Fry's Electronics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied and they called me to come in at an appointed time for the interview. When I got there there were several other people waiting in line for interview times that were 30 minutes before mine. I ended up spending two whole hours going through 2/3 of the interviews. I would also like to point out that they initially lost my application and then found it later. The first interviewer was their Computer Sales Director/Manager. He was very straight forward/business-like and told me that he thought that I would fit in the position and would tell me if I answered a question right or wrong after he asked me one. He was probably the most nerve-racking part of the interview. I stumbled some mostly because I came absolutely unprepared, thinking that this was going to be a simple no-brainer type of job but I didn't realize how seriously they took the position. The questions that were asked were pretty ordinary job questions and others were specifically targetting the interviewee's ability to sell in the future. The Computer Sales interviewer made it clear that they were looking for someone who was bright, adept at selling and ambitious. They wanted someone who could make a lot of money quickly. The second interview was done in a room to the side instead of at one of the deserted registers with another director/manager and he continued with asking more generic work questions. Then he got to the meat in which he asked me to be honest if I would be willing to transfer to continue working at Fry's during the school year (since I am still in college) and I told them probably no. This would be a liability for them since it would mean costs from training me. He told me that he would leave the rest up to the last interviewer who also had the power to decide whether or not it was worth training me for just a summer's worth of work. That person was not at Fry's that day so he told me if they thought it would be worth it I would be phoned in a few days.

Interview Questions

• "If this product here was newer and faster but gave you no commission while the other product was an older version but had fewer errors and paid you commission, which would you try to sell to the customer?"   1 Answer

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Campbell, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

You have to walk in and hand in an application. Got a call back two weeks later to come in for an interview. I had to go through two interviews. The first one is a preliminary screening with a department manager who basically asks you about your qualifications and some of the things on your resume. Afterwards he hands you a paper with about 20 "where do you see yourself in 5 years" type questions to complete. Next you have an interview with the store manager who basically asks you questions from the form. Your either hired or not the same day.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Computer Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2012.

Interview

After putting my application at Fry's last week after walking in and telling them that I tried several times already, I got a callback the following Saturday for an interview scheduled on Monday. The interview was with the department manager, and he asked quite simple questions about my previous history, experience, projects, etc. I was told that I would get a call back by the end of next week in case the store manager would like to have me in for an second interview.
    The following day in the morning, a call came from some assistant and she asked me to come in for an interview in the afternoon. I was even told to 'wear proper clothes because it's going to be with the manager this time.' The interview with him was very short and really straightforward. I was asked about availability, and said that it would be best to start me off in Merchandising to build experience, so I could move on to Sales. After the interview was finished, I was asked to fill out paperwork about a background check and availability. Right after that I was asked to go to take a drug test, and give the receipt of that test back to Fry's until 3PM the following day, or I wouldn't be able to apply for 6 months.
    A few days later I received a call back to ask me about when I could come in for my orientation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not even a single mention about salary or commission.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview was thorough and straight to the point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Fremont, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

went in person and turn in the application to the HR manager, after 3 days got an call for an interview with the department manager and then the manager wanted me come the next day to talk with the store mananger. The store manager was awesome and asked me the same questions about the schedule and why i want to work at frys. Then he told me do the drug test and they ill do the background check anf let me now the process

Merchandiser/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Campbell, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

You are required to fill out an application. If you are chosen for an interview you will receive a phone call within 2 weeks. When you arrive you are given a questionnaire to complete with questions ranging from what is your customer service experience to how much you know about electronics. If you have trouble with the lets a supervisor know and they will waive that part of the interview. Next you meet with 2 department managers, they will ask you a few questions to get a sense of your personality and enthusiasm. Lastly you meet with the assistant store manager, they will describe the open positions and place you in the department that needs you the most. (not necessarily the one you're qualified for, but the one that needs you.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-negotiable pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Anaheim, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I originally applied for a customer service job, introduced myself to the manager & handed him my application. The manager said that he would be giving my application to the supervisor in computers (why? not sure). About an hour later, I received a call to schedule an interview for the following day. I went in 10 minutes early, & waited by a register. Finally, 40 minutes passed ...still no supervisor! And that's when about 20-30 other applicants showed up!! We were all placed at separate registers, and asked simple questions about ourselves. I was asked to sell a PINK paperclip to the supervisor, which I did & then was given two pieces of paper, one titles INTERVIEW #1 & the second being, INTERVIEW #2. Both sheets contained questions about what my favorite previous job was & why, what I had learned, who my favorite previous boss was & why, what my boss & co-workers would say about my work ethic, words that describe me, how I feel about criticism, gaps between employment, why I want to work at Fry's & what I feel I could offer. Filled the sheets out & was asked to walk around the store for 20 minutes... came back & was told to wait outside an office for a 3rd interview. By that time, there was MAYBE 5 of us left. 3rd interview was short & sweet... she basically shook my hand, told me that I would be working full time doing merchandising (possibly sales), & sent me to take a drug test. VERY SIMPLE. This was a VERY impersonal interviewing process, make sure you're wearing a white top, black dress pants, comfy dress shoes ( you may be standing for HOURS while they interview) & a huge smile....don't be nervous, it's really not so bad!

Interview Questions

• Sell me this paperclip...   1 Answer
    • what do you know about electronics   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO. They offered me minimum wage, take it or leave. Very clear.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Renton, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed at the front counter, right in front of everyone. My interview was not placed in a professional environment. And the management was completely fake towards your face.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate around my other job but only just barely. The have me working the same days as my other job and would not let me work around it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Burbank, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I walked into the store filled out an application and spoke directly with the manager. (If you just fill it out, I don't think you will ever be called in for an interview) We arranged for my interview a couple days later. The interview process was very easy. I was interviewed by two supervisors/managers and then the store manager. All three acted extremely unprofessional, making the interview process very easy. I went for my drug test...then they called and said I start tomorrow. The first week is 40 hours of training.

Computer Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Renton, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

Go into the store, fill out the yellow job application form. Attach a resume if desired (recommended). Put the form (or form+resume) in the submission box. If chosen, you will receive a phone call soon, say a few days. You will be asked to come back in nice attire with your resume handy, and you will be asked to see a departmental manager, who will ask you a few questions. Answer them as honestly as you can. The departmental manger gives you paperwork. Fill it out. Then go take your drug test as soon as possible. Hopefully you'll receive a phone call within the next few days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Frys?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Just attend the orientation.