Freelancers Union

Interviews for Top Jobs at Freelancers Union

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Freelancers Union.

I was first contacted for a phone interview with HR after applying online, and then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Everything felt pretty standard and a bit laid back in the early and middle stages.

In office, I met with someone I would be working with heavily from the department I would be working in, and was told that depending on that interview, they would review me and possibly bring me in for a second interview. The interview itself took place in the kitchen area of the loft style open office. After that first interview, which went well, I was told to wait for the HR person to come and guide me out. Instead, I was told by HR that they were just going to do two second interviews all in the same day, with two department heads.

The second interview with the first department head went well, similar to my first interview. Questions were matter of fact and somewhat informal, and actually referenced existing problems and projects I would be working on if hired.

After this, I was told to wait an hour/get coffee, as the second department head was in a meeting. An hour and 20 minutes later, I was greeted by the CTO of the organization. This interview was very different. I was grilled about very technical issues with ongoing projects, and basically had an all out brainstorming session on how to fix various problems with the website and branding the organization was currently facing. It felt like I was a week into the actual job, and this lasted for an entire hour.

I was constantly reminded of limitations and restrictions that were specific to company policies and decisions by committee from former project meetings and milestones, as I if I had already been working there. I had no practical way of dealing with or thinking though this, as I had literally just walked in about 2 hours prior, but I felt that I navigated the murky waters very well. If they were trying to throw me, they didn't. I met each question and problem head on with the little context and information I had in front of me, and was able to formulate realistic solutions to all. It also felt too authentic to just be a test to see how to handle pressure. I picked up on the CTO getting overly technical and heated when design solutions challenged his way of thinking or didn't fit into a framework he had already committed to, and it was a bit of a red flag. I did receive compliments for several of my solutions and for much of my input, but the vibe seemed to be that design was generally handled with a piecemeal approach and overly compartmentalized, so that nothing overtime felt cohesive.

Regardless of this somewhat stressful bit of the interview process, I was told I would hear something within a week or so. I sent out my follow up emails to everyone I interviewed with and then heard nothing from anyone. I reached out once more a bit over a week later to everyone and the HR contact, reminding them of my interest and inquiring about the status of the position, and never received a response. Just one update email that the position had been filled would have been nice as a response to my many follow ups to several individuals.

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Freelancers Union in February 2013.

Emailed application, received a phone call a few days later to setup a phone interview - very basic phone interview with the HR rep. Received a call a few days later to schedule another phone interview, this time with a team member. This went well and a few days later I received a call for an in-person interview. After scheduling I had to ask the HR rep for details regarding whom I would speak with, what to expect, etc.

For the in-person interview I met the HR rep and sat at one of the cafe-style tables in the general meeting space, which was very loud as various teams were meeting all around. She explained the process (meet with 2 team members, then maybe 2 more, and fill out an application). I spoke with two Program Managers who were fairly young and energetic. We had a good conversation about the work, my background, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

For the second interview I met with the woman I spoke with on my 2nd phone interview, as well as the head of the Program Management division. She wasn't so friendly and, I could tell, was trying to "grill" me. I probably didn't answer some of her questions to her liking - I know I bombed one in particular - and I didn't end up getting the job.

HOWEVER, I was never notified after this interview experience. I immediately emailed Thank You's to every person I met with, scanned and emailed an article about projects similar to the one I was interviewing about within 5 days, and eventually called the HR rep about a week after my interview(s). NEVER HEARD A WORD. Talk about disrespectful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation when a team member and a vendor began to quarrel?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Freelancers Union in January 2012.

I've sent my resume via LinkedIn. Corporate recruiter contacted me via e-mail. Next I had phone interview with recruiter. After passing that I had another interview with Senior Business Analyst. I got very good review so I was asked for in-person interview. First in-person interview was with two other Senior Business Analysts, following interview with Project Manager. Up to this point everything was OK, PM has a open/anything-goes/not-prepared interviewing style asking non-relevant questions and formulating opinions based on that. This was the end of ride for me. Overall: all the people I spoke/met are not on time, making me excessively wait.

Information Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Freelancers Union in February 2011.

Freelancers Union moved very fast. Began with HR rep phone screen; was pulled in for in-person HR interview two days later, then a day of interviews (one-on-ones with three different directors) the next day, and a group interview with team colleagues two days later. Freelancers Union went from first contact to offer letter in one calendar week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would redesign an electronic voting machine.   Answer Question
    Named my upper limit and was immediately accepted.