FreshBooks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2014

3.3

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at FreshBooks in June 2014.

Freshbooks seemed an interesting place so I applied there and got an interview call with the HR within a week.
    The interview process: First there is a phone call with HR. If you pass it, a technical manager calls you and asks a bunch of technical questions. If you pass that, you are called in-house, where a bunch of dudes(who may not be proficient in interviewing) ask behavioral questions. If you pass that, then another in-house where you do pair programming. If you pass that, then another in-house where you meet with CEO(or someone similar) and they assess your cultural fit).

Interview Questions
    • Does anyone sees any problems with the interview process? I do, here they are:
      1. Its lethargic! They expect you set 5 time slots on 5 different days to complete the interview process! That is not easy by any means if you are working

full time. Most companies have a round or two and usually 1 in house visit is good enough.

2. The second problem I felt was during my first in-house interview. I passed the first two and went in house to be interviewed by one manager/ team lead and

one software developer. I felt they did not use the probing technique. I was asked to give an example of team work. I gave one. In the end, I was rejected

and HR told me that they were looking for more example for team work ( as opposed to Solo work). It was disappointing . If they wanted more examples, then

they should have asked for it. They should understand that a person with 4 years of industry experience must have more thatn one team project to talk about (and my Resume reflected that as well!). I think Freshbooks needs to invest more in their interviewers. The current process is extremely picky and not efficient. I have seen other companies do 5 interviews in a row and then all interviewers sit to discuss the candidate. That way, even if one interview did not go great, you still have another chance.

Questions asked:
      First interview: About my Resume, why you want to work here, etc.
      Second:
      What is a deadlock?
      What kind of problems can occur when working with monetary values in code, how will you deal with them and what kind of data structures you will use? JavaScript - difference between double equals( == ) and triple equals ( === ) ?
      SQL: Difference between Inner Join and Outer Join
      javascript Difference between document.ready() and document.load()
      AJAX: Difference between a GET and POST
      When you open a web browser and type a URL, what happens?
      Your peer writes a simple web app that alows a user to register. User can then type a comment in text field, hit Submit and the comment gets displayed on the website. How will you review this? HINT: Talk about Security ( un validate user input can result in SQL injection (how to prevent it?), XSS attack( How to prevent it?). Talk about code structure, good code design, single responsibility principle, etc, you get the point.

Third Interview:
      Why you want to work here, what is special about you?
      What will you get at Freshbooks that you won't get at your current workplace?
      Talk about an Interesting project.
      Tell us about a good team experience you have had and what made it so satisfying? (This is the one that bit me)
      Tell us about a time when you tried teaching something to someone and what was the outcome.
      Tell us about a time when you missed an expectation.
      Where you see yourself in long term?
      How do you like to work (Solo vs Team)? (Make sure to make them feel that you are a team player).
        Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at FreshBooks.

The process from start to finish was seamless, engaging and an overall amazing experience. From the first screening call, I knew that FreshBooks is where I wanted to be, based on the friendliness and charismatic tone of the HR rep I was dealing with.

There were three interviews, spread across a week and each interview was focused on "the fit." It seems like the company is building on the culture, and stresses on what each new hire brings to the table.

The first interview was with potential peers; smart, capable people with a positive outlook towards the role and company. A preliminary screening and interview to identify if they would want to work side by side.

The second was with a Sales Consultant/Manager. This seemed to focus more on the role, and identifying if the necessary skills to perform the role were present, but again with an underlying tone regarding "culture fit".

The third and final interview was with the CTO and Founder. Both have an amazing vision for the company and expect great things in the near future. This interview had a wide range of questions, again regarding the culture. Questions were along the lines of: What did you dress up as for Halloween? What would your friends say about you? Describe yourself in 3 words.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at FreshBooks in September 2013.

The Freshbooks staff seemed very friendly (maybe a bit sleepy) but a good experience.

What threw me off is why they've been hiring for over 2 years. With the reviews off Glassdoor in combination with their hiring time it seems a lot of people have been leaving and so they've been struggling to replace them

1) Phone interview : What gets sent in a header request, different types of REST protocols (PUT, DELETE, POST , etc)

2) face-to-face personality interview : Where do you see yourself in a few years, whats the worst job you've ever had, etc

3) Technical Interview : What do you find controversial about coding, the parking lot question (Given a parking lot write a class that puts, gets and searches cars in a parking lot), trick JS question that has to do with closure and scope

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at FreshBooks in July 2012.

Applied through Linkedin. Received a call from FreshBooks recruiter the next day and scheduled a phone interview with their sales lead.

I passed their phone interview and was invited for a in person interview with 2 other members of the sales team. Before the interview I got a tour of FreshBooks office. Modern open concept office and very bike friendly workplace. Great corporate culture and friendly staff.

The interview took a hour and half and I was told there will be about 4 to 5 interviews because they want to make sure you are a right fit for the organization. The first interview consisted formal and informal question. They really want to get to know who you are besides work and one part of the interview you got to speak to one of the sales staff about their experience. Tip - Remember to have a joke handy and make sure it's a safe joke too.

Unfortunately, I did not make it further in the recruitment process.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FreshBooks in April 2011.

I met some of their developers who convinced me to email in a resume. I quickly had a phone screen with their fantastic recruiter, then had three interviews over the course of a couple weeks:

First was a technical interview with three mid-level developers. Then came a technical interview with two mid-level developers and their developer manager. Finally, I had an interview with the developer manager and the two founders (CEO & CTO) that was solely for behavioral/cultural screening.

Overally, the tone of the interviews was very friendly. The people I spoke with generally seemed happy to be talking with me, and genuinely interested in hearing about my experiences. The technical interviews were not particularly challenging, and focused more on larger software-design-type questions than deep technical details.

They seem to be very (almost obsessively) focused on cultural fit, which seems to really show through their office, their product and the way in which they are adored by their customers. Their staff all seem to love working there, and the management team seemed very accessible. Overall I think it would be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

Received another amazing offer with a higher level of responsibility. It was a tough decision -- I'm sure working at Freshbooks would have been a blast.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FreshBooks in December 2010.

I applied online and got a call a few days later from a recruiter. She handled herself very professionally, and was my primary point of contact throughout the experience. I had three interviews, consisting of two different panel interviews, and a final interview with the CEO. The office is an open concept place, sparsely decorated. The culture seemed really collegial and focused around personal relationships and being friends with your co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question they asked was "What are the user experience shortcomings of your cellphone?".   Answer Question
    Negotiation was simple. They accommodated all of my small requests (such as start-date, pre-planned vacation, etc.), and salary was within my expectations.

Worked for FreshBooks? Contribute to the Community!