GDS International

Updated Aug 4, 2014
Updated Aug 4, 2014

2.5

Conference Coordniator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GDS International in February 2012.

Was asked to come in for an interview on three different occasions. The whole hiring process took a little over 2 weeks. First interview was with the HR manager with simple questions and took 5 minutes in total. Second interview was in the conference room with two different managers in NY on Skype. Those same managers I never spoke to again during the duration of my time at GDS. Last interview was with the conference director. Not too professional more of a amicable experience.

I was offered 30K and hoped for 40K, asked for 35K and got 32K

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GDS International in July 2012.

Applied online, got a call from a recruiter the next morning. Interviewed me right away on the phone for a few minutes. Called me in for a 1:1 interview within the next two days, called and emailed me a couple of hours later with a job offer.

International Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GDS International.

HR looked like their were going Bowling and ready for interview,,, Not in a google or Apple kind of way.

GDS sells Marketing events but needs to learn to be professional in order to sell to professionals.!!
     Can you say SMOKE and Mirrors!!! No Brand can survive like that.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GDS International in October 2012.

two interviews. nothing out of the norm - basic questions. they were honest and upfront and I appreciated they're communication. professional across the board

fair.

International Sales Executive Interview

interviewed at GDS International in January 2013.

1 phone interview and 2 office interviews, currently in 1st training week so will see how it goes, I have read a lot of bad reviews, but I have no issues to report so far. I will update in about 2-3 weeks after my first pay check. I have declined other offers and told everyone about my new job so I hope this is really training week and not an audition week. I was promised no bait and switch in the interview and was giving a formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Only one difficult question. it was more about getting a feel for me and explaining what the job was.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation, I was satisfied with initial offer, I will negotiate when I'm in a stronger position i.e: when I prove my self. it is a performance based job.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at GDS International in March 2012.

Fine interview- pretty generic. No real "thoughtful" or tough questions. Atmosphere of work environment was definitely not my style, but can see how others would fit in better. (Must like answering to numbers- which I didn't see as relevant for an event manager... but it seems to be an extremely sales oriented place.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at GDS International in December 2011.

The entire interview process consisted of 1 phone interview and 2 in person interviews on different days. The phone interview was with one of the two HR reps. She asked me several generic questions about my background, explained the basics of the job role and asked if it was something I could see myself doing. The phone interview took about 5 minutes tops.

The next interview was in person, with the same HR rep. I met her at the office and the interview was about 30 minutes, very simple and easy with very few questions. She asked me what my hobbies were and what I liked to do for fun. There was no real discussion of my previous experience nor the job role itself really- instead she mainly talked about all the perks, to get me excited (and it worked at the time). She said that most people in the role make at least 100k their first year then asked me if that was a salary I was comfortable with (obviously... ), then she went on to talk about the travel opportunities and prizes for hitting goals. That was about it.

Then a few days later she followed up with me to invite me back for a third interview, this time with the other HR rep. I was skeptical at this point considering the last interview was eerily easy and not complex at all. However, I went in for the second in person interview and met with the other HR rep. He asked me more in depth questions to my relief, asked me to describe how I would handle certain difficult situations over the phone, how my previous roles and experiences would translate to helping me in this position, etc. Overall he asked very good, in depth questions that made me feel like they were really taking these interviews seriously in trying to find the best people for the role.

A few days later I was called back and offered a position. I accepted at that point. I was told the first week would be a training week. One of the HR reps emailed me with the employment letter, but said that for the first week I'd only get a $250 stipend, and the actual salary wouldn't start until the next week. I was concerned about this and asked her, asking if that meant that I wouldn't necessarily be officially hired until successful completion of the training week. She quickly assured me this was not the case, that I was already officially hired. She didn't really explain though why they only paid $250 for the first week. I later found out.

I started the training week, with an idea of what the position would be like in my head based on what the two HR reps had described it as. I was in a training group with 7 other individuals. 4 women, 4 men- all between the ages of 23-late 30s. Everyone was really nice. Both HR reps were also training us for the week. I found out later that the two of them were initially sales executives and then became heads of HR not long after. That doesn't really compute for me.

\ We had to practice reading through a ridiculously wordy sales pitch. Rather than how we articulated ourselves or how we spun the words, they were more concerned with (literally) how loud we spoke when we read the script. We had to all walk around the sales floor and basically yell the sales pitch over and over. We were told we were "constantly being watched" by managers and execs, who were mostly focused on how loud we were being, and that's what they judged our skills and qualifications on.

We were able to speak with other sales execs on the floor to get feedback about the job from them, which proved very helpful. They were honest with us. They said that the training week was actually a week to weed people out- that "not everyone makes it" through the training week, and that we're constantly being watched and 'scored' all week. They said there was a very high turnover rate. We were told that the industry we would be working in/the teams we would be placed on all depended on which managers wanted which employees on their teams, if our "personalities matched".

Ultimately I made a decision at the end of the training week to not continue on. I was already unnecessarily stressed out and this was only a training week, not the actual job. They were very secretive as well. The HR rep even wrote on a piece of paper something to not tell us/talk about and handed it to one of the managers when they were meeting with us.

The managers for the most part were VERY unprofessional as well- most of them had condescending "holier than thou" attitudes and swore A LOT. I don't get offended easily and my last role was in a casual work environment where everyone got along and was friendly/young- but no one spoke that way.

It was a waste of time. Still got my $250 though, thanks.

Interview Questions

I chose to decline the offer because the role itself became clear to me that it was so much different than was initially described. Everyone seemed miserable and I could tell I was going to be miserable if I continued working there.

The way they judged your skills and ability to perform the job was completely ridiculous. I was reduced from an intelligent, creative, hard working individual to some puppet that they controlled to do whatever they wanted and I wasn't about to play that game. It was just a sneaky, borderline creepy training week and despite the promise of a really decent salary, I was not going to sacrifice my wellbeing/livelihood for that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at GDS International in April 2010.

In my 13 years of interviewing, I had never encountered a more dishonest, abusive and misrepresentation and misleading interview as this. The HR director misleads you on being hired, provides you with a company contract, then after you start on a Monday, you walk in a room of !$ or more people, they then inform you of their verbal and written exams in which you MUST pass to get the job.... But even when and if you pass, this is not a guarantee of employment as you might just NOT fit in their environment. They hire based on their opinion of fitting in, and not credentials or even the ability to perform well. Be Very Careful!!

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiat as I was not even given the chance to work, even after having passed in fact done well in their exams.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GDS International.

Found me on LinkedIn, offered me an interview, went to 2 interviews, got the job. Meet the HR manager and the Chairman. Hired within a week. The process was relatively painless. Chairman interviewed me for 7 minutes

Poor

Senior Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GDS International in August 2009.

Telephone interview to start, followed by a first f2f with recruiter, then a second with the head of division you'd be working within. Very fair process, and you get a good introduction to the whole company.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately, i was a recent graduate and this was my first and only interview so far. All of it was unexpected.   Answer Question

Worked for GDS International? Contribute to the Community!