Freedonia Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2014

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Freedonia Group

Editor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Freedonia Group.

It seemed like no one knew what job I was applying for -- ended up interviewing three times for three different positions, none of which matched my application or resume qualifications. This was after taking a test that I was told after-the-fact I did poorly on, but then told I aced in the three actual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Calculating the number of tires sold annually.   View Answer

Custom Research Analyst Interview

Started out with a math and general knowledge test. The math wasn't too difficult just basic arithmetic. The harder questions were how many golf balls fit into the room you're in and how many tires are bought each year. General knowledge questions were what's the capital of Germany and who is the secretary of the state.

Industry Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Freedonia Group.

Sent my application to a friend who worked there.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty straightforward. Tested basic arithmetic problem solving, a bit of current affairs knowledge (who is the secretary of state) and then one writing sample where they gave you a prompt and gave you time to read, analysis, and do a write up.

None of the questions were very difficult, they required some basic economics (time value of money) but nothing an undergrad econ course wouldn't teach.
        Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Freedonia Group.

Note the interview process has changed since I was hired, we didn't have an HR manager then (just office manager). The first interview is a test: basic knowledge (world, general), math (with and without calculator), proofreading, essay based on provided articles. If you do well enough on the test, you're called in for a second interview, that's more traditional. It used to be more of a formality (they hired based on the tests). Now interviews have more stock in job offers, but there isn't really anything unexpected or unusual about that part.

Interview Questions
    • How many golf balls would fill up the room you are in?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation; they have a set starting salary for each position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Freedonia Group in April 2013.

I sent an e-mail to apply for an open job. I received phone-call from the CEO followed by an e-mail from the HR lady to set up the interview, which was actually just a test. The multiple-section test asked some general knowledge questions along with some calculator calculation questions. The content was not challenging but each portion is timed. This is followed by writing a sample essay over some given material, again timed. The essay section ostensibly replicated the actual work the company test.

I sat down with the CEO for a few minutes for a very informal interview, then I went on a tour of the facility, and everyone was very friendly. I got a letter a week or two later telling me I did not get the job, which I expected as I did not excel on the test.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Freedonia Group.

The interview was composed of a test (not posting the answers here as that is ethically questionable). After the test, the HR Manager said they would contact me within two weeks. It was a bit longer. I was contacted for an interview. It was a typical interview, asked about my resume and the test. I spoke with three people (one after the other). The salary offer was a bit low. There was also the issue of vacation days - no vacation for the first YEAR. However, the atmosphere seemed awesome so I went for it.

Interview Questions
    Not a lot of negotiation. They really aren't willing to budge even 1k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Freedonia Group in May 2012.

The first part of the interview is a rather involved test that is meant to measure various aspects of the candidates skills and abilities. The first part of the test included questions such as: Who is the current Secretary of State; What is the capital of Germany; Who might lobby for strict import tariffs on ethanol; basic math problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division--no calculator). The second part of the test consisted of finding errors in an article. The next part consisted of more math (calculator allowed) that included ratios and some logic problems (i.e. how many golf balls would fit in the room you are in?). The final part of the test is an essay based on sources given to you by the proctor. The test isn't overly difficult, but the time constraints seem extremely short for what they ask you to complete. If they want to proceed with a panel interview, they call within two weeks. Otherwise, you receive a letter.

Interview Questions
    • How many golf balls fit inside the room you are taking the test?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Freedonia Group in October 2010.

I first sent a resume to the group based on a posting at my law school career website. The posting indicated that several attorneys already worked at the group and were successful within the organization. The posting went on mention that the analytical skills gained in law school were similar to those necessary to be successful at the position. I was contacted a couple days later to take testing to determine whether I would be given a panel interview. The test was a gauge of analytical ability, general knowledge, and writing skills. The test itself was not too difficult.

General Knowledge - Population of the US (about 310 mill), Capital of Spain (Madrid), Largest Country in world according to population (China). The exam also asks you to estimate the number of automobiles on the road, and the number sold within one year.

Mental Math - They will give you a test to gauge your mental math. No calculators allowed! Brushing up on fraction to decimal values might be beneficial.

Spelling/Grammar - They will ask you to correct a passage. Might be good to brush up on the basics of grammar. Also, take a look at the periodic chart and some basic chemical compound spellings. Many of the misspelled words are chemical compounds.

Analytical / Math - They allow you to use a calculator here! Be prepared to figure out some number patterns (in particular, the one where the next value is the sum of all prior numbers) and the dreaded what is the area of part of the circle. Make sure you look at the square or triangle within the circle part of any GMAT book. That should help you navigate through the question. Also, brush up square root properties, as well as cylinder formulas.

Two days later I received a call to set up a panel interview. The interview consisted of five consecutive interviews with two senior analysts, an economist, a vice-president of research, and the group founder. The analysts are pretty friendly and straight forward. They both explained their positions and were pretty excited about the company. The research VP portion was brief and pretty harmless. I think she just pops in at the request of the founder, but leaves the real interview part to the others.

Now the tough part! I started off the day with Economist. I sense that the owner puts the most stock in his opinion, and reading this guy is really difficult. He is obviously a smart guy and very deliberate in his questioning. The most benign question has a purpose. I found it completely unnerving. I found myself hesitant to say anything (which was obviously bad for me). He is friendly enough, but beware.

I finished off the day with the company founder. Realize he graduated magna cum laude from Yale and probably still remembers his exact SAT score. He puts a lot of stock in GPAs and any sort of test score he can get his hands on. Expect him to ask your exact GPA from college and grad school, and know it is an uphill battle if your grades are not stellar. He was slightly dismissive of me once he knew my lackluster undergrad and law school GPAs. I knew then I was on the outs.

He told me I could expect to hear from them in about week. The rejection letter was through US postal about twelve days later.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interviewers will describe what the job involves from their perspective (Global vs. US) and how the report segments get integrated into a final product (how the individual industry analysts incorporate a general forecast from the economist). Be prepared to explain what the position involves from their descriptions later in a following interview.   View Answer
    • Expect the economist to gauge your general knowledge in the interview. Dropping names or ideas to see how you respond.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Freedonia Group in January 2008.

The company deals with industry averages and estimates, so at the beginning they administer a general knowledge test. Some of the questions have definitive answers that are somewhat common knowledge (i.e. the population of the United States) while others test your reasoning skills (estimating how many golf balls would fill the room you were in). The purpose for the most part is to gauge your reasoning process, not the exact answer, though ridiculous answers are "dealbreakers" to the hiring manager. A second part of the exam is to test your writing abilities and combines aspects from the previous test (for example, estimating from a set of numbers what future sales of a certain product will be in following years). Also on the first day, I interviewed with the hiring manager (also the General Manager) and two senior analysts.

I was asked back for a second interview a week or two later. This time I met with the General Manager and his boss for another interview. I was mainly questioned on my background and how I approached the test from the first interview, and was told in more detail what the position would entail.

I was emailed an offer about 10 days later and accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to read?   View Answer
    • If you had to figure out how many gas stations were in the United States, how would you go about doing that?   View Answer
    As a relative greenhorn, I did not counteroffer. I would suggest others at least attempt it, but keep in mind the company is growth-minded and VERY deliberate in its hiring process. In other words, it may be very easy to price yourself out of a job. I was told how fortunate I was I only had to interview twice in a relatively short time span (3 weeks).

Industry Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Freedonia Group in August 2011.

I took their standard test, made it through the first interview, and was offered the job at the second interview. The people I met and the company made a positive impression on me and seemed like a good fit.

Interview Questions

They refused to match my (already low) salary at the time, and I couldn't afford the pay cut I would've taken to start a job there. Had they been willing to go up 2K, I could've made it work. Most companies will do that for a candidate they want--especially one who is more than qualified. It was very disappointing.