FreshBooks Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FreshBooks in July 2015.

Interview

2 step process. First a behaviour and whiteboard case study. If you pass, the second round is a take home case presentation where you will present your ideas to a team. Overall a fun and interesting process. If you have prepped for pm roles at other companies this is not much different.

Support Rockstar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Had a quick HR phone interview and she called me in for an in person interview right away. I was interviewed by 3 people - friendly interviewers, somewhat informal. Because of the informal nature, it was sort of hard to gage at what they were looking for. I think getting the right balance of being their "perfect rockstar"and being professional is a challenge.

Interview Questions

• If you had to choose a superpower, what would it be? If your screen displayed a blank white page, what would you do ? (something along those lines)? When have you gone above and beyond for somebody?   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FreshBooks.

Interview

First you'll have a quick call with one of their HR reps who are by all accounts great to deal with. Second you'll meet some of the members from the department you'll be interviewing for, this is where things kind of fell off for me. This step seems to be more of a screening process than anything else likely because the Third Step involves you meeting with someone who actually has the decision making power, so keep in mind the pressure is on this first group to be pushing serious contendors to their senior managers. Problem is, seems like most of the people interviewing you at this step have limited knowledge of how things work outside of their current domain so when you're answering questions make sure you don't talk too much about things that a SCRUM Master wouldn't directly be dealing with because chances are the people interviewing are in their first PM type role so it will go right over their head and they likely won't be able to appreciate the value of what your saying. Advice to those interviewing: Step One: Be yourself and talk to the HR rep like you would talk to anyone, be open, transparent, and down to earth. Step Two: Don't walk in and get caught up in the perceived culture, although it is relaxed and definitely something to admire, their focus for the interview isn't on personality at all, regardless of what you have on your resume, they want to hear that you've done something exactly like what they are doing now. Step Three: Although I don't have experience with this step, you'll likely be meeting a more senior member that has to in turn worry about the team dynamic of his/her group, so this might be the time to kick that charm back into play. Advice to FreshBooks: No Disrespect meant by this, but if you're going to have people interviewing others for a position at least make sure they're experienced enough in their field to understand not every workplace is the same and that there is value in experience from roles outside of the ones in direct unison with their own. Also, if your concern is technical knowledge, ask technical questions.

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

-Applied online. -I went through a total of 6 interviews over a period of 9 weeks -1st interview was with HR, 30 minute chat, they outlined the rest of the interview process which was supposed to be another interview with someone in the same role I was applying to, potentially another with someone I would be working with, and then a "cultural fit" interview with the executive. -2nd interview was on the phone with a Scrum Master, asked specific "know-how" type questions -3rd interview was another phone interview with the Head of Product, they talked most of the time, asked me some 'cultural fit' type of questions -4th interview they brought me into the office for 45 minutes, two people interviewed me, another scrum master and a product manager. Asked some 'know-how' questions and asked some personality questions. -5th interview a couple weeks later was with the co-founder Levi who comes across as a very genuinely nice guy, asked some 'cultural fit' questions -6th interview was with the same person as the 3rd interview, Head of Product, he asked the same questions he asked the first time, mostly 'cultural fit' and personality related questions.

Interview Questions

• At absolutely every interview they asked "Why FreshBooks?"   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Only did phone interview, which was postponed via e-mail less than 15 minutes before we were to talk, reason given was a meeting came up. Over the phone the HR person was less than enthusiastic and after reading how the company prided themselves on customer services, I was surprised to learn that Account Managers were expected to log over 50 calls a day, which if you do the math is under 9 minutes a call. I did not point this out, but did admit that this was a much higher volume than I was used to in previous jobs. I did not get a call or email response that we were not moving to the next stage.

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

An employee from the FreshBooks HR Department contacted me with a request for a phone Interview. There was no initiation of contact on my part, as I was currently employed and quite happy with my position and employer. However, I must admit I was curious about FreshBooks. A standard 30 minute HR interview was conducted over the phone the very next day. It was pleasant enough and ended with a promise to contact me in several days to set up a more technical interview. Several weeks later I received an email form the same person apologizing profusely about the delay and another promise that a technical interview would indeed be set up in several days. That was the last time I heard from FreshBooks. I didn't bother contacting them back because quite frankly I was no longer interested. To initiate contact with me and then give me the run around is very unprofessional not to mention just plain rude. Clearly they do not value my time and there is absolutely no element of respect on their part. If this is any indication of how they treat their employees I'm pretty sure I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• What kind of technologies are you exposed to in your current position.   1 Answer

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

Freshbooks seemed an interesting place so I applied there and got an interview call with the HR within a week. The interview process: First there is a phone call with HR. If you pass it, a technical manager calls you and asks a bunch of technical questions. If you pass that, you are called in-house, where a bunch of dudes(who may not be proficient in interviewing) ask behavioral questions. If you pass that, then another in-house where you do pair programming. If you pass that, then another in-house where you meet with CEO(or someone similar) and they assess your cultural fit).

Interview Questions

• Does anyone sees any problems with the interview process? I do, here they are: 1. Its lethargic! They expect you set 5 time slots on 5 different days to complete the interview process! That is not easy by any means if you are working full time. Most companies have a round or two and usually 1 in house visit is good enough. 2. The second problem I felt was during my first in-house interview. I passed the first two and went in house to be interviewed by one manager/ team lead and one software developer. I felt they did not use the probing technique. I was asked to give an example of team work. I gave one. In the end, I was rejected and HR told me that they were looking for more example for team work ( as opposed to Solo work). It was disappointing . If they wanted more examples, then they should have asked for it. They should understand that a person with 4 years of industry experience must have more thatn one team project to talk about (and my Resume reflected that as well!). I think Freshbooks needs to invest more in their interviewers. The current process is extremely picky and not efficient. I have seen other companies do 5 interviews in a row and then all interviewers sit to discuss the candidate. That way, even if one interview did not go great, you still have another chance. Questions asked: First interview: About my Resume, why you want to work here, etc. Second: What is a deadlock? What kind of problems can occur when working with monetary values in code, how will you deal with them and what kind of data structures you will use? JavaScript - difference between double equals( == ) and triple equals ( === ) ? SQL: Difference between Inner Join and Outer Join javascript Difference between document.ready() and document.load() AJAX: Difference between a GET and POST When you open a web browser and type a URL, what happens? Your peer writes a simple web app that alows a user to register. User can then type a comment in text field, hit Submit and the comment gets displayed on the website. How will you review this? HINT: Talk about Security ( un validate user input can result in SQL injection (how to prevent it?), XSS attack( How to prevent it?). Talk about code structure, good code design, single responsibility principle, etc, you get the point. Third Interview: Why you want to work here, what is special about you? What will you get at Freshbooks that you won't get at your current workplace? Talk about an Interesting project. Tell us about a good team experience you have had and what made it so satisfying? (This is the one that bit me) Tell us about a time when you tried teaching something to someone and what was the outcome. Tell us about a time when you missed an expectation. Where you see yourself in long term? How do you like to work (Solo vs Team)? (Make sure to make them feel that you are a team player).   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at FreshBooks.

Interview

The process from start to finish was seamless, engaging and an overall amazing experience. From the first screening call, I knew that FreshBooks is where I wanted to be, based on the friendliness and charismatic tone of the HR rep I was dealing with. There were three interviews, spread across a week and each interview was focused on "the fit." It seems like the company is building on the culture, and stresses on what each new hire brings to the table. The first interview was with potential peers; smart, capable people with a positive outlook towards the role and company. A preliminary screening and interview to identify if they would want to work side by side. The second was with a Sales Consultant/Manager. This seemed to focus more on the role, and identifying if the necessary skills to perform the role were present, but again with an underlying tone regarding "culture fit". The third and final interview was with the CTO and Founder. Both have an amazing vision for the company and expect great things in the near future. This interview had a wide range of questions, again regarding the culture. Questions were along the lines of: What did you dress up as for Halloween? What would your friends say about you? Describe yourself in 3 words.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

The Freshbooks staff seemed very friendly (maybe a bit sleepy) but a good experience. What threw me off is why they've been hiring for over 2 years. With the reviews off Glassdoor in combination with their hiring time it seems a lot of people have been leaving and so they've been struggling to replace them 1) Phone interview : What gets sent in a header request, different types of REST protocols (PUT, DELETE, POST , etc) 2) face-to-face personality interview : Where do you see yourself in a few years, whats the worst job you've ever had, etc 3) Technical Interview : What do you find controversial about coding, the parking lot question (Given a parking lot write a class that puts, gets and searches cars in a parking lot), trick JS question that has to do with closure and scope

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2012.

Interview

Applied through Linkedin. Received a call from FreshBooks recruiter the next day and scheduled a phone interview with their sales lead. I passed their phone interview and was invited for a in person interview with 2 other members of the sales team. Before the interview I got a tour of FreshBooks office. Modern open concept office and very bike friendly workplace. Great corporate culture and friendly staff. The interview took a hour and half and I was told there will be about 4 to 5 interviews because they want to make sure you are a right fit for the organization. The first interview consisted formal and informal question. They really want to get to know who you are besides work and one part of the interview you got to speak to one of the sales staff about their experience. Tip - Remember to have a joke handy and make sure it's a safe joke too. Unfortunately, I did not make it further in the recruitment process.