GE Global Research

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Global Research in December 2014.

I am an international student. I was contacted by an HR person. He only asked me two questions: 1) Do you need sponsorship? 2) Are you from one of the following countries: Cuba, North Korea, Libya, Iran and a bunch of others. My answer to both questions was yes. He then said it is GE policy not to sponsor applicants from those countries and hence he cannot further process my application.

Interview Questions
    • Do you need sponsorship? Are you from one of the following countries? Cuba, North Korea, Libya, Iran and a bunch of others.   View Answer

Computer Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Global Research.

Had a phone interview and asked questions related to my computational experience and phd research project.

Interview Questions
    • How efficient are you when it comes to developing models? what's most challenging task you have seen so far   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Global Research in February 2014.

Overall interview process went extremely quickly, as they had urgent need for several positions. I submitted my resume through their career website and received a response requesting an interview within 24 hours. Total time from submission until offer was less than two weeks.

Interviews happened in three stages: a non-technical initial phone screen by HR, a technical phone interview by the hiring manager, and then an on-site interview. Technical phone interview lasted approximately three hours, and covered a large variety of topics. Questions ranged from Taylor series to Bayesian statistics to computational complexity theory, plus general assessment of my background and expertise. Onsite interview included one-hour technical seminar presenting my past work, additional technical questions, and meeting with the team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about determining if a coin was fair?   Answer Question
    I asked for more than I expected, and got what I asked for.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online – interviewed at GE Global Research in August 2013.

The interview process has been smooth so far. There was first a phone interview followed up by an onsite interview. The ability to compensate for interview travels is a plus. The company seems process driven which is good because you know what you getting into....

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE Global Research.

Interview process was long and consisted of a phone screening followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a 1.5 hour technical talk along with half a dozen 30 minute interviews and took from 730am to 330pm. It was a long day where I was asked a lot of questions but it was handled well and very professionally. I was offered a job the next morning so the response time was very quick.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be happy not working on your area of expertise.   View Answer

Salary was too low, did not justify leaving current position. GRC's salaries are not on par with other top-notch research institutions such as the National Labs or space or oil-sector research groups. Albany has a reasonable cost of living which makes up some for that.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GE Global Research in August 2012.

Usually works through referrals. I knew somebody working there who forwarded my resume. One phone call by the hiring manager. One technical phone interview. Then on site. Day started with one hour technical interview. Discussion type questions trying to check if you know your stuff. Not brain cracking puzzles. Then give a presentation on your previous work and projects. Here they test you throughly and you do get a handful of questions in a room full of 10-12 people. If you know your stuff, you would generally be okay. Then meet with manger and discuss the position in detail. Then meet with manager's manager. If these are technically strong they might test you thoroughly. Mine did. Then meet with 4-5 researchers for half and hour each. Then two one hour long behavioral interviews trying to see if you fit in the culture. Then meet with the immediate group you would be working with. Then hr interview. And then gone. Usually get back to you in a week. Mine did in less than a day. It's a good streamline process they have.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions. And why you want to work for the company types questions.   View Answer
    Not much. When hr ask for salary, give a high requirement. Then easier to negotiate. They don't give any other perks to high salary is crucial.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Global Research in July 2012.

I was contacted via email for a position to which I had not applied, but they had my resume on file from a previous application. First I was screened via a phone interview, during which the supervisor explained the position and asked me about my career and extracurricular interests, and the classes that I had taken - nothing technical. I was asked to come interview on-site at the research center campus in Niskayuna, NY. I had to bring photo-identification to get through security. I was interviewed by my direct supervisor and his leading subordinate (who was very kind, but clearly there because he was asked and not because I was interested in the interview process). The supervisor was very enthusiastic, interested and asked several behavioral questions. He asked me to give an example for times that I demonstrated some key skills, like resourcefulness/innovation. He asked about how I thought my background aligned with the position. The interview process took about 1-1.5 hours and was very smooth, relaxed, and almost fun. No technical questions were asked, but the EHS intern job wasn't a very technical job. From what I saw at GE-GRC, GE has a lot of great managers (knowledgeable, practical, empathetic, organizational savvy) that make the interviewing process as least-painful as they can.

Interview Questions
    • He asked to give examples of times I showed certain skills, like resourcefulness, approach to problem solving/critical thinking. He asked about a conflict within an organization or team and the end result.   View Answer
    Maybe because I was a sophomore in college, but I didn't even think to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Global Research in June 2012.

1. Phone interview with hiring manager
    2. Phone interview with technical committee
    3. 1-Day on-site interview
    3.1 Presentation
    3.2 Technical interview with technical committee
    3.3 Interview with HR
    3.4 Several 1:1 interviews with managers
    Interview process is well organized and quickly processed. People are kind. The work environment seems good. But a full-day interview is obviously very tough.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Global Research in January 2012.

Two phone interviews, then an on-site. The on-site interview asked tons of behavior questions. Please be prepared for those questions. The technical questions are few.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Global Research in December 2011.

There were two phone interviews and then an onsite interview. The procedure was fast and I got to hear back from the hiring manager very promptly after the interviews. There were a lot of technical questions in both the phone interviews. They seem to be very thorough about checking the technical background of the candidate. The onsite interview consisted of technical presentation, technical interview, panel interview and a number of 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most significant contribution of your previous research?   Answer Question