Fusion-io Interview Questions & Reviews

21 interviews

Senior Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Fusion-io.

Very extensive, grueling interview process. Phone interviews with recruiter and hiring manager. Technical phone interview with senior test engineers. FULL DAY of on-site interviews with management, senior test and automation engineers, principal developers, program management, the director of test engineering - felt like entire office. Several of the test engineers I had already had interviews with on the phone. The principal developers seemed disinterested and at times condescending. The local recruiter was out of sync with the primary recruiter from the Salt Lake office on topics like.. SALARY.

Its worth noting, the Next-Gen folks are a tight knit group that have worked together at other companies over a number of years and joined Fusion-io through acquisition. I sensed some differences and tensions at times between the different groups, which could be one reason the interview process was stopped without an offer after such an exhaustive process. Ultimately, I am happy the way everything turned out, as I have ended up better off elsewhere.

Logic Design Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Fusion-io.

Two round phone interview .One is from the verification team ,the other is from the logic design group .The logic guy more focus on the HDL design .And the verification person place more emphasis on the software programming skill ,that is C/C++.

Difference between verilog and C ? what is pointer? what is class ?Some basic question about HDL programming and C/C++ .And the detailed question based on my resume project . Such as the difference between mealy and more FSM .

Interview Questions
    • Actually i think there are all basic question .Since on phone they can not ask you to write a FSM or design something .Thus i think get better understanding of basic concept about Hardware/Software Design is important .   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fusion-io in October 2010.

I saw a posting on a local Unix users mailing list and sent my contact info to the poster. I was quickly contacted by an HR staffer who put me in touch with the hiring manager. We had a brief lunch meeting at a local restaurant (the hiring manager, the HR staffer, and I). This was followed by a half-day interview cycle with four engineers and the VP in charge of the group. An offer was extended within two weeks of the initial contact.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle extraction of statistical data from the output of a large opaque system?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate compensation and a mechanism to handle health care coverage during the interim period between my previous employer's plan and the delayed start of the new employer's plan coverage. In general, the company seemed quite able to meet my requests.

Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fusion-io in December 2013.

No technical questions. Just Managerial experience/skills questions with hypothetical scenarios, that have different ways to address depending on the situation at hand. Two rounds of interviews. First interviewer was very good and to the point. The second interviewer was yawning since the first minute of the interview and never made eye contact. Seemed like he had already decided from the first minute.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fusion-io in April 2013.

Contacted by recruiter , setup Phone call with HR to discuss the position. Next had 2 telephonic Interviews, one with Hiring Manager which went well and then with Senior Engineer. Second Telephonic round was cancelled thrice, once the interviewer forgot, next time HR sent out the wrong time and the third time no one called. Never heard back after that, thoroughly unprofessional HR and staff.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were from OS and Compilers. Function pointers,locking mechanisms, threading concepts, spin locks, mutex locks and semaphores.   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Fusion-io in September 2009.

Technical phone screen, then on-site interviews with 4 or 5 team members and manager. Asked a variety of questions about UVM, SystemVerilog, verification planning, debugging, past projects, etc. People were nice and I could tell they were smart and would be fun to work with.

Interview Questions
    They were fairly tough on negotiations. Salary offer was good and I got a little more out of them. Relocation benefits were a little less than stellar. Would not negotiate on stock at all, but it was cool they even offered any (not many places doing that anymore, seems like).

Director of Sales Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fusion-io in April 2009.

I had past experience working with my Manager. He had a need and he knew I could fill it. I did a basic one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you had someone ask you a question regarding Linux OS what would you do?   View Answer
    None...I was unemployed, the salary was acceptable and I wanted to work.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fusion-io in August 2010.

I interviewed four times via phone with various HR and Sales Managers.

Interview Questions
    They made me a single offer, and told me there was no room for negotiation. I thought it was fair, and accepted.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fusion-io in July 2013.

They began with a lengthy coding task at home (create a machine code assembler for a legacy piece of hardware). It took many hours (I wasn't sure how fancy to make it, since the instructions said what it had to accomplish, but gave no indication beyond that of what they were really looking for).

Since they were happy with what I coded, I was asked to do interviews on-site (nothing was done by phone). It was five or six half-hour interviews in a row. In each case, the interviewer had an unrealistically long list of questions assigned by the company. Despite the fact that I haven't coded C/C++ in many years (and told them so), half of the questions I was asked were specific to C++ (I didn't have a clue on most of those questions, which were specific to new techniques that didn't even exist when I last coded in C++). The interviews were very uneven. The C++ portions were definitely a waste of their time and mine.

More surprisingly, even the Java questions were strange. Their use of Java is unusual and experimental, and they admitted it is likely to be refactored to something more normal in the future.

Since more than a month later I never heard anything back from them, I'm assuming they aren't interested (but it was such a weird interview that I probably wouldn't have accepted an offer anyway).

Interview Questions
    • I don't even remember the name of the C++ technique I was asked about (I had never heard of it before).   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fusion-io in June 2013.

Found the opportunity on the DICE job board.
    Applied on-line.
    Found LinkedIn 1st degree contact who facilitated an introduction to the hiring manager.
    HR screening interview.
    Hiring manager interview.
    All went well from my perspective.

Worked for Fusion-io? Contribute to the Community!