Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Senior Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in July 2014.

I completed three interviews for Freeport-McMoran's Arizona location. One week after the final interview, I received a phone call from their corporate recruiter to tell me that I am still under consideration however they are conducting another interview and will make a decision after June 6, 2014.

On June 4, 2016, I received a phone call from the HR Manager from their Colorado mine, he told me the HR Manager from Arizona referred me to him and wanted to know if I would be interested in applying and interviewing at his site. We talked and I said of course I would be interested. After one month and some change I got the call to arrange for travel so they can bring me in for a site interview.

HR Manager started the interview off by stating they are shuffling people around and they are still not sure how they will fill their vacancies, etc. Ok then, why did you bring me here? Is what I thought before I prepare to present myself for an interview that I was contacted about. Overall, the interviews went well and I left both interviews feeling I did enough and they were receptive to my performance to potentially get an offer.

After a couple weeks, their corporate recruiter contacted me to tell me they selected someone else, however they will have more vacancies at a different mine site I could apply to. Yeah, no thanks, the entire experience made me feel like I was being mislead about their intentions with their recruitment and interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and corrective actions? Also, many behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in December 2013.

Phone Interview - Panel of HR generalist and 1 engineer.
    Questions based on my interest in the company, electrical engineering specialization

Laid back and relaxed Interview
    the whole interview alternated between technical and HR questions. All most all interview questions were on projects done in grad school, knowledge of power systems software, ability to handle technical problems.

Interview Questions
    • What makes current transformers more suited for measurements than power transformers?   Answer Question

Better offer

Geologist I Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in April 2011.

They called the wrong number to tell me I got the job. Luckily it was my daughter's phone number so I got the message. I interned there the summer before so I did not have to interview for this position. The intern interview included more life history questions then actual geology questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised they asked what I do for fun and what safety means to me. The second one is pretty general question but applicable in mining.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. You accept the offer. They do not negotiate.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold.

Had a screening phone interview. Then a 30 minute interview with the hiring manager a few weeks later. Interview went well, but I was not offered a position. Most of the question were simple such as: what is your favorite class? Why did you choose your major? What is a challenge you have faced in engineering? Talk about a time when you worked in a group.

Senior Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Green Valley, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Green Valley, AZ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in March 2014.

Recieved only a phone screening. Was then told that I would be passed to the hiring manager on site but never heard anything back. I waited for over a month without being notified either way so I withdrew my application.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the task of rolling out a policy or change that you do not agree with?   Answer Question

Industrial Hygiene Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morenci, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morenci, AZ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold.

Phone interview with department manager and would-be supervisor. Was given a conference call number and pin and called in for the interview. The Interview was mostly standard interview questions about my resume and education and then technical questions and lasted about 30 minutes. I don't recall any behavioral questions. Received an offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for intern salary but housing provided at discounted rate.

Industrial Hygienist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morenci, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morenci, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in March 2011.

The hiring process takes a few months, the Corporate office will do an initial screening and then forward the application to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever witnessed an unsafe condition or act? If so, what did you do to correct the situation?   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Safford, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Safford, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in February 2014.

Phone screening

Interview Questions
    • What is your desired salary? How did you over come when you conflict with your co-workers?   Answer Question

Metallurgist I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold in November 2013.

Had initial communication with a Metallurgist from the site at a university career fair, we discussed what the position would require and what kind of candidate would be successful for the position. Applied for the job online, then was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview about a week after applying. Several days after the phone interview, HR set up a site interview for the following week. The interview was fairly quick, about an hour, and then I was given a tour of the mine afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions; I was asked if and how I met all the requirements listed on the job posting, e.g., Do you have experience with VBA? Do you have knowledge of basic metallurgical analyses and processes?   Answer Question

MIS Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold.

Video interview - easy interview , mainly behavoiral questions

Interview Questions
    • How would you work if you are stuck in some problem.   View Answer

Worked for Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold? Contribute to the Community!