Fry's Electronics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Walk in application, HR calls and schedule the first round. long wait, then a dept. manager comes to interview, basic questions about who you are and what you want to do, no experience necessary. what he or she told you that day is completely irrelevant to what job you get in the end though. then he or she will tell you whether you will come to another interview with the store manager, again, long wait. it seems the management is never punctual, yet they require you to be on time all the time. again, easy interview.

Service Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

For the San Diego location, they prefer to hire within the store/they only hire for this department if you already work for this store. They do this so that they can "test" you before they actually decide to have you transferred to the department.

My first "interview" consisted of the MT (Management in Training) showing me a motherboard, pointing to different parts and asking me what they were. My "technical interview" was, "Here's a customer's computer. It has a bad motherboard. Here's the new motherboard. Swap it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Required to become A+ Certified within 60-Days of transferring to the department. A few months later, it was then required for all Service Technicians to be Apple Certified (I think they gave us 6 weeks). At that time, the tests fees were reimbursed (first attempt only).

Now it is required that you are A+ AND Apple Certified BEFORE transferring to the department.

Accessories Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Plano, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

The hiring process is pretty simple. First you submit an application (resume helps, but not required) which they generally have them up front as soon as you walk in. Then in a week or two you will get called in for your first interview. This should be pretty easy, the managers are pretty lax, just be in business attire and act professionally yet friendly and you should be fine. If you get past this, in a couple of days, they'll call you for a second interview. Same deal as before. Then your done.

Courtesy Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Fry's Electronics (Dallas, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview was at a register that was not being used.
    questions asked:
    Are you good with computers (can you fix them)?
    Is there a certain department you would like to work in?
    What do you think some of our top products are?
    What kind of electronics do you like to buy?
    If someone needed help choosing a gift, what would you do?

Customer Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (San Jose, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Applications are available only in store which is great because it gives you a chance to speak the Hiring Coach (Hiring Manager). A resume is a bonus here. The interview part was a little frustrating because they ask you to be there at a specific time but you are waiting for a department head for at least an hour if not more. For my interview I waited 2.5 hours before someone came to speak to me. I asked numerous times by associates if someone was going to come interview me but no one had an answer. All they could tell me was that it'll be a few minutes. When I finally got a chance to be interviewed it only lasted about 10 minutes. They asked the basic questions on your experience in retail, availability and what you know about the company. If they like you, you'll get a second interview which requires a drug test that you have to pay for. By the way, they don't refund you the money. After passing they'll give you a call back on whether or not they want to hire you. The time span from the first interview to second interview to being hired is about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Be assertive on pay and hourly rate. What you tell them, they'll take it literally.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Austin, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

The hiring process seemed a tad bit rushed. I felt as if they were pretty much only checking my pulse. They threw all these side duties at me, then the minimun wage+commission, then asked if I could pass a drug test. That was pretty much it. I want to accept simply because it's remotely related to my degree field in IT but the seemingly low pay (it was dead every time I went in so I don't trust the commissions as a cashier required to do $10,000 a day!) and all the negative reviews here are making me think twice! Overall though, Fry's has been around for quite some time and I recognize a lot of employees there that have been around a while-I'm a regular shopper there so working there COULD be a good thing....

Negotiation

No negotiation whatsoever! This is the job, this is the pay, no the base doesn't go up (they actually told me that), and you won't hurt my feelings if you don't want the job (yes they said that too!) so take it or leave it! I took it but don't start for another week so still have the option of staying where I'm at.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I had an interview and they ask about last manager and weekness and somthing like that.

Decline to State Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

application, two rounds of in-person interviews

Negotiation

N/A

Customer Service Representative/Loss Prevention Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fry's Electronics in January 2011.

Interview

This was fairy standard process. I submitted a paper application to their customer service dept. and was contacted to be part of a group interview. The interview consisted of a diverse group of people all seeing to be routed into various departments. It was apparent to me that Fry's conducts these interviews every week and has a high turnover rate for employees.

There was a lot of politicking going on around our store (it had to be in every store, Corporate was no better than the retail). So much nepotism towards family, friends, girlfriends, etc. by the supervisors in various departments that it felt like a clique-ish high school environment. Black Friday is HELL for everyone involved. You, the shoppers, hate it because the lines are too slow. We, the workers, hate it because the systems are too damn slow and Corporate lives by the mantra, "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" They're never truly prepared for the hell that is Black Friday. I'm surprised nobody has been trampled yet like at the Walmart's in previous years (God forbid).

If a Fry's associate doesn't look knowledgeable on whatever question you have for them; it's best to leave them alone. They're probably from a different department and don't know the difference between a solid state drive or a drive rack from the Audio department. They weren't trained to know why product X is better than product Y. However, Mr. or Mrs. Sales Associate will happily offer you product Z (with a sales quote for you to bring to the register! How else will s/he make their lowly commission???)

Fry's sucked so bad to work at that I don't even like to shop there unless I absolutely have to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you love shopping at Fry's?   1 Answer

Negotiation

non-negotiable

Computer Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Electronics (South Houston, TX) in December 2010.

Interview

2 phone interviews and 4 person interview each 1:1 interview