GE Energy Management

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Met the HR rep at a career fair at my college. Handed them my resume, spoke with them for ten minutes or so, and then left. Afterwards I went in for an hour long interview where, unlike most software engineer internships, it was almost entirely a personality exam. I guess one can ascertain a lot about a person's intelligence / software skills through just a discussion, but I was certainly expecting more technical questions. After a brief runthrough of my resume, she asked me a series of questions involving my greatest challenges and fears, etc etc. A few days after the in-person interview, I received an email with the offer, including start dates and pay.

Interview Questions
    • What was your greatest challenge in the last year? How did you respond to said challenge, and how did it stimulate your personal growth?   Answer Question
    No negotiations, but considering its an internship I feel like that is pretty standard.

EEDP EID Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Applied online and also visited the booth they had on campus during our career fair. Within a week I got an email notifying me to setup an interview. The interview was straight forward and is a behavioral one. Things I was asked about were my ambitions, biggest accomplishments, and what my takes are on being a leader.

I definitely expected a follow up interview, but this was the only interview I got before getting an offer from them.

Operational Management Leadership Program (OMLP) Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

The process was fairly fast. They flew me to North Carolina where I had four interviews. All the interviews were behavioral. The interviews were with the OMLP supervisor, hiring manager, HR recruiter, and a current OMLP employee.

They asked about previous internships, leadership involvement at the university, involvement in organizations, etc. Some general questions like proudest achievement, tell me about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience you had in planning and organizing an event or an activity. Explain the approach you used, and what unique value did you bring to this approach.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management in October 2014.

I came to the interview through a career fair hosted by my university. GE had accepted me for an interview--- all I had sent them was my resume. My interviewer was very friendly and well-mannered. The interview itself was not technical in nature. I was only asked behavioral questions like "Tell me about a situation where you encountered an unexpected problem and how did you deal with it?" The whole interview was based on what I had written in my resume. My interviewer would just ask me to speak in more detail about what I did. I had a lot of experiences on my resume, so it everything went smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly unexpected or difficult. Be prepared to talk about team projects and team relationships; for example, describe a conflict you had with a partner and how did you work it out?   Answer Question

I was tempted, but the offer was only $24 an hour. Relocation benefits were minimal. Also, the acceptance website was very old and obsolete looking; it gave the impression of a company without competent management.

EID Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

I did an on campus interview. It was purely behavioral and I also talked about some past projects at school. It lasted about 45 minutes max. The recruiter spent a good amount of time telling me all about the Edison program. He was very friendly and I felt comfortable the entire time.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on salary, but was able to choose a location

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

3 rounds of interview. First round Hiring manager phone interview, panel interview and HR interview. General questions on software development process and history of background. Products are developed per business units requirement.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Contacted by Email, phone screen with recruiter a few days later. First technical phone interview a few weeks later, followed by two more. They were going to fly me out for an onsite interview but instead I had to drive to another site for a video conference interview, which was alot more relaxed than the other ones. During the video conference interview I spoke to 4 different people, 1 hr lady and 3 engineers. I was made an offer about 3 weeks later. No relocation, had to negotiate that as well. Whole process took over 3 months from the date of first contact.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly not too many technical questions....alot of "Tell me a time..."   Answer Question
    Ask, they'll say they can't but the usually can.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Energy Management in November 2013.

Phone interview. I was well prepared yet nervous, even though I practiced a lot the night before. A good 30 minute interview. Got the offer letter in a week, good overall experience.

Interview Questions
    • Practice a whole bunch of behavioral interviews and you'll be okay.   Answer Question

Sourcing Program Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management in May 2011.

Fairly informal. They asked about past experiences, but it wasn't the typical STAR format. More of a casual conversation in my experience. Discussed the needs and demands of the jobs and some of the questions I might have in regards to performing the position.

Interview Questions
    Offer letter, negotiate compensation, accept

Supplier Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GE Energy Management in April 2014.

Had three interview in total; HR, immediate manager and director of department.

HR interview questions were what you expected; school, experience, why you want to work, hours, address, ethics and etc.

Immediate manager questions were more direct; why you want to work here, "tell me your experience with this situation" or "what would you do when this happens?" or "give me an example in your experience how you display [insert attribute here]" but most important one was "how would you handle uncooperative environment. Prep work is key here. Along of course acronyms in related field. ask about how to best prepare for role!

Director of department was the hardest; basically told me to describe myself. then director talked about experiences and responsibilities of job title... then "I" was to ask him questions... he had no questions for me whatsoever, BE PREPARED. ask about the job, projects, environment, ISO, what previous students did right/wrong, what would be considered a successful term?

Interview Questions
    • hardest question; "when asked to describe a situation from previous work that display [insert attribute here] and how I went about resolving issue.
      unexpected question; Director: "so what questions do you have for me? ...

View Answer