the store about 10 minutes before my interview and walked around the store a little bit until it was time for my interview. We then went outside where she asked me questions and then it was over!

Interview Questions

• She first asked a lot about my resume like what I did at my previous jobs, if i ever had to deal with a difficult situation in an old job, and to explain myself. Then she asked me about good costumer service and why I wanted to work at free people. She asked a few other questions but I can't remember what they were but they were all super easy!   Answer Question

Stylist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Free People in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with an online application. I called a couple weeks after I applied and asked to speak to the manager. When I had her on the phone, I explained that an employee who worked there (a friend on mine) referred me to the website to apply. She asked for my phone number and name and explained they'd be interviewing later that week. The next day, she invited me to a group interview. The group interview had 7 people total, including me. The assistant manager asked us to go around and answer these questions- 1) Tell me a little bit about yourself. 2) Why work at FP? What's the FP customer like? 3) What would you be interested in doing for the company? Styling, visuals, social media? 4) How would you prove yourself to the team working there already? It took two days to hear back, when she asked me to come in for a second interview. This interview was another group interview, where another manager asked us: 1) Tell me a little bit about yourself. 2) Why FP? 3) What's something interesting you could bring to the table for the FP brand? 4) What's a past conflict you've resolved in a retail setting? I'm still waiting to hear back, but the managers were really kind.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Free People (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got sent a survey to fill out online, two rounds of one-on-one interviews; they went well, but it turned out they were only looking for people who could work more hours than I was available for

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Free People in May 2015.

Interview

It was hard because it was my first group interview and everyone had a lot of experience.. and i did not. They asked questions that required you to have experience and I never had a job so it was hard for me.

Free People Stylist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Free People.

Interview

Originally I did not get the position, got called back a year later and got offered it because they had an opening, did a phone interview and got called back the next day to get offered the job