GE Healthcare Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Barrington, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Barrington, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

apply through the company website, then got an email from HR to have a screening. After another week, I got a phone call from hiring manager. During the phone conversation, everything looked fine, and the HM told me that he was interested in me, but never got feedback from them.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for GE Healthcare

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Waukesha, WI) in September 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview with principal engineer to get idea of interest and experience (lasted about 30 minutes). Follow up on-site interview scheduled within 2 weeks of phone interview. 4 hour on-site interview done in multiple sessions with hiring manager, program manager, and other engineers from project. Interview consisted of behavioral questions as well as technical expertise with focus on though process. Offer came in within 1 week of on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Abstract logic problem that encouraged working out verbally the problem in front of 3 managers in order to understand my thought process and how I go about solving a problem. The actual question was about light bulbs and a pattern for turning them on and off which resulted in an answer revolving around factoring numbers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer up front was more than I asked for and included relocation bonus. After initial verbal acceptance, a formal written offer came in that increased the salary by another 7%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

2 Vendor + 1 Client interview. experience, general c++ and agile principles, difficult time, greatest challenge. Though we know the good practices, usage and syntax of things, its better to read definitions and "we never use this or need to remember this rule in c++ and this thing in c++ is only for interview" kind of things just to be able to quickly tell without taking time to interviewer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

That was the first thing they asked. There was no problem with the rate. we are both were looking at same rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrington, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Barrington, IL).

Interview

Two phone interviews and one on-site interview. The phone interviews consist of your background and skill set, as well as theory questions on how you would approach and solve basic coding or system challenges. They also ask you behavioral questions situations you've experienced and how you handled them. The on-site interview is essentially the two phone interviews merged together. They may throw a white-board coding challenge your way but not always.

Interview Questions

• If you tell the interviewer your weakness (i.e. databases) they almost always ask you about them in detail. It's a GE ego thing. It's hard to say what questions you'll be asked during an interview because the interviewer training isn't well put together.   1 Answer

Negotiation

A verbal offer on the phone, make sure you negotiate this, otherwise they expect you are satisfied. You can still negotiate once you receive the email offer, but its best to just do it on the phone. You can almost always get a bit more than the original offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Stanford, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Met at Stanford career fair. They collected resumes for a screening process with a single, non-technical interview. They asked me about a leadership experience, a little about myself, and a project that I had worked on. The interviewer told me a bit about the work the teams do at GE, which included their software engineering development process and how the teams use the Agile method

Interview Questions

• They asked me where my preferred location would be out of Plano TX, Seattle WA, or Barrington IL. Didn't expect that.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murray, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Murray, UT) in December 2011.

Interview

Interview process consists of multiple steps: Phone Screening; 1:1; group panel; Interview with Multiple teams; HR interview; Coding on Board. Overall a good process. Great experience. Not much room for compensation negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Software Engineering, Programming Language, Data Bases   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE Healthcare in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with Recruiter, then Phone interview a Senior Software Engineer. In Person interview with LSD, architect and the hiring manager. The ambiance are very motivating among this group of highly talented professionals. Offer made 2 months later - which is sort of slow.

Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Waukesha, WI) in April 2011.

Interview

First the HR manager called and asked few basic stuff. Then there was an initial technical phone interview which consisted of questions based on my resume and previous projects, there were few questions on basics of object oriented programming(polymorphism, objects, constructors). Got a call for onsite. Initial technical round, more of behavioral and technical questions on some hardware, stacks lasted for 45 mins. The person was really cool and I really enjoyed being interview by this guy. another technical round with the guy who actually did the phone interview, He was cool and had some basic OOP based questions. This person was cool and it lasted for 30 mins. At this point I really wanted to work there and be part of the group as the two people who interviewed me were really cool and were actually working there for over 15 years. Then there was another round with two people. One of them was the Manager of the group. the questions were 1. where do you see yourself in 5 years. what programming languages are you comfortable with. why are you leaving your current job. Tell me one wrong decision you took and what was its impact etc. They offered me the job same day and based on my interview experience I almost decided to join the group.

Interview Questions

• when do you use a virtual destructor   1 Answer

They were offering less than what I presently make.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Waukesha, WI) in April 2009.

Interview

First contacted by the HR manager for an intial phone screen to discuss background, interests, why you want to work for their company. The next step was to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager. This was a similar call to discuss a high level overview of the company, engineering team structure and the position. The final round was an onsite with the hiring manager and 2 members of the engineering team. The hiring manager was a brief introduction. The 2 members interviewed separately and got into more technical questions about computer science concepts (data structures, databases, etc) and also asked to do a few pseudo code walkthroughs on the whiteboard to explain how you would construct a Batteship game.

Interview Questions

• For an entry level position, you can expect the usual questions about your course work and topics technical topics covered within your major.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation. I felt for an entry level position, the compensation and benefits were the best I was going to get out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrington, IL

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GE Healthcare (Barrington, IL) in November 2008.

Interview

2 panel groups, one consisting of leadership evaluation and another consisting of technical evaluation. Each panel questioned for about 1 hour different questions on past experiences and hypothetical technical situations. The leadership evaluation asked questions specifically targeted towards GE's famous 'growth values'. 1. External Focus: “Defines success through the customer's eyes. In tune with industry dynamic. Sees around corners.” FA translation: Know how your clients truly define a successful financial advisor relationship. “Seeing around corners” requires that you interpret industry events in a way that will help you predict future developments. 2. Clear Thinking: “Seeks simple solutions to complex problems. Is decisive and focused. Communicates clear and consistent priorities.” FA translation: Understand your affluent client's concerns and problems and provide clear, easy-to-understand solutions. All of your marketing efforts should focus on acquiring the ideal client. Make sure your clients know they are your “number one.” 3. Imagination: “Generates new and creative ideas. Is resourceful and open to change. Takes risks on both people and ideas. Displays courage and tenacity.” FA translation: You need to think of new ways to create tangible value for clients. That may mean developing a new service model. Look at what your competitors are doing and take it one step further. Look for solutions that are outside your comfort zone. 4. Inclusiveness: “Is a team player. Respects others' ideas and contributions. Creates excitement, drives engagement, builds loyalty and commitment.” FA translation: Treat everyone you work with as a knowledge worker. Use their expertise. For example, even if you share an assistant with another advisor, you must consider this person a part of your team. Their ideas and contributions should be encouraged and ultimately required. Communication with support personnel and junior advisors must be clear and ongoing. Delegate responsibilities, not just tasks, and take the time to teach subordinates new things and build their expertise whenever possible. 5. Expertise: “Has in-depth domain knowledge and credibility built on experience. Continuously develops self. Loves learning.” FA translation: Developing a deeper understanding of demographics, industry changes, political developments, consumer trends, and current affluent needs and wants will give you greater credibility with your clients and subordinates. Cultivating greater knowledge of yourself and engaging in physical exercise are also crucial to your ability to overcome future challenges. Commit to lifelong learning.

Interview Questions

• You have one gold bar that you need to pay a carpenter for an upcoming job. He will work seven days for you, and you must pay him one seventh (1/7) of your gold bar at the end of each day. What is the fewest number of cuts you can make to achieve this?   2 Answers

Negotiation

NON-NEGOTIABLE AT ALL