G-Research Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.6

Soft Eng Interview

They recommend reading through to the reading list that they have provided in the email that they sent before the interview. There was no phone interview, and the onsite interview took 2 or 3 interviews.

Quantitative Research Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at G-Research.

I'm french. A head-hunter got my CV to G-Research. One week later, still through the head hunter, G-Research was "impressed" by the academic background, then wanted to submit a 90 min test. No any communication with G directly, even if I tried through social networks...
    I worked hard for the test, whereas I didn't get precise idea about the questions. I just knew that there were five parts, and I really was encouraged to read the first part of a book.
    Result: I didn't understand at all the spirit of the test, and hard working with the book was completely useless for the test. Unfortunately I didn't get it, and the result was still announced by the head-hunter.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at G-Research.

Applied through a recruiter and invited to sit the 90 min test on probabilities, stats etc. Needed a lot of preparation. If the test is failed that's the end of the process, and they tell you so immediately.

Interview Questions
    • portfolio management question requires some knowledge/practice if you're not familiar with that stuff   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at G-Research.

There was a technical test ( ~ 40m) and 2 face to face interview with 2 Senior SysAdmin. Unfortunately I cannot say anything about the technical test. The face to face interviews were about Linux Kernel , Bash scripting and multicast.

Interview Questions
    • It was not "unexpected" but the 2nd face to face interview focused too much on multicast.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at G-Research in November 2014.

Apply online, schedule an interview at the office. When you come in, they have you sign an NDA and take away your phone. You then sit a test for an hour, it consists of a bunch of generic CS curriculum questions as well as asking to write several functions on paper. Know some generic algorithm implementations before going.
    Then they take you out to lunch, it's cool. Once you come back, you get your results back. If you fail, you go home, else you stay for 3-6 additional interviews. All of the interviews are technical testing your algorithmic and coding skills, though you get asked competency based questions as well. I think 1 might be a group interview but I was the only one there so they skipped this part. The questions are very similar to what you'd get asked at other interviews. I'd say it's fairly difficult, comparable to Google. After 3 interviews, you might be asked to go home, otherwise things are going alright.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Applied via a recruiter. Invited for interview within a few days. Same building as DPFM (but different floor), as noted by others. Friendly, relaxed atmosphere, the guy who met me was in jeans. I was perhaps too casual though (other candidates were dressed more formally). Anyway, there was a test with some stats, probability, programming and portfolio management questions (I can't give any more detail due to NDA). You sit the test in a meeting room alone. They mark it quickly. I didn't make the grade (not least because I didn't even attempt the portfolio management question due to not understanding the terminology) and was rejected in a friendly, non-awkward way, with an invitation to apply again in 6 months (apparently I did fine on the probability/statistics/programming).

Interview Questions
    • Portfolio management question -- I had not done anything similar before and made no effort to learn about it before the interview.   Answer Question

IT Support Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at G-Research in September 2014.

I received an interview invitation very quickly. Their website did not give a lot of information about the company and the interview also reflected this. I had to complete a test before progressing to the interview. I had to complete a NDA, so I cannot give any details about the interview questions. I didn't feel particularly welcomed and I was dismissed quite quickly.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at G-Research.

I send my CV and got an invitation in a week via email. They asked me when I can visit them to take the test. They are very flexible with time, you can arrange the test after a month from invitation, anyway they recommend to make a good preparation. Everyone is very nice. The test is 90 minutes long, the questions are not difficult if you know the stuff, but you really need to know it, otherwise 90 minutes will not be enough. I did not knew anything about one particular question and made a mistake in the other, this led me to not getting to the face to face interview.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Informal interview to guage cultural fit then an interview with the head of the office. The first interview was pleasant, the second was quite pointless and in no way relevant.

Interview Questions
    • a few questions like "what is the square root of 5625?"
      Others like "what is the angle between the two hands of a clock if the time is...?"

View Answer

Trading Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at G-Research in June 2014.

Initially I was approached by a recruitment company offering a job in hedge fund. I was supposed to have a 1-1 interview in G-Research office in London. Instead, when I arrived to the office, I was given a paper test with coding questions where candidate was supposed to write code on paper. Usual 1-1 interview didn't happen, but I had a chance to ask questions on the company, its team, its practices.

In terms of work culture, according to what I have heard/understood from HR manager, G-Research is not really a hedge fund, but a R&D company which is in the business of outsourcing (body shopping) its services to several asset managers/hedge funds. They don't practice any methods for agile development and teams cooperation.

I was treated like a junior candidate, even though I was coming from BBB and have 10+ years of management and 15 years in development. HR manager didn't pay attention to my skill set, my CV, my experience. As far as I understood, they were looking for some junior and less questioning/critical person. So in my opinion one should expect similar body shop culture in G-Research with all pluses and minuses once he/she joined them.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot disclose the questions/answers due to signed NDA. On the other hand, this information would not be valuable to a candidate, because in my opinion the test is easy, but the test review process is random, so whatever a candidate has answered, they will their verdict which may be irrelevant and somewhat random. Candidate cannot discuss or appeal their verdict, nor it is possible to talk to a person who reviewed candidate's results.   Answer Question