Freedom House Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014
Updated Aug 14, 2014

Clinical Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Freedom House.

Poor interview etiquette. Kept waiting. No follow up. More interested in telling about own accomplishments than in explaining about the position. Manners were non-existent. The interviewer took a lengthy phone call while in the middle of the interview process that was clearly not urgent.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

I got an interview through a referral and the process was pretty simple. Interviewed with the supervisor through a Skype call. After the interview, I had to finish some paperwork and work with the HR to make it official and I recall that took some time because of some technical issues (for some reason my documents attached to my email wasn't going through the system).

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Mostly regarding my background, interests, the reasons for having those interests, and a couple behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

Phone interview with program staff, about half an hour long. This occurred about 2-3 weeks after application was submitted. That first interview was followed by an in-person interview with staff and director after about two more weeks.

Interview Questions
    • They were all fairly boilerplate. There were a lot of behavioral questions about dealing with different workplace situations, and some more specific questions about experience working on various technical things (proposals etc).   View Answer
    Freedom House requires that you submit salary requirements in your cover letter. I listed something way too high; they countered, explaining that they couldn't possibly pay more. I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

The interview process took three weeks, i gave 2 weeks notice, and not looked back since.

Interview Questions
    • Whet is the greatest challenge to Freedom in our region?   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

The interview process was extremely casual. It was a series of pleasant conversations with top managers who asked no difficult questions. One talked about himself a lot, so I just listened and smiled. There was a meeting with the staff I was going to manage, all were friendly and dropped hints about problems that soon emerged.

The hiring process was disorganized. They were unable to provide clarity on pay and benefits, problems that persisted long after I was in the job. The HR team made basic mistakes and staff members came and went. Nobody took responsibility for the errors.

Interview Questions
    Disjointed because of the information issues. They were not well organized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

Interview with manager was brief, friendly, not difficult. Just wanted to know if I had experience. Nice and pleasant, a genuine person who wanted to know and not trip me up. Interview with senior exec was weird, more about him showing off how important and clever he was (he later left to joint he State Department). HR was disorganized and unhelpful.

Very easy because they needed to spend the money (they work off government grants which are "use it or lose it"). They then started to get very rigid with pay, but when I joined they were very flexible.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Freedom House in November 2012.

The hiring process is disorganized and project teams do not seem to coordinate their needs . My in person interview was set up over e-mail and I was told who I would be meeting, which seemed standard - but when I arrived at FH, the people who were to interview me were not ready and I had to wait, then I found out that no one had bothered to reserve a meeting room to conduct the interview so we ended up cramming into someone's office (4 people in a very small room).

I was informed that second interviews would be conducted shortly and that a final decision would be made very soon. Through other channels, I found out that I was on the short list. Months latter I was still waiting for my second interview. Finally I was called in for a second interview, again the people who were to interview me were running late, and apparently the position had changed and a whole new block of duties had been tacked on. Months later I was informed I did not get the position by a person I knew in the organization. HR never actually informed me that they had hired someone else.

The interviews weren't difficult and the staff seems individually competent and dedicated but but the long and disorganized process left a negative impression. Also, as one of the interviewers was walking me out, the person noted that she didn't know where the position changes came from and apologized. While the candor was appreciated, it to reflect serious communication issues within the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked on x project? (x project being a completely new addition to the position)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House in November 2012.

I submitted an application and was contacted relatively quickly for an interview. The interview itself went well, and I was asked to follow up by writing a 3-page memo on a specific current affairs issue that would be relevant to the position. The process stalled completely after that. It took the director another 3 months to hire someone for the position. The feedback I received did not indicate whether I wasn't selected because I was not right for the job, or because the director simply got distracted and had to start from scratch at a later date because the original candidates had all moved on.

Interview Questions
    • What are the five main challenges to democratic development in Liberia   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House in August 2012.

interview for internship resulted in getting the position. However, internal applicant process entirely mishandled by all hiring managers, including not notifying me that someone else had been chosen for the position, so I found out I did not get the job, by seeing the new hire starting on their first day.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do with a brick, what are all the things you could make with one brick?   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Freedom House.

I had my phone interview within a few days of submitting my resume online, was interviewed twice by three people, and made a phone offer after 3 days of the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would be my vision for Freedom House if I were president.   Answer Question
    Know your supervisor.