Funcom

Updated Aug 7, 2014

3.2

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Funcom.

HR was great, she was able to ask me a lot of questions and make me feel welcome. Unfortunately, she's no longer with the company as they got rid of HR in general. The manager of the office at the time didn't have too many questions, he seemed unprepared which I was informed that many interviews went that way.

Interview Questions
    • They just want to know what games you play and what you can bring to the table.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Bilingual Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Funcom in March 2009.

They must have been particularly desperate for German speaking support reps at the time, because I put in my application and was contacted later that day and asked to schedule a phone interview. I spoke with the assistant manager of CS in German during my phone interview. They offered to fly me to Durham for my next interview where I met the other managers. I was asked to take some translation test that they use for their localization staff, and it was extremely difficult. He told me that he wasn't able to pass it either, and he just wanted to see how good my reading and writing in German was. It must have been acceptable, because they offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview, I was asked to talk about the last movie I watched (in German), which happened to be Outlander. It is a pretty ridiculous movie. So I felt rather silly talking about it on my phone interview.   Answer Question
    The starting salary wasn't negotiable, but I got relocation assistance to move to Durham, NC.

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Funcom.

Two interviews, one with HR and one with the producer on the project. Both were conducted well and professionally.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you have a clear expectation on your salary and push for it hard.

Senior Coder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Funcom in May 2010.

The hiring process goes very slowly. In Norway you can wait 3 weeks for HR to respond to your emails. Keep calling them and chasing up, until you get a concrete date and time for your interview. When arriving they are courteous and someone from HR will firstly sit you down for two half-hour pen and paper tests related to your skill set (mine were C++ and Oracle). After that you will talk for an hour with a game producer, a technical manager and HR. These are quite easy. It was the pen and paper tests that were hard.

Interview Questions
    • Extremely difficult sit-down pen and paper C++ language test that involved reading code (up to 50 lines) to determine outcomes and find / fix bugs.   Answer Question
    The salary was not really negotiable, they said "we are not a high paying company" although I was able to negotiate a home PC.