Free People

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

Interviewed at Free People

Interview Details – Drove 12 hours for interview - stayed overnight in hotel downtown in the city - wore $400+ in Free People clothing - clearly showed immense interest in position and 100% qualified for any management position and the company chose the other candidate because they lived in town and wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. This showed me the company (at least store location) had low business ethics and no appreciation for those who go above and beyond. Needless to say, I will never drive 12 hours for an interview again.

Interview Question – The questions were very basic like "what do you do for fun"-nothing what I expected for the known time I spent to be at this interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Free People.

Interview Details – Went in for a group interview. Took in your sense of style for the interview as well. Each girl was wearing a full Free People outfit. Mostly asked just behavioral questions.

Interview Question – How did you resolve a conflict with another co-worker in the presence of a customer?   Answer Question

Visual Manager Interview

Visual Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Free People.

Interview Details – I was initially went in to be interview for the MIT position. During my interview I was informed me that I was over qualified for the position. During my interview I talked about my love for visuals and she told me that they were actually looking for a visual manager. I interviewed with the visual district lead about a week later. After my two interviews I was informed that I did not get the job. They then e-mailed me back saying I was still being considered. When I e-mailed for a time and date for the next interview I was not e-mailed back. I also called and no one got back to me about the third interview.

Interview Question – what do you admire about your previous leaders?   View Answer

Stylist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Free People in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position via the URBN website. A few days later, I got an email asking me to come in for an open interview. When I went, it was just me and one other girl. The manager took us to a coffee shop and asked some very basic questions, like "why do you want to work for Free People?" "who is your main style icon?" "your ideal travel destination?" I normally dress in Free People's style (bohemian, SoCal) so I didn't feel like I was trying too hard, and my previous retail experience made it easy to interact with the hiring manager. The manager said that she would contact us to let us know if we made it to the second rounds of interviews or not; within about 10 minutes after I left, I got an email with a personality survey, and once I'd completed it I received another email right away asking for a second interview. I had a second 1:1 interview with the hiring manager a few days later and about 2 weeks later she offered me the position.

My impression with the experience was that if you received the personality test right away after the first interview, were invited for a second interview, and after the second interview they asked for references, things looked pretty bright. Just make sure to politely follow up with the hiring manager and keep in contact, as managers have many other duties other than hiring people and you want to make sure that they know you are still interested. Have a passion for the brand and the lifestyle, it is easy to tell when someone isn't being genuine.

Interview Question – How do you go about choosing your wardrobe for the day?   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Free People.

Interview Details – Interview process was fairly quick. I went on two interviews before I got offered the position. They'll most likely take you into a fitting room or somewhere outside the store very nearby to sit and ask you some questions. Once they're done questioning you, they'll take you in and ask you to style a few outfits of your choice. If you truly love and live the brand, it will show and that will be your greatest asset.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty basic. Mostly about how to manage the selling floor, customer service expectations, and questioning as to whether I was more interested in the visual or operational sides of retail.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Free People in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewing with Free People is everything I thought it would be. The location was so mesmerizing to look at and it just felt like an overall great atmosphere. The manager was super sweet, firm handshake, and was easy to talk to about everything! I was also called for a second interview. I was asked what i knew about the company, my experience in retail or fashion, what made free people so different,how comfortable I am in styling under pressure, and what costumer service means to me. I had a great interview and interacted well with her!

Interview Question – What does good customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Free People in April 2013.

Interview Details – Had to call a lot to schedule the interview but once I received an interview it went really well. They asked a lot of questions regarding the aesthetic and details of the brand. Some specific questions included "What are you favorite designers and why?" What is your favorite music?" and "Explain what suggestive selling means to you."

Interview Question – They described the different "Free People Girls" (the different girls that represent different styles) and asked you to pick one and explain why she is most similar to your style. This includes Candy, Lou, Meadow, Ginger, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called and offered it to me about a week later and I said yes.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Free People in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied and a couple months later heard back. I was invited to an open interview and they asked me to tell them about myself, what was some good customer service I experienced, what my availability was like, etc. It was pretty quick and I was interviewed with one other girl.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Free People?   Answer Question

Web Marketing Intern Interview

Web Marketing Intern
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Free People in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this position twice, and got it the second time. I made connections with people before the application was due, who connected me with the talent coordinator, which got me my initial interview. I went through an initial phone interview with HR, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and an in person interview. The interview questions were mostly the typical interview questions people are asked (strengths, weaknesses, background, etc.).

Interview Question – My interviewer asked me who Matt Cutts was and I had no idea.   View Answer

Internship Interview

Internship
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Free People in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by email to set up a phone interview, then a Skype interview

Interview Question – "Tell me what you know about Free People"   Answer Question

Worked for Free People? Contribute to the Community!