Furniture Row

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

St. George, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Furniture Row.

Interview Details – Asked a lot of very personal questions that didn't seem to have anything to do with my employment capabilities

Interview Question – If my parents are still married...?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - 100% commision

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Springfield, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Furniture Row in May 2013.

Interview Details – Best interview ever. They really get to know you. 3 hour final interview. 3 different interviews with store and assistant managers and final with district. Most like a conversation and not a boring interview.

Interview Question – All difficult. Honest questions and expect honest answers. Looking for integrity and open people. No recent drugs history and no violence in your background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not a negotiation phase. Company pays the same for everyone.

Sales Associate Interview

Corona, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Furniture Row in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was recently interviewed by Furniture Row and asked:

Questions about why my parents' divorce
Questions about my roommates and what they do for a living
Questions about my landlord, his name, his career, and what he thinks of me
Questions about my siblings, their marital status, and their careers
Questions about my marital status

If you look up Furniture Row on glassdoor.com, there are a lot of other complaints from people who were asked ILLEGAL questions during their interviews.

Why does Furniture Row continue to ask inappropriate and illegal interview questions? What can I do to report this company to the appropriate government agency or pursue legal action?

Interview Question – Asked to explain why my parents got divorced. This was "difficult" and "unexpected" mostly because it was wildly inappropriate.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Creepy and shady interview process. Company sends out private investigators to interrogate your friends, family, landlord, etc. Morally reprehensible.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Furniture Row in August 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews total. 2 with store management and final with regional manager. They focus heavily on family life because they are looking for good quality people. If you aren't caring for your family then most likely you aren't caring for customers and employees. Be prepared to talk about your personal life for 30-45 minutes.

They are a drug free work environment. You can't have any drug use within one year if you're younger and 3 years if older. You have to be 100% against drug use. They will ask if a friend is doing it around you what would you do and they expect you to say leave or ask them to.

They do a very in depth back ground check (court ordered-look it up) if you don't disclose something they will fire you once they receive the background check.

I was a former hiring manager.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to discuss my family so much.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Furniture Row.

Interview Details – Ok just very long and kinda invasive

Interview Question – They ask alot about drugs and criminal activity. We are trained to ask these a certain way so they are legal but easily can be viewed as illegal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Salesperson Interview

Peoria, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Furniture Row in April 2013.

Interview Details – There is a 3-interview process: first with the manager, then with the assistant manager, and then with the regional manager. Each of them ask you pretty much exactly the same questions. The purpose of the interview is not to see if you are well-qualified for the job. The average person is already qualified in the sense of having the intellect and ability to speak. There are two purposes for the interviews: a) for the company to find out about your character because the company values that more than anything and to b) have you understand the heart of the company. I spent a good hour with my regional manager telling him about myself as a person, hearing his story, and then a bit of the logistical stuffs.

Interview Question – Tell me the story of (your name).   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Terre Haute, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Furniture Row in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was a 3 step interview, one with the assistant manager, one with the store manager, and one with the regional manager. The one thing that they stress is relocation.

Interview Question – What is your weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation

Sales

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Furniture Row in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very odd interview process. I had three interviews - one with the store manager, one with the assistant, and then one with the regional. Not the standard interview questions - at times I felt more like I was in therapy than a job interview. Lots of very personal questions, some about family status that felt inappropriate, if not downright illegal. Lots of questions about criminal history, drug use - kept pressing me to admit I had some criminal charges in my background, when I genuinely don't. And then I was informed that they apparently do a CIA - level background check, which seems a bit much to sell furniture. (It's nice furniture, but it's not *that* nice.) Honestly, I was kind of creeped out by the whole thing. The weird interviews, plus the fact that the job is commission only, makes the company seem a little sketchy. It felt like being recruited to join a cult instead of a normal retail store. No thanks.

Interview Question – Tell me about your fourth grade teacher.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay was based on commission alone. Company seemed weird and interview felt invasive.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Fort Collins, CO

I applied online and interviewed at Furniture Row.

Interview Details – The 2nd interview is done by the DM. This person asked illegal ?s. Even asked about childhood friends and family members that had nothing to do w/the job.

Interview Question – Who was your best friend growing up. Where do they live?
Why did you get divorced?
Mulitple inappropriate ?s, comments.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We are offering the position for $$$. Call back to discuss start date.

Sales
Johnson City, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Furniture Row.

Interview Details – BE HONEST otherwise they will fire you 6 months down the road

Interview Question – When were you in the back of a police car?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Furniture Row

Worked for Furniture Row? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Furniture Row interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Furniture Row employees and interview candidates.