Free People Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Free People.

There were walk-in, group interviews weekly, so I went twice. I have learned it varies on the interviewer, if he/she is feeling it or not. My first interview was standard and nothing was very expected, other than fill out an application and leave your resume. Never heard from that one. The second interview consisted of a compilation of their clothes and showcasing your style and received a rejection postcard. Insulting, but better than nothing. It is a little difficult being in a group interview to shine through, so make sure you fight your way for a chance to speak.

Stylist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Free People.

Group interview. Small, only three people. Asked really basic questions. "Is it important to represent the brand?" (duh.) The questions were so uninteresting that it was hard for people to give diverse answers, so I would advise trying to speak up first.

Interview Questions
    • Do you instagram? (no). They expect sales people (aka stylists) to wear their clothes and then instagram pics. Not for me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Free People in September 2014.

I saw that Free People Paramus was hiring through their Instagram page and used the URBN site to apply. After about a week, I got an email asking to RSVP to a group interview. After I RSVP'd, I went to the store a week later and was asked normal interview questions: How Free People is the right fit for me, my past experiences, etc. The interviewer was very knowledgable of the company and made the group feel extremely comfortable. She said we would be getting another email to see if we made it to the second round of one on one interviews so I'm still waiting on that!

Interview Questions
    • What does good customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Free People in July 2014.

Sent an online survey, then invited to a group interview with management. I was then invited back for a second one-on-one interview with a District manager. I heard in the group interview that they are looking for passionate people who are brand-appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of personal questions-- what inspires you, what are your passions, what is your ultimate dream job, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dedham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dedham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Free People in January 2010.

It was quite easy, I clicked with the interviewer right away. She liked my outfit, she saw how enthusiastic I was about the company, I mentioned I even read the blogs and she loved it. She told me to come in for a second interview with a higher manager, and as long as I'm dressed cute, then I pretty much had the job.

Interview Questions
    • The typical where I see myself in 5 years, what would I do in difficult situations, and any questions I had for her.   Answer Question

Sales Associate, MIT, Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Free People.

Their online application is a joke. The same logarithm for the same positions, you end up writing the same and similar answers over and over and over! Their open hire is also a joke. I feel that their managers are always over-worked and stressed and they say they will get back to you, but they never do! How unprofessional... At least be honest and say "if we are interested, you will hear back.... Otherwise, good luck next time" or something to that extent.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation when you had to deal with an annoyed customer   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Drove 12 hours for interview - stayed overnight in hotel downtown in the city - wore $400+ in Free People clothing - clearly showed immense interest in position and 100% qualified for any management position and the company chose the other candidate because they lived in town and wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. This showed me the company (at least store location) had low business ethics and no appreciation for those who go above and beyond. Needless to say, I will never drive 12 hours for an interview again.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very basic like "what do you do for fun"-nothing what I expected for the known time I spent to be at this interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Free People.

Went in for a group interview. Took in your sense of style for the interview as well. Each girl was wearing a full Free People outfit. Mostly asked just behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did you resolve a conflict with another co-worker in the presence of a customer?   Answer Question

Visual Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Free People.

I was initially went in to be interview for the MIT position. During my interview I was informed me that I was over qualified for the position. During my interview I talked about my love for visuals and she told me that they were actually looking for a visual manager. I interviewed with the visual district lead about a week later. After my two interviews I was informed that I did not get the job. They then e-mailed me back saying I was still being considered. When I e-mailed for a time and date for the next interview I was not e-mailed back. I also called and no one got back to me about the third interview.

Interview Questions
    • what do you admire about your previous leaders?   View Answer

Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Free People in May 2014.

I applied for the position via the URBN website. A few days later, I got an email asking me to come in for an open interview. When I went, it was just me and one other girl. The manager took us to a coffee shop and asked some very basic questions, like "why do you want to work for Free People?" "who is your main style icon?" "your ideal travel destination?" I normally dress in Free People's style (bohemian, SoCal) so I didn't feel like I was trying too hard, and my previous retail experience made it easy to interact with the hiring manager. The manager said that she would contact us to let us know if we made it to the second rounds of interviews or not; within about 10 minutes after I left, I got an email with a personality survey, and once I'd completed it I received another email right away asking for a second interview. I had a second 1:1 interview with the hiring manager a few days later and about 2 weeks later she offered me the position.

My impression with the experience was that if you received the personality test right away after the first interview, were invited for a second interview, and after the second interview they asked for references, things looked pretty bright. Just make sure to politely follow up with the hiring manager and keep in contact, as managers have many other duties other than hiring people and you want to make sure that they know you are still interested. Have a passion for the brand and the lifestyle, it is easy to tell when someone isn't being genuine.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about choosing your wardrobe for the day?   Answer Question

Worked for Free People? Contribute to the Community!