GAO

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at GAO in February 2010.

Interview Details – I filled out the application on USAjobs.gov. I was called to set up an interview about two months later. My interview was scheduled for my half birthday (February 10, 2010) during the Washington D.C. snow storms so I was stood up for the first scheduled interview, but we re rescheduled :)

I was supposed to be interviewed by a panel, but because there were people missing from the office there was only one gentleman and our conversation was recorded. They asked me about times when I was part of a team, how I prioritized projects, and my writing. It was very conversational and we talked more about his experience after the "interview" portion was over. We had a very honest conversation about the two positions I was being interviewed for and the pros and cons. The people I ended up working with were fantastic. The colleagues I found at the GAO were top notch.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, although I probably could have.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at GAO in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview included a simple phone interview that last about thirty minutes. I was asked the standard fit questions and briefly asked about my technical background. The interviewers seemed genuine and soundly like they actually enjoyed their work.

Interview Question – Please describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team. What was the biggest obstacle? How did you achieve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it is the government there is very little room for negotiating.

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GAO in March 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online at USAjobs November 2008, received a call-back March 2009 and scheduled a 60 minute phone interview (with the 3 interviewers). Received my job offer in April 2009 and began working May 2009.

Interview Question – Please describe your approach to evaluating a policy or program   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for GAO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GAO Summer Analyst interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by GAO employees and interview candidates.