GE Aviation

3.1

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at GE Aviation.

No technical questions. They tried to figure out if I was a fit for the position based on past employment history. Standard questions otherwise like How did you approach a difficult situation in your past job, What do you like/dislike about your past job, Why do you want to work for GE. It's important to show enthusiasm.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. I prepared myself like I would for any other interview with a company I'm interested in working for.   Answer Question

Lead Engineer/Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE Aviation in December 2013.

I was initially contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. After a 15 minute conversation, mostly just going over my resume, I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview was an all-day event, with 5 one-on-one interviews (i.e., team lead, engineering executive, staff engineer, HR, and hiring manager). Most of the interviews were a review of my resume, a few bits about the position, and some behavioral questions.

I got a call two days later saying there were some concerns over functional fit and was able to secure a follow-up phone interview for a few weeks later. The follow-up took about 30 minutes and was mostly a discussion about how I would overcome the steep learning curve and went very well; I was told that my paperwork was going over to HR for final approvals and to expect a call back in two weeks. Four weeks later I got a call back turning me down.

My overall impression was that I was turned down because I was an external candidate. The thought being that it was next to impossible to learn everything I needed to be successful, because even the internal new-hires are struggling in this position. With that said, it makes me feel like the entire process was a waste of time, money, and effort.

I do however, feel that this was not a typical cycle. I recently had another on-site interview, with a different group, that had much different feel.

Engineer/Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GE Aviation.

My initial contact was with a human resources representative who set up a phone screen with one of the hiring managers. After that screening, I was contacted again by human resources and told they wanted to do an in person interview. The actual interview was actually 5 interviews, one with HR, one with the hiring managers, one technical interview, and two other "GE value" type interviews. The HR rep told me that they were making an effort to back to interviewees quickly after the in person interviews, and that was the case. I had an offer about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview was not necessarily hard, but you have to know engineering fundamentals or else it won't go well. Also, the HR interviewer will make you feel relaxed and tell you their interview is not as important; but hiring managers have told me after starting work that HR has vetoed candidates that the managers wanted based on what they found out in that interview. So stay on your game the whole time.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Contracts Management Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Aviation in November 2013.

The initial impressions were very welcoming and upbeat. The two interviews (one former alumni of my school and the other a higher-end manager of the program) had normal conversation with me, and they asked questions like real people. They weren't robots. They had sincere styles in how they asked situational questions; they actually wanted to get to know who I was as a person. I felt like I could really connect with them. I eventually was invited to fly down to their Cincinnati headquarters for two more interviews - one with a manager in their HR department, and the second with a program manager from the first one and another guy who is stationed in Cincinnati and helps with the program. Once again, it was a very sincere, yet professional conversation. They really wanted to know who I was, not just to score my generic situational answers on a sheet. Although I didn't get the job, I was very happy with the experience.

Buyer/Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online – interviewed at GE Aviation in August 2013.

Phone interview. I was asked about what I know about GE and to tell about myself, and review my resume. Focus on transition from job to job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to lead across functions to obtain a goal.

Tell me about a time you had to re-route your directions based on a shortage or increase in demand of materials you were responsible for.

Tell me about a time when you solved a problem based on inefficiency.

Answer Question

CDN Module Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GE Aviation in August 2013.

As a potential returning employee I was struck by how different the interview was from twenty years ago when I first came to GE.
    The interview consisted of four one hour conversations in a small break out room fifty feet from the front door. There was no tour of the office or facillities. Very little effort was made to convince me it might be a place I would enoy working. I received no follow up correspondence other than a system generated e-mail saying that I was no longer a candidate for the position. Everyone I dealt with seemed to be going through the motions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't particularly challenging. A lot of the usual behavioral stuff like tell me how you handle condflict or failure.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE Aviation in June 2013.

Worst interview ever! First, the directions to the parking area are wrong, referring to a lot that is not mentioned on the direction sign. Then after signing in at the guard gate, you meet with HR for two minutes to turn in paperwork, and are then sent to another gate for the interviews. (Couldn't HR meet you at the second gate?). Then the day starts with no introduction as to who you will meet and where they fit in the organization. The "real" HR interview was held by telephone -- and the phone number was wrong! Well, after blowing the most inane question I was ever asked, I was blackballed while in the telephone HR interview, so you can imagine the day went downhill from there. Finally, they didn't formally get back to me for four weeks!

Interview Questions
    • What advice would you offer to the managers setting up the operation?   View Answer

Program Integrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GE Aviation in April 2013.

Call by manager after resume submission, just to discuss the opening. At end of call it was classified as the "phone Interview". Contacted by HR for face to face interview that same week. Interview was with 3 co-workers and based on 8 questions each candidate would respond to. The idea is that you would be scored and tallied against other candidates who had the same questions. Questions were not specifically technical job related most had an HR feel. There was no HR rep present. I can appreciate their process but that is not my style. Kind of glad I did not get an offer, could have ended up regretting the environment overall.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE Aviation in March 2013.

Applied online, phone interview and finally in person/panel interview. Interviewers were kind and not over intimidating like a lot of panel interviews. Lots of personality questions and "how would you handle this situation" questions. The whole apply to hired process took a great while but not out of the ordinary for a large corporation.

Interview Questions
    • None that were unexpected or very difficult in particular.   Answer Question
    Quick and to the point.

ITLP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Aviation in December 2012.

Interviewed just over the phone. Questions were very basic, including my background, what programming languages I knew, and what I wanted to work on at GW.

Interview Questions

I had other more appealing offers. It was too corporate for me.