GE Energy Management Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.7

SDLP Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

To be considered for these programs (EEDP and SDLP) it is best if you have prior internship experience with the company. GE is very culture focused and prefer candidates that have that "GE language". If you have done internships it is very easy to apply for theses programs. Initially you fill out a form to show your interest in the position, then after that you will be contacted for a phone interview. This is a basic phone interview, nothing technical yet but used to identify if you are a good candidate for that program or if they think you might be a better fir for another program. After passing that, I had a webex video conference with my future to be boss. This was also very self driven, I gave a 10minute presentation about myself, my accomplishments, and why I am a good fit for the program. Afterwards I was asked some very basic technical questions (some OOP questions, some basic networking concepts, really if you have taken any software or networking courses these questions will be a breeze). After passing that round I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember a question specifically, but none were really difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation

GE is going to be the hardest company to negotiate with. However, it I believe it is important to attempt it by using the right strategy. I was able to meet face to face with my boss and gave him my reasons as to why I think the salary could be higher. After a week he got back to me saying that my offered salary was already higher than what they normally offer candidates and that it won't be able to be higher. A month later, he sent me an email saying that my salary would go up by 2.5k due to HR research, but I'm sure it was because I showed that well presented initiative for a raise.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

Met the HR rep at a career fair at my college. Handed them my resume, spoke with them for ten minutes or so, and then left. Afterwards I went in for an hour long interview where, unlike most software engineer internships, it was almost entirely a personality exam. I guess one can ascertain a lot about a person's intelligence / software skills through just a discussion, but I was certainly expecting more technical questions. After a brief runthrough of my resume, she asked me a series of questions involving my greatest challenges and fears, etc etc. A few days after the in-person interview, I received an email with the offer, including start dates and pay.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest challenge in the last year? How did you respond to said challenge, and how did it stimulate your personal growth?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, but considering its an internship I feel like that is pretty standard.

EEDP EID Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

Applied online and also visited the booth they had on campus during our career fair. Within a week I got an email notifying me to setup an interview. The interview was straight forward and is a behavioral one. Things I was asked about were my ambitions, biggest accomplishments, and what my takes are on being a leader. I definitely expected a follow up interview, but this was the only interview I got before getting an offer from them.

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

The process was fairly fast. They flew me to North Carolina where I had four interviews. All the interviews were behavioral. The interviews were with the OMLP supervisor, hiring manager, HR recruiter, and a current OMLP employee. They asked about previous internships, leadership involvement at the university, involvement in organizations, etc. Some general questions like proudest achievement, tell me about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience you had in planning and organizing an event or an activity. Explain the approach you used, and what unique value did you bring to this approach.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

I came to the interview through a career fair hosted by my university. GE had accepted me for an interview--- all I had sent them was my resume. My interviewer was very friendly and well-mannered. The interview itself was not technical in nature. I was only asked behavioral questions like "Tell me about a situation where you encountered an unexpected problem and how did you deal with it?" The whole interview was based on what I had written in my resume. My interviewer would just ask me to speak in more detail about what I did. I had a lot of experiences on my resume, so it everything went smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly unexpected or difficult. Be prepared to talk about team projects and team relationships; for example, describe a conflict you had with a partner and how did you work it out?   Answer Question

I was tempted, but the offer was only $24 an hour. Relocation benefits were minimal. Also, the acceptance website was very old and obsolete looking; it gave the impression of a company without competent management.

EID Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

I did an on campus interview. It was purely behavioral and I also talked about some past projects at school. It lasted about 45 minutes max. The recruiter spent a good amount of time telling me all about the Edison program. He was very friendly and I felt comfortable the entire time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary, but was able to choose a location

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management (Melbourne, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by the HR representative, the hiring manager, and two Senior Software Engineers. HR and the hiring manager asked typical behavioral questions, (20-30 min. spent with each). No real technical questions from the engineers. They seemed satisfied if you knew the basics, and at least one engineer provided the answer to the technical question he asked. Technical interviews last approx. 20-30 minutes per technical interviewer (max of 4 interviews.)

Interview Questions

• Q: How long have you programmed in Java? Q: How do you feel about working with outdated technologies? Q: Describe a technical software challenge you faced and how you did/did not solve it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE Energy Management.

Interview

Contacted by Email, phone screen with recruiter a few days later. First technical phone interview a few weeks later, followed by two more. They were going to fly me out for an onsite interview but instead I had to drive to another site for a video conference interview, which was alot more relaxed than the other ones. During the video conference interview I spoke to 4 different people, 1 hr lady and 3 engineers. I was made an offer about 3 weeks later. No relocation, had to negotiate that as well. Whole process took over 3 months from the date of first contact.

Interview Questions

• Surprisingly not too many technical questions....alot of "Tell me a time..."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ask, they'll say they can't but the usually can.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Energy Management in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview. I was well prepared yet nervous, even though I practiced a lot the night before. A good 30 minute interview. Got the offer letter in a week, good overall experience.

Interview Questions

• Practice a whole bunch of behavioral interviews and you'll be okay.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Energy Management in May 2013.

Interview

First had a phone interview with a couple of different managers, and was invited to come on site for an interview. On site I met with the HR Manager, the hiring manager, and two of the team members to see how well I would fit as part of the team.

Interview Questions

• They discussed my background mostly and how it related to the position. Not a lot of technical questions.   Answer Question