GE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Ops Leader Interview

Ops Leader
Schenectady, NY

I applied online and interviewed at GE.

Interview Details – When they decide to move ahead, they really move. Got a call and did a phone interview and a week later they flew me out. The interview consisted of hoping around through maybe 6-8 interview sessions, a short tour with a disgruntled Union employee and that was it. I had maybe two follow up phone calls, one an interview with the plant manager and that was all she wrote. I thought it would be harder....

Negotiation Details – They asked what i wanted and I'd never been asked that before and they gave me much more than I had planned on, but cost of living is greater out here as well.

REDP 10 Week Internship Program Interview

REDP 10 Week Internship Program
Schenectady, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GE in February 2014.

Interview Details – Selected for an on campus interview after submitting through university career website. Called back in a few weeks for interview (Renewable Energy Leadership Development Program) on campus. Received call back for this program for full time.

Interview Question – Questions Included for 10 week internship program:
Behavioral Questions, Resume Run Through
Tell me about yourself.
What do you know about the renewable energy industry? (I.e. passion for renewable energy)
Why renewable energy development program?
Explain a time when you used a logical approach to solve a problem?
When have you failed to meet an objective?
What is your biggest weakness?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My credentials were more than what the internship wanted, and since I was looking for full time, they pushed me to interview for the full time development program (2 yr program).
They then flew me out to Schenectady for the interview for the full time program, not the 10 week internship program.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Schenectady, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at GE in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview not conducted by direct boss but by underlings. Very strange since after been hired direct manager started manipulating me and playing games. It seemed the chemistry was not there and decided to lay obstacles for my exit. On interview was promised training by mentor but after been hired you discover that you are on your own. On yearly review manager complained I asked too many questions which caused disruptions. Explained it was caused by my curiosity and total lack of training but was totally ignored.

Interview Question – Even though company building product for over 100m years, lack of communication within departments, personal territorial boundaries, politics gets on the way of quality product and achieving personal goals.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Schenectady, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at GE in May 2010.

Interview Details – The person who interviewed me was rude and they never called me back even after I called twice to ask when they wld be hiring someone

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses   Answer Question

Commercial Manager Interview

Commercial Manager
Schenectady, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GE in June 2010.

Interview Details – Logistics were real complicated, the Recruiter wasn't responsive and arranged everything last min.
But the interviews were a great opportunity to meet the team. i met or had conference calls with 5 people. They were more like conversations where they described the role and assessed my fit with the team.

Interview Question – If you are focusing on a market come prepared with insights, key players, and how the company is playing in it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated the terms with the hiring manager... Pretty straight fwd. the written offer took a long time due to recruiter's process

Chemical Engineer Interview

Chemical Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE in March 2009.

Interview Details – Very open and good response. HR is very responsive

Interview Question – Talk about your most difficult job/project situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with 2 scientists. Then moved on to on-site interview that ran all day. There were 2 technical interviews asking me about specifics about my project and then 2 non-technical interviews that asked me about people skills etc.

Interview Question – What is the Nyquist limit in optics?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Lead Scientist Interview

Lead Scientist
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE in January 2008.

Interview Details – Professional interview process; However, more emphasis given on development skills and very little on research expertise

Negotiation Details – GE India is a poor pay master and does not provide competitive salaries. Their salaries are nearly 30-35% lower than regular market rates, yet they claim that is what a person is worth.

Mechanical/Materials Testing Engineer Interview

Mechanical/Materials Testing Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at GE in November 2011.

Interview Details – I got the initial phone call about three months after my online application. This consisted of a general check of my experience, as well as my career goals. Based on that, I was then asked to give a presention on the phone about my thesis work. This was limited to about an hour and consisted of some technical questions asked by a group of three staff members plus the hiring manager. Then they wanted me to come in and give another presentation in person, as well as do group/individual interviews. The hiring manager was clear about what he wanted in the phone presentation, but less clear about the on-site presentation. I messed this up by not asking enough questions, so make sure you are 100% clear on what they are looking for. The people there were generally nice, but seem a little cold and distant. Since I met with about 10 people that day, I think that it was intentional and part of the way that GE interview, so I would not let yourself be discourage by that. It is a corporate culture and there are some things that go with that, but there is a lot of room to move up in the company and the feeling I got is that they expect you to do just that. Being able to communicate effectively is a big deal both on a personal and a group level.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Business Transitions Intern Interview

Business Transitions Intern
Schenectady, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GE in February 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed for two different positions: first on the Communications team, a role which I wasn't offered, and subsequently on the Business Transitions team, which I was considerably happier about and accepted as soon as the role was offered. The process started with a phone call from HR about 2 weeks after I had submitted my application through both my universtiy and the GE Careers website. I elected to interview one week following the phone call. The interview (with the Communications team) consisted of 2 group interviews and a one-on-one interview with the team leader. The atmosphere was quite relaxed, and the questions asked were quite standard fare. I found out 2 days after that I didn't get this position but was being considered for a different one on another team. One week later, I interviewed for the Business Transitions intern role, and had a similar 3 panel interview, which was again fairly relaxed. Two days after the interview, I received a call from HR and my offer letter a few days afterwards.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to deal with conflict within a team.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations for this position; however, I did hear that another intern stated upfront that he would only be able to spend 9 months in the position instead of the customary/required 12 months, and he was still offered te position.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!