GE Aviation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Designer Interview

Engineering Designer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GE Aviation in October 2011.

Interview Details – Rotate between 4 interviewers over the course of a couple hours. They all ask you more or less the exact same questions. Very generic corporate-style questions i.e "what is the hardest thing you have ever accomplished".. Nothing very technical, but some of these questions are hard to find an answer for on the spot (because they are so stupid), so if you haven't prepared correctly you may struggle.

Interview Question – Just stupid questions likes "what are you most proud of?" and the like.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much, they offered a salary and I took it. They emailed the offer, not much room for negotiation.

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at GE Aviation.

Interview Details – No technical questions. They tried to figure out if I was a fit for the position based on past employment history. Standard questions otherwise like How did you approach a difficult situation in your past job, What do you like/dislike about your past job, Why do you want to work for GE. It's important to show enthusiasm.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. I prepared myself like I would for any other interview with a company I'm interested in working for.   Answer Question

Contracts Management Leadership Program Interview

Contracts Management Leadership Program
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GE Aviation in November 2013.

Interview Details – The initial impressions were very welcoming and upbeat. The two interviews (one former alumni of my school and the other a higher-end manager of the program) had normal conversation with me, and they asked questions like real people. They weren't robots. They had sincere styles in how they asked situational questions; they actually wanted to get to know who I was as a person. I felt like I could really connect with them. I eventually was invited to fly down to their Cincinnati headquarters for two more interviews - one with a manager in their HR department, and the second with a program manager from the first one and another guy who is stationed in Cincinnati and helps with the program. Once again, it was a very sincere, yet professional conversation. They really wanted to know who I was, not just to score my generic situational answers on a sheet. Although I didn't get the job, I was very happy with the experience.

Interview Question – Why GE Aviation? Why GE overall?   Answer Question

Lead Engineer/Technologist Interview

Lead Engineer/Technologist
West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GE Aviation in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. After a 15 minute conversation, mostly just going over my resume, I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview was an all-day event, with 5 one-on-one interviews (i.e., team lead, engineering executive, staff engineer, HR, and hiring manager). Most of the interviews were a review of my resume, a few bits about the position, and some behavioral questions.

I got a call two days later saying there were some concerns over functional fit and was able to secure a follow-up phone interview for a few weeks later. The follow-up took about 30 minutes and was mostly a discussion about how I would overcome the steep learning curve and went very well; I was told that my paperwork was going over to HR for final approvals and to expect a call back in two weeks. Four weeks later I got a call back turning me down.

My overall impression was that I was turned down because I was an external candidate. The thought being that it was next to impossible to learn everything I needed to be successful, because even the internal new-hires are struggling in this position. With that said, it makes me feel like the entire process was a waste of time, money, and effort.

I do however, feel that this was not a typical cycle. I recently had another on-site interview, with a different group, that had much different feel.

Interview Question – Can you describe the Brayton Cycle?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GE Aviation in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, phone interview and finally in person/panel interview. Interviewers were kind and not over intimidating like a lot of panel interviews. Lots of personality questions and "how would you handle this situation" questions. The whole apply to hired process took a great while but not out of the ordinary for a large corporation.

Interview Question – None that were unexpected or very difficult in particular.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quick and to the point.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GE Aviation in January 2011.

Interview Details – Was working at Belcan for 10 years on various GE related projects. Quit to work at WPAFB and ran into GE Aviation employee I had worked for as a contractor. Was asked to come to work at GE and agreed to interview.

Met with Section Manager (Executive Band) and then Division Manager (Executive Band). Significant discussion on my leadership & mentoring experience and what role I would take on if I came to work at GE.

Then had panel interview with 5 senior engineers (all 15+ years experience). Most had known me from my working on GE projects at Belcan. Discussion on projects I had worked on - both successful and less successful projects. Asked how I ensured success, and when things didn't go well, how did I document lessons learned and ensured these were applied to future projects. Also, significant discussion on leading/training new employees. Focus of discussion was how I could foster team building, mentoring and guiding a team of young engineers on a high-tempo project - and minimize errors and re-work.

Similar discussion with HR Manager - leadership, mentoring experience, would I be willing to continue on this path at GE.

Significant emphasis on being a leader, following processes and procedures, taking responsibility for myself and my team's performance. Also building and fostering a strong team environment - supporting each other in the development of the program.

Interview Question – What different mentoring/leadership techniques would I bring to the table to mentor those young engineers as being 'problematic' and 'unable to perform.'   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Went back and forth on initial salary - ended up getting the salary I wanted.
Wanted more vacation time - but HR was unwilling to budge on this offer.

ITLP Intern Interview

ITLP Intern
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE Aviation in December 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed just over the phone. Questions were very basic, including my background, what programming languages I knew, and what I wanted to work on at GW.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had other more appealing offers. It was too corporate for me.

Engineer/Technologist Interview

Engineer/Technologist
West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GE Aviation.

Interview Details – My initial contact was with a human resources representative who set up a phone screen with one of the hiring managers. After that screening, I was contacted again by human resources and told they wanted to do an in person interview. The actual interview was actually 5 interviews, one with HR, one with the hiring managers, one technical interview, and two other "GE value" type interviews. The HR rep told me that they were making an effort to back to interviewees quickly after the in person interviews, and that was the case. I had an offer about 1 week later.

Interview Question – The technical interview was not necessarily hard, but you have to know engineering fundamentals or else it won't go well. Also, the HR interviewer will make you feel relaxed and tell you their interview is not as important; but hiring managers have told me after starting work that HR has vetoed candidates that the managers wanted based on what they found out in that interview. So stay on your game the whole time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GE Aviation in June 2013.

Interview Details – Worst interview ever! First, the directions to the parking area are wrong, referring to a lot that is not mentioned on the direction sign. Then after signing in at the guard gate, you meet with HR for two minutes to turn in paperwork, and are then sent to another gate for the interviews. (Couldn't HR meet you at the second gate?). Then the day starts with no introduction as to who you will meet and where they fit in the organization. The "real" HR interview was held by telephone -- and the phone number was wrong! Well, after blowing the most inane question I was ever asked, I was blackballed while in the telephone HR interview, so you can imagine the day went downhill from there. Finally, they didn't formally get back to me for four weeks!

Interview Question – What advice would you offer to the managers setting up the operation?   View Answer

CDN Module Lead Engineer Interview

CDN Module Lead Engineer
West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at GE Aviation in August 2013.

Interview Details – As a potential returning employee I was struck by how different the interview was from twenty years ago when I first came to GE.
The interview consisted of four one hour conversations in a small break out room fifty feet from the front door. There was no tour of the office or facillities. Very little effort was made to convince me it might be a place I would enoy working. I received no follow up correspondence other than a system generated e-mail saying that I was no longer a candidate for the position. Everyone I dealt with seemed to be going through the motions.

Interview Question – The questions weren't particularly challenging. A lot of the usual behavioral stuff like tell me how you handle condflict or failure.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at GE Aviation

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!

GE Aviation Videos

GE Aviation – Why Work for Us?

At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Aviation interview questions and advice in Cincinnati, OH. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by GE Aviation employees and interview candidates.