Free People

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.5

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Free People.

There were walk-in, group interviews weekly, so I went twice. I have learned it varies on the interviewer, if he/she is feeling it or not. My first interview was standard and nothing was very expected, other than fill out an application and leave your resume. Never heard from that one. The second interview consisted of a compilation of their clothes and showcasing your style and received a rejection postcard. Insulting, but better than nothing. It is a little difficult being in a group interview to shine through, so make sure you fight your way for a chance to speak.

Other Interview Reviews for Free People

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Free People.

Went in for a group interview. Took in your sense of style for the interview as well. Each girl was wearing a full Free People outfit. Mostly asked just behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did you resolve a conflict with another co-worker in the presence of a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Free People in April 2014.

Whilst shopping in the store, the sales manager approached me and asked if I was interested in coming in the following week for an interview. Pleased that I was even considered, I showed up the next week. It was a group interview which I did not expect at all. The interview process was rather lengthy in the sense that there was a second, individual interview after the group one.

Interview Questions
    • The question wasn't difficult, but rather creative. I was asked how I would convince a customer to buy an item that he/she might not have been initially looking for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Free People in April 2014.

I applied and a couple months later heard back. I was invited to an open interview and they asked me to tell them about myself, what was some good customer service I experienced, what my availability was like, etc. It was pretty quick and I was interviewed with one other girl.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and heard back within a few days. I was asked to take a survey online. A couple of days later I got an email requesting that I come to a group interview.
    The interview was with one other girl, it was very short, only 20 minutes or so and consisted of the basic questions like what is the free people girl like, have you had any experience in retail, what hours can you work, what do you get your fashion inspiration from..

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Free People.

Bring a copy of your resume to the interview
    My interview was one on one
    Questions:
    Tell me about yourself?
    What is your major?
    How can you contribute to Free People?
    What is a Free People girl?
    What is your strength and weakness?

Open interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Free People in October 2012.

I came in and asked if they were hiring and the sales associate said they were "accepting applications" but were not hiring. So I filled out an application, and turned it in with my resume. About a day or two later I got a call asking for me to come in for open interviews the next morning at 10am. When I arrived, it was 10am and the store is supposed to be open at 10am. I called to let them know I was there and the person who answered was very rude saying "You're just gonna have to wait!" BAD SIGN ALREADY. When inside, we were told to look for an outfit for a person transferring from Summer to Fall. The manager interviewing us was very uninterested and just had NO personality at all. She didn't write anything down and just focused on caressing her pregnant belly. From the start of the interview I no longer had any interest in working there because I knew that I wouldn't enjoy working for her.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Free People in September 2012.

Applied online and it took a little more than a week to hear back. It was a fairly laid back interview, which asked mostly expected questions:

Tell me about yourself.
    Why do you want to work at Free People?
    How can you contribute to Free People?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    Have you worked in sales before?
    What constitutes good customer service in your mind?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Free People in September 2012.

I had to call and email them multiple times to get interviews and follow up and ultimately the job. I think it ended up being a total of three interviews (two solo, one group). If you want a job with them you really have to push and not take no response as an answer. The whole interview process took a few months.

I felt there was no room for negotiation, but this definitely could be different for others.