Fusion-io

Updated Nov 1, 2014

Senior Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io.

Very extensive, grueling interview process. Phone interviews with recruiter and hiring manager. Technical phone interview with senior test engineers. FULL DAY of on-site interviews with management, senior test and automation engineers, principal developers, program management, the director of test engineering - felt like entire office. Several of the test engineers I had already had interviews with on the phone. The principal developers seemed disinterested and at times condescending. The local recruiter was out of sync with the primary recruiter from the Salt Lake office on topics like.. SALARY.

Its worth noting, the Next-Gen folks are a tight knit group that have worked together at other companies over a number of years and joined Fusion-io through acquisition. I sensed some differences and tensions at times between the different groups, which could be one reason the interview process was stopped without an offer after such an exhaustive process. Ultimately, I am happy the way everything turned out, as I have ended up better off elsewhere.

Logic Design Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fusion-io.

Two round phone interview .One is from the verification team ,the other is from the logic design group .The logic guy more focus on the HDL design .And the verification person place more emphasis on the software programming skill ,that is C/C++.

Difference between verilog and C ? what is pointer? what is class ?Some basic question about HDL programming and C/C++ .And the detailed question based on my resume project . Such as the difference between mealy and more FSM .

Interview Questions
    • Actually i think there are all basic question .Since on phone they can not ask you to write a FSM or design something .Thus i think get better understanding of basic concept about Hardware/Software Design is important .   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io in December 2013.

No technical questions. Just Managerial experience/skills questions with hypothetical scenarios, that have different ways to address depending on the situation at hand. Two rounds of interviews. First interviewer was very good and to the point. The second interviewer was yawning since the first minute of the interview and never made eye contact. Seemed like he had already decided from the first minute.

Logic Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fusion-io in November 2013.

I had multiple phone interviews with HR, manager and Team Members. They were very friendly and helped me understand how they work and what they work on. Overall it was a pleasant interview process

Senior Field Support Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io.

I had an interview with the support manager at the time who is very technical, as well as one of the support staff. They asked me a lot of technical questions regarding Windows and Linux trouble shooting. I then had a second interview in person. I was flown to their office and I met with the director. He then gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the technical questions to be overly complicated   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fusion-io in July 2013.

They began with a lengthy coding task at home (create a machine code assembler for a legacy piece of hardware). It took many hours (I wasn't sure how fancy to make it, since the instructions said what it had to accomplish, but gave no indication beyond that of what they were really looking for).

Since they were happy with what I coded, I was asked to do interviews on-site (nothing was done by phone). It was five or six half-hour interviews in a row. In each case, the interviewer had an unrealistically long list of questions assigned by the company. Despite the fact that I haven't coded C/C++ in many years (and told them so), half of the questions I was asked were specific to C++ (I didn't have a clue on most of those questions, which were specific to new techniques that didn't even exist when I last coded in C++). The interviews were very uneven. The C++ portions were definitely a waste of their time and mine.

More surprisingly, even the Java questions were strange. Their use of Java is unusual and experimental, and they admitted it is likely to be refactored to something more normal in the future.

Since more than a month later I never heard anything back from them, I'm assuming they aren't interested (but it was such a weird interview that I probably wouldn't have accepted an offer anyway).

Interview Questions
    • I don't even remember the name of the C++ technique I was asked about (I had never heard of it before).   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fusion-io in June 2013.

Found the opportunity on the DICE job board.
    Applied on-line.
    Found LinkedIn 1st degree contact who facilitated an introduction to the hiring manager.
    HR screening interview.
    Hiring manager interview.
    All went well from my perspective.

FPGA Logic Design Coop Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io in May 2013.

Apply from school coop system, got first interview after 2 weeks, then the second interview after another week. Two weeks after that, decision was made. Another accident happened that the team did not have enough positions to hire me, but soon they asked one more from department.

Interview Questions
    • Most are normal digital design questions. I made mistakes and the interviewer helped me figure them out. The day after the second interview, they sent me a written simple question. It was about figuring out the power button logic, and making a rough design.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io in April 2013.

Contacted by recruiter , setup Phone call with HR to discuss the position. Next had 2 telephonic Interviews, one with Hiring Manager which went well and then with Senior Engineer. Second Telephonic round was cancelled thrice, once the interviewer forgot, next time HR sent out the wrong time and the third time no one called. Never heard back after that, thoroughly unprofessional HR and staff.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were from OS and Compilers. Function pointers,locking mechanisms, threading concepts, spin locks, mutex locks and semaphores.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fusion-io in December 2012.

Professional HR and VP (phone interview) but not satisfied with onsite technical interview team. Onsite interview started late and time for 1st interview was around 20+ minutes.

It would have been better if engineers were either focused on technical questions or on situations related to manager-engineer/manager-team questions. Instead questions on hypothetical mgmt questions that engineer itself has difficulty figuring out what he want to ask and probably don't has management experience in those situations to evaluate the answers.

Interview Questions
    • Example - how do you handle conflict between type A and type B groups...Tried to explain every person is different and we cannot label whole teams and finally after digging for some time it turns out what interviewer really wanted to ask was "how do you handle if your group has a dependency on a project with another group and the other team was late".

Explained in remaining extremely short time the solution is task and situation dependent and in general how managers try to proactively foresee and come up with a risk management plan before hand. Also how one would manage the risk, involve stakeholders etc when inspite of the best efforts the delay happens. I think engineer was looking for some clear cut rules that apply to all situations as answers for these questions. Unfortunately that doesn't work that way when you are dealing with people and situations in real life. Similar experience with few other questions.

On the whole unsatisfactory onsite interviews.

Answer Question