Fulbright Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.6

Research Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Fulbright.

Long, elaborate process. Start early, especially with your proposal/affiliation and to solicit recommendations. There's an initial national round, ending sometime in January, followed by interview with host countries in late winter. My interview was really relaxed, just answering a few questions about logistics and explanations for small parts of my grant proposal. If you get that far and have a well thought-out proposal, don't worry about the interview at all.

Interview Questions
    • How will you improve your language skills enough to carry out your project?   Answer Question

Fulbright ETA Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fulbright.

I was interviewed a few years ago by my university for a Fulbright ETA position in Jordan. Questions were about what I was going to do in my time outside of teaching.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do if you are unable to do your research project outside of being an ETA?   Answer Question

Full Research Fellowship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Fulbright.

An extensive screening process required by my university, including submitting multiple drafts for editing, interviews, language evaluations, and recommendations. When my proposal was recommended States-side for Russian consideration, I was interviewed over Skype in Russian by Fulbright employee.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was very brief, mostly a language evaluation. However I was asked to describe my project and my motivations in pretty lengthy detail, which took some preparation as it was all in Russian.   Answer Question

Fulbright ETA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wooster, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wooster, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Fulbright in September 2013.

The process involves a written application, with 2 essays (a personal statement and a project proposal), 3 letters of reference, transcripts, short answers, and an on-campus interview. The written part was much more difficult than the other parts. Each university has a set number of students they can recommend after the on-campus interview. I was interviewed by professors that knew me already so I was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging part of your study abroad?   Answer Question

Fulbright ETA (Indonesia) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Fulbright in September 2013.

Submitted an application through my university in September. Was interviewed by my coordinator and 2 other judges. Received a favorable review and submitted my application on the website in October. Found out I was a nominated candidate and made it through the first round in mid-January. Received my acceptance letter and offer documents by early March. Left in late August.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What is the GDP per capita in Indonesia?
      2. What is the population of Indonesia?

View Answer

Strategic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at Fulbright in April 2013.

There were a few rounds. I prepped by focusing on the technical aspect demanded by my prospective ministry, but none of that information was asked. Basically if you had been selected for an interview, you should be in. They might want to know if you have a preference for the ministry if you mentioned a couple in your application.

ETA Interview

Long long process. Be patient.

The first step was to submit the application through my university followed by university interview. When the university decides to recommend you to fulbright they then submitted to Fulbright (October). Next step... WAIT. I waited 3 months to hear I'd been recommended by the US to the country, then another 3-4 months to hear I'd been awarded the grant. Total process started in August and I was informed I received the grant late March.

Next was a full orientation in DC in the summer, and the grant commenced in January. Talk about a long time coming...

n/a

Analyst Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fulbright in July 2010.

I was first interviewed by an associate on basic questions such as my past experience and why I wanted the position. Then I was interviewed on the phone again by two people, an analyst and a group director. They asked questions related to my region of expertise and tested my know and analysis of policy issues.

Interview Questions
    • Is China's state led capitalism making the economy less efficient?   Answer Question

ETA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanoi (Vietnam)
    Anonymous Employee in Hanoi (Vietnam)

I applied online – interviewed at Fulbright in March 2015.

I moved on to the final round and got an interview for an ETA in Vietnam. Unfortunately, the internet connection was not great. It kept cutting off and I was worrying about what I was saying and how it was coming across. Questions were pretty general, such as what you have to offer, etc. It was a short interview.

Other job

English Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Fulbright in January 2014.

7-month long application process, + an interview

Interview Questions
    • All questions are pretty straightforward. They are mostly to test your language skills, and have to do with your interest in teaching, etc.   Answer Question
    n/a