Fry's Food

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.3

Assistant Front End Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fry's Food.

applied online and contacted by the district recruiter a few days later. Brought in for a panel interview. Typical questions for the most part. Left and was told I would be contacted with in two weeks, but got a phone call about 7 days later saying I got the job. They ran a background check on me and then I went in for a drug test.
    Two things to note...I had to call the district recruiter to check on my background check as he didn't get back to me right after he received the results. Also, they may bring you in at a lesser position than what you are qualified for and for a lot less money as well. The DR hired me for this position knowing full well that I was over qualified for it. Also, instead of being offered a full time position with benefits< I was given a part-time position without benefits and was promised a 40 hour a week work schedule. This is a company that doesn't like to hire management externally, so I was promised a quick rise to where I should be and something just to get my foot in the door. Time will tell whether or not that promise is kept.

Interview Questions
    • Do you consider yourself to be black or white when dealing with employees and customers?
      The whole point of this question is that they believe in bending the rules for the customers, but being strict about them with the employees.
        Answer Question
    no negotiation...salary requirements were discussed during the interview, but is still $10G+ less than what I was previously making. Meaning..they pay you what they pay you.

GM Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Food.

Basically the interview/hiring process takes about 1-2 weeks to complete. You get 1 or 2 face to face interview(s) with assistant and/or store manager. They will ask you basic questions about your background, previous jobs, etc. Although I HATED working for this company, I will say that the interviews they conduct are extremely easy and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for this specific company? It was not a difficult question, just kind of unexpected seeing as most people don't WANT to work in retail or take the job to get a source of income.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fry's Food.

Very unprofessional

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation with these people

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Food in November 2013.

The hiring process was very straight forward. I received a phone call asking me to come in for the interview. Once in the interview the manager was professional and pleasant. I was asked a few standard questions (i.e.Where do you see yourself in five years? What can you contribute to the company? how long would you like to work for us? etc.) He asked what hours and position I would like then told me straight out I was hired, which was very nice. Once that was over there was the drug test (mouth swab done on the spot) and filling out employment paperwork. All in all the interview was pleasant and easy with no extra fluff or questions intended to trip you up or derive some alternate answer.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't one as I said all questions were very straight forward and standard fare   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Food in October 2013.

Why you would like to work for the company and what does customer service mean to you?

none

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fry's Food.

Manager positions are often not posted as open so the promotion process is fairly closed door. This is frustrating and not motivating to most managers.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to Rodney McMullen if you were in an elevator with him for 30 seconds?   Answer Question
    None--they do not negotiate at all. Another questionable practice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fry's Food.

I was not interviewed. The manager at the time knew of me because I was a regular shopper and she asked me if I wanted a job.

N/A

File Maintenance Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Fry's Food.

You need to always be thinking of the customer and your role in keeping them returning. Most all questions are geared to that and your ability to get along with everyone.

none

Courtesy Clerk Interview

The interview process was very easy and relaxed. I was contacted about a week after I applied and the interview was scheduled recently after that. I wasn't asked many questions about the job, and the interviewers were very nice and attentive.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with previous unsatisfied customers or rude people.   Answer Question

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fry's Food in December 2012.

Application is reviewed, over the phone interview if your application/resume passes the initial screening. If the phone interview goes well, then you are brought in for what they call a panel interview usually consisting of 2-3 people. They all ask you questions and ask about your background and education.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate. The offer was more than I was currently making and I was out of work.