GE Global Research

39 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Computer Scientist Interview

Computer Scientist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and asked questions related to my computational experience and phd research project.

Interview Question – How efficient are you when it comes to developing models? what's most challenging task you have seen so far   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Statistician
Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research in August 2012.

Interview Details – Usually works through referrals. I knew somebody working there who forwarded my resume. One phone call by the hiring manager. One technical phone interview. Then on site. Day started with one hour technical interview. Discussion type questions trying to check if you know your stuff. Not brain cracking puzzles. Then give a presentation on your previous work and projects. Here they test you throughly and you do get a handful of questions in a room full of 10-12 people. If you know your stuff, you would generally be okay. Then meet with manger and discuss the position in detail. Then meet with manager's manager. If these are technically strong they might test you thoroughly. Mine did. Then meet with 4-5 researchers for half and hour each. Then two one hour long behavioral interviews trying to see if you fit in the culture. Then meet with the immediate group you would be working with. Then hr interview. And then gone. Usually get back to you in a week. Mine did in less than a day. It's a good streamline process they have.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions. And why you want to work for the company types questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much. When hr ask for salary, give a high requirement. Then easier to negotiate. They don't give any other perks to high salary is crucial.

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research in November 2010.

Interview Details – one day, technical plus non-technical sessions with seminar

Interview Question – none found to difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i did not negotiate, took offer

Intern Interview

Intern
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email for a position to which I had not applied, but they had my resume on file from a previous application. First I was screened via a phone interview, during which the supervisor explained the position and asked me about my career and extracurricular interests, and the classes that I had taken - nothing technical. I was asked to come interview on-site at the research center campus in Niskayuna, NY. I had to bring photo-identification to get through security. I was interviewed by my direct supervisor and his leading subordinate (who was very kind, but clearly there because he was asked and not because I was interested in the interview process). The supervisor was very enthusiastic, interested and asked several behavioral questions. He asked me to give an example for times that I demonstrated some key skills, like resourcefulness/innovation. He asked about how I thought my background aligned with the position. The interview process took about 1-1.5 hours and was very smooth, relaxed, and almost fun. No technical questions were asked, but the EHS intern job wasn't a very technical job. From what I saw at GE-GRC, GE has a lot of great managers (knowledgeable, practical, empathetic, organizational savvy) that make the interviewing process as least-painful as they can.

Interview Question – He asked to give examples of times I showed certain skills, like resourcefulness, approach to problem solving/critical thinking. He asked about a conflict within an organization or team and the end result.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Maybe because I was a sophomore in college, but I didn't even think to negotiate.

Lead Scientist Interview

Lead Scientist
Schenectady, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GE Global Research in March 2011.

Interview Details – phone screen, on site and got the offer 2 days later in fedex

Interview Question – most of them are research topic specific, to me it was not difficult.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Communications
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online - interviewed at GE Global Research in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process has been smooth so far. There was first a phone interview followed up by an onsite interview. The ability to compensate for interview travels is a plus. The company seems process driven which is good because you know what you getting into....

Control Engineer Interview

Control Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at GE Global Research in April 2010.

Interview Details – Got an phone interview after applying online, which lasted about 1 hour. The on-site interview was mostly friendly. But they did not have a manager for the group I was interviewed at that time. I think that could be the reason I did not get the offer.

Interview Question – They asked what was the biggest failure or sth like that. I always think we learn from mistakes so no failures, and I told this to them.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GE Global Research.

Interview Details – Interview process was long and consisted of a phone screening followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a 1.5 hour technical talk along with half a dozen 30 minute interviews and took from 730am to 330pm. It was a long day where I was asked a lot of questions but it was handled well and very professionally. I was offered a job the next morning so the response time was very quick.

Interview Question – Would you be happy not working on your area of expertise.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low, did not justify leaving current position. GRC's salaries are not on par with other top-notch research institutions such as the National Labs or space or oil-sector research groups. Albany has a reasonable cost of living which makes up some for that.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research in April 2010.

Interview Details – First submit resume online. Then the hiring manager will screen the hundreds of resumes and select a few for phone screening. After the phone screening, 2-3 candidates will be invited onsite for a one-day interview, including a technical presentation, technical panel interview, non-technical panel interview, HR interview, and tour of the labs.

Interview Question – Be prepared for textbook questions and also get a sense of the big picture in your field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not much you can negotiate. It's pretty standard package.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Niskayuna, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GE Global Research in June 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview with hiring manager
2. Phone interview with technical committee
3. 1-Day on-site interview
3.1 Presentation
3.2 Technical interview with technical committee
3.3 Interview with HR
3.4 Several 1:1 interviews with managers
Interview process is well organized and quickly processed. People are kind. The work environment seems good. But a full-day interview is obviously very tough.

Interview Questions

Worked for GE Global Research? Contribute to the Community!