Free People Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.6

Management Interview

I applied online and received an email from the recruiter two months later. Had an interview with the hiring manager the following week. Pretty short, asked standard questions, and she said the HR person would contact me with the next steps.

I followed up a week and a half later, but no one ever responded to me. I find it common courtesy for a company to follow up either way, but apparantly this isn't the case for Free People.

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Free People in February 2015.

I walked into the store and asked if they were hiring. They were so I dropped off my resume, applied online and sent them an email letting them know that I had applied online. They scheduled and interview for the next day. Sat down with the daily manager and spoke to her for about a half an hour. She was extremely friendly and easy to talk to!

Interview Questions
    • What is you style icon, describe your style to me, what is a quality you have admired in a former boss, why free people, how would your friends/coworkers describe you   Answer Question

Fashion Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Free People in February 2015.

I walked into the store and asked if they were hiring. They were so I dropped off my resume, applied online and sent them an email letting them know that I had applied online. They scheduled and interview for the next day. Sat down with the manager and spoke to her for about an hour. She was extremely friendly!

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Free People in January 2015.

Submitted an application online in November, had to include a resume, cover letter, and inspiration board, was contacted with an invite to their Interview Day in January, went to the headquarters and had two separate 10 minute interviews in person, all candidates were being interviewed in one room, which made it loud and distracting

Interview Questions
    • basic questions, why do you want to work here, strengths and weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Visual Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Free People in January 2015.

I applied on the URBN career website for both the assistant store manager and visual manager positions because I wasn't sure if I was overqualified for one based on other interviewees' reviews. Two days later, I was asked to complete the online opinion survey, then two days from that I was invited to a store interview for the ASM position. By the end of that week, I received a call from the district visual manager. She told me I was referred to her by someone and based on my resume would love for me to come in and interview for both positions, and her and the store manager would evaluate which position fit best. I was ecstatic, especially after having applied to several management and corporate positions at Free People since last August. She also told me they were hiring for multiple locations, and I informed her I had no preference. I went to the interview dressed to kill in my favorite Free People jack, top, and boots and even received compliments from the DVM. The interview went smoothly, and she loved my answers. Her mood changed when she went to get the SM to interview me. Unfortunately, the SM was "too busy" to interview me. I told the DVM I'd wait, and she then started babbling: no management experience, they're not hiring, and would I be interested in a stylist position at a different location? They read my resume, so they already saw I managed a course of interior design students, a boutique, and had extensive visual and retail merchandising experience. I reiterated those things then and there, and nothing. The problem was clearly something else. That was truly hurtful. A company I admired so much wouldn't even respect me enough to be truthful. Not to mention, the SM was "too busy" because she was folding the same shirt while gossiping to a stylist. I also realized she was the same employee who didn't greet me but instead looked at me and turned away. Worst interview of my entire life. After this horrible experience, I don't know if I feel the same way about the brand as a whole.

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Free People in January 2015.

I had interviewed with some of the other companies (Urban, Anthro, etc.) in the past so my name was already in the system. For those who don't know, URBN has a web portal where you plug in that sort of info (resume, cover letter, etc.).

Anyway, I had a phone interview with the lead developer. We chatted about skills, past work, etc. After that I had an in person interview. It was a three hour meeting where I met the recruiter, a couple of developers, a designer, and a project manager. Questions were the norm: What skills do you use, where do you see yourself in a year, what are some problems you solved in past projects, etc. I left feeling like I aced it.

Heard back a few days later that it wasn't a right fit. Asked for feedback and didn't hear anything from HR. Touched bases with the developers I met and they emailed back almost immediately. The other candidate just had a slightly better skill base. You win some, you lose some.

Interview Questions
    • I wish I could remember. Probably a question about why to use Node over PHP.   Answer Question

Assistant Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Free People in December 2014.

This was a lengthly, drawn-out interview process unlike any I have ever encountered in industry. I initially applied online, and over the next three months I was required to do a phone interview, create a capsule collection catered to Free People (comprising of six looks), send continual project updates, once the project was approved bind the project into a book with extra added pieces that to make it special and more "Free People", then I the had to subsequently send that book to Philadelphia (this was all at my personal expense), once the book was approved I was then required to make a full muslin prototype of one of my designs. Only after all this did Free People finally decide fly me out to Philly for an in-person interview. The flight and hotel accommodations were paid for. I had a day long of interviews with five different higher ups at Free People in which I presented my muslin I had created for them, garments I had designed/produced in the recent past, my portfolio, as well as the project I had done for them. The actual in-person interview was pleasant and well organized. I then proceeded to wait three weeks to hear back, only to be told I was not to be offered a job. The feedback was that I was talented but had not nailed the "essence of Free People" and their aesthetic. They recommended I continue to work on defining "what Free People was" for the next six months to a year and re-apply. Overall, I felt jostled around, and that my time was wasted. I was a recent graduate, and for three months all my time was devoted to a job I did not get. It put me back in terms of looking for other jobs and moving forward in my career and I would never apply to them again. I was very disappointed in their interview process and found it very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in the Free People Brand as opposed to Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Free People.

The interview process was extremely long and demanding. They asked a lot of questions but did not reveal a lot about the position as I later found out was because there was no position. They ask design candidates for a lot of designs. and after about 15 submits they continued to ask for more in which point, I stopped sending them sketches. upon questioning more, they finally admitted that they are generally looking for designers but I guess not for the position they had posted and which I had applied for.

having gone to school in the area, it was common knowledge that urban as a company does this to attain free designs, but I did not listen. just sharing my experience. Please know what you are getting yourself in to and don't put too much time in to design projects for this company as you may just be gifting them your hard work for nothing.

Best of luck,

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was that there was no real position, and what I thought I was working so hard to get, was a made up position to get free work.   Answer Question

Free People Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Free People in November 2014.

The application online took the longest to fill. I was contacted fairly quick to do the interviews. There were two interviews, one with the assistant manager and the second with store manager. Both were friendly and I felt comfortable and relaxed when being asked questions. Both interviews were one on one and held in the back office of the store.

Stylist Interview

pretty simple. met with the manager and had an interview with her for about 15 minutes. Then they told me they would call my references and received a call from her two days later that I received the job