Fund for the Public Interest

Engaged Employer

Fund for the Public Interest Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.0

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in February 2015.

Interview

1st and 2nd round interviews were both on the phone, very simple questions. They're very desperate for people to work which really threw me off guard and just wasn't flattering.

Interview Questions

• What are the skills you possess that would make you a good Canvass Director?   Answer Question

The salary for the amount of work is just not worth it to me.

Canvasser/Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

Nothing difficult. Just want to make sure you can speak well enough to be going door to door five hours a day. Very basic questions about yourself and past experience. Be appropriate, confident, and energetic. Anybody can get the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation due to commission

Canvasser Interview

Interview

Easy, they hire almost anyone. They work on really cool campaigns but sometimes canvassing can get difficult so be prepared for what you are getting yourself into. It is a quick way to earn some extra money if you need a part time job

Telephone Outreach Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Very cursory. Interviewer talked about herself and discussed the organization's work in a recited script-like way. Asked to explain why interested in the job. Asked to read a script and complimented about its delivery. 2nd interview leads quickly to performing, then real on-phone performance.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in December 2014.

Interview

The interview took place on Skype. The technology was easy to use, no real glitches, and the interviewer seemed fully comfortable with it and ready to troubleshoot if necessary. The questions were generally easy and reasonable for the position. The interviewer was also fairly forthcoming about the working conditions and expectations of the position, and the whole tone was conversational.
    I was contacted a short time after the interview with an offer of a lower position that would have had me working up to 80 hours a week at a very low salary, with a contract to stay on for about a year and a half, which I turned down.

Interview Questions

• As well as the usual questions about my experience supervising others, etc, the interviewer asked about my history with canvassing and activism, and what types of organizations and issues I had been involved with in the past.   1 Answer

Application

interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in November 2014.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview went well, followed by a skype interview which did not occur (was waiting for incoming video chat for 15 minutes) it turns out I was scheduled to be interviewed by someone who was on vacation. the reschedule for the skype interview also did not occur

Unprofessionalism, disorganization, unsuitable working conditions, meager wage, workplace hazards

Assistant Canvass Director Interview

Interview

3 interviews total, first one was on the phone, second and third one in-person. The interviewers were fairly nice, laid back. Not overly difficult, mostly behavioral questions, nothing too technical. Key is to have a great personality shine.

Interview Questions

• Which activist do you aspire to be and how would you accomplish this goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Cannot negotiate

Assistant Canvass Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

Easiest interview ever, they hire pretty much anyone who walks through the door because they're so desperate for anyone to stay for more than a week. Any college graduate pretty much gets "promoted" (read: total demotion) to a director.

Canvasser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone call the next evening to come in for an interview over the next two days. Went in and spoke with one of the directors and that was it.

Telemarketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

Came in, talked about environmental causes and read a script. That was it. Nothing more. Tried to convince me there was some job growth or reasoning to apply myself here. I applied myself. Was fired for monitoring the number of voicemails vs. actual people being spoken to do articulate why my results were low. Can't win with these guys.

Interview Questions

• No questions, just told to be a mindless drone and pressure people for money.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Minimum wage regardless of college degree or experience.