Fusion-io

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fusion-io in July 2013.

They began with a lengthy coding task at home (create a machine code assembler for a legacy piece of hardware). It took many hours (I wasn't sure how fancy to make it, since the instructions said what it had to accomplish, but gave no indication beyond that of what they were really looking for).

Since they were happy with what I coded, I was asked to do interviews on-site (nothing was done by phone). It was five or six half-hour interviews in a row. In each case, the interviewer had an unrealistically long list of questions assigned by the company. Despite the fact that I haven't coded C/C++ in many years (and told them so), half of the questions I was asked were specific to C++ (I didn't have a clue on most of those questions, which were specific to new techniques that didn't even exist when I last coded in C++). The interviews were very uneven. The C++ portions were definitely a waste of their time and mine.

More surprisingly, even the Java questions were strange. Their use of Java is unusual and experimental, and they admitted it is likely to be refactored to something more normal in the future.

Since more than a month later I never heard anything back from them, I'm assuming they aren't interested (but it was such a weird interview that I probably wouldn't have accepted an offer anyway).

Interview Questions
  • I don't even remember the name of the C++ technique I was asked about (I had never heard of it before).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Fusion-io

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fusion-io in May 2012.

Phone interview with the VP of engineering and then was flown out to talk with various people in the company. I spoke with the key hardware and software guys who were just interested in making sure I was competent, they asked basic programming questions, nothing too crazy. Mostly the interviewers wanted to make sure I would fit in the company and was relatively self directed.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any hard questions, it was mostly a get to know you interview.   Answer Question
    It took a little while for the recruiter to get information back to me because it was near Memorial day, and the negotiation took a little while because it has to go through senior management due to how small the company is. That being said they offered me more than I asked for so there wasn't a whole lot of negotiation, but it required CEO sign-off so it was just more time consuming than other companies.