GE Capital Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.9

Collections Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GE Capital in June 2014.

By far the most drawn out interview and hiring process I've ever been put through. It took approximately three and a half months between completing my application to the time I finally received confirmation regarding the job, and after the company purposely wasted my time and money they didn't even have the decency of calling to inform me that they had chosen a different candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • They asked many questions, none of which were overly difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst, Risk Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Capital in May 2014.

I applied for this position on a whim and I was contacted a couple of weeks after I applied for the position. I first had an pre-interview phone discussion with an HR recruiter which was basically, "are you able to work in the USA?" and such questions. The next phone interview I had was with someone from the department that I would be working in. He started out by talking about the company and the position. Then he told me that he was going to ask me specific scenario questions and not to just give generic interview answers. I was unprepared for such questions and I knew that the interview was not going well. A couple weeks later I received a phone call from the HR recruiter that had originally interviewed me to let me know that I did not get the position, which was quite helpful and made me feel hopeful about other positions in the company. Overall, the interview was a positive experience for me because I had never interviewed with a Fortune 500 company before but now I feel more prepared to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were working in a group and one of the people in your group was wrong. How did you go about letting them know?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Positives: The application process is straightforward: submit resume at GE careers page and do an assessment. If you pass the assessment, you are invited to a phone interview. The phone interview was a review of my resume, a few questions, and a discussion of the position. I was invited to an on-site interview. I couldn't schedule this over the phone because all of the current time-slots for interviews were full. I was told to keep checking my email so I could schedule it later.

Red flag #1: I was told we had to arrive 15 minutes early in business casual and bring along all seven pages of the application I was about to fill out (signed), a print-out of a confirmation of my interview, and a picture ID. I was told that if I didn't fulfill every single thing perfectly or if I was even one minute late, I’d be turned away and would have to wait 6 months to reapply. Don't get me wrong-- job applicants should do all these things. But why does a company feel the need to make a rule explicitly stating it? Why all the micromanagement when you don’t even work there yet?

Red flag #2: when I went to schedule the on-site, the only options they gave me were either the next day (less than 12 hours’ notice) or the day after. There were no other options available. The instructions say that you are supposed to devote two hours to this interview, because it could take this long (not including the 15 minutes early arrival). I am still working at my current job and I have non-work responsibilities that are actually very important, yet I am expected to pretty much drop everything and devote a rather large chunk of time to an interview-- on virtually no notice? Every face-to-face interview I've ever had was schedule a week in advance (or at least 4-5 days), leaving me plenty of time to get prepared and to gather everything I needed. There is no reason that GE cannot do the same.

Red flag #3: I decided after all of this that GE wasn't the company for me. There is no option available for withdrawing your application at all, so I keep getting bombarded with emails (1-3 per day) to schedule my interview. This is super frustrating.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were relatively standard. Google "Most Common Interview Questions" and those are the type of questions you'll be asked.   Answer Question

I declined the offer to move on to the next process because after giving it some thought, I decided the company wasn't for me.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and was scheduled for a phone interview about a week and a half later. On the day of the interview, the interviewer called 25 minutes late. I think it was a busy day at the office because the interviewer appeared distracted. Interview lasted about 20 minutes with most of the interview focusing on the responsibilities of the intern. I was a little disappointed that I didn't have more time and that I didn't get to talk about my qualifications more. In the end, the interviewer asked if I had time for an interview the following week and mentioned that he would call me back, but I never heard back from him. For that reason I assume they have gone with someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Are we GE Capital or GE Capital Retail Bank?   View Answer

Java Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at GE Capital.

Not very tough

Collections Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Capital.

My interview was at a career fair on campus. There were two managers from different departments. Very laid back interview. I was asked a few questions about my abilities with excel, and a couple other basic behavioral questions. I had plenty of time to ask questions regarding training. I was asked to call and make an appointment for a follow up interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience level with excel? Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced?   Answer Question

Banking Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merriam, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merriam, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE Capital in March 2014.

If you apply online and make it through the never-ending testing, you will get an email telling you to expect a call or to call and make an appointment for an interview. Once in the room, I was double-teamed with one primary interviewer and one secondary. I was asked lots of psychological, personality discovery questions and prior experience questions. I thought things went well and I was very up front about what I had been doing for the past 20 years. They left me after about 40 minutes and went to speak with another person. I was alone for another 45 minutes or so, then was taken to another small office. The person there was a department manager, had my resume and the interview notes, then proceeded to offer me a letter of employment which I had to sign. I was taken by surprise. Normally, there are at least two or three levels of interviews before anyone makes up their mind about hiring. In the end, I had been offered a job in a different department, on a different shift, for a different rate of pay (one additional dollar per hour). After that, I had to wait for about three weeks before I began, but I received many email messages to make sure I had my drug test and signed up for benefits, and so on. I had great hope but in the end, it was not to be. The training was not sufficient for me to perform flawlessly during my first week on the phones.
    Looking back, I'm glad.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. Period.. ...at least at this level.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GE Capital in March 2014.

Applied online and first had a phone interview with an HR rep. Basic questions. Decided to pursue and the week after I had an in person interview. Met with 3 managers and they all were great. Basically went through my resume and asked basic questions. They explained a lot about the company and role itself.

Data Warehouse Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Capital.

After meeting with nine different people and having each tell me that they thought I was their leading selection with the exception of one woman, who clearly was not having a good day. I thought that I would at the very least receive some feedback for the nearly 7 hours I spent being interviewed.

Associate/Assistant Vice President Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Capital in February 2014.

Applied on the GE website. Got an email 2 weeks later from an HR person to set up a phone screen. GE uses a third-party to do their HR. The phone screen was pretty standard (i.e. give an example of how you led a team; salary requirements; why are you leaving your current job). I asked specific questions about the group and the role, but they didnt have the answer and told me to ask the hiring manager.

A week later got an email from the HR person saying the hiring manager wants me to come in for an in-person interview. Met with the hiring manager (MD), a VP, and AVP, then lunch with a VP and an associate for a total of 5 hours. Questions were standard, nothing too technical. Talk about your experience, why GE, what do you like/dislike about current role, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs. As I was wrapping up the interview before lunch, the VP indicated there would be a case study to submit within 48 hrs. After following up the next day, they said they would send it that night before the holiday weekend, but they never did. So followed up 1 last time after the weekend. Was hoping to at least showcase my analytical/modeling abilities, but never got the chance. Got a call back from the MD a week later saying I didn't get the offer and received some feedback. I respect that they actually called back and provided feedback on the interview.