GE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Commercial Leadership Program Interview

Commercial Leadership Program

Interviewed at GE

Interview Details – The interview took place at a GE facility with interviews from current participants, HR, and the program manager. Each interviewer had various behavioral interview questions. The evening before the interview there was a social function with current program members and the program manager.

Interview Question – The interview questions were all based on the top 20 behavioral questions. So nothing was out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Edison Engineering Development Program Interview

Edison Engineering Development Program
Greenville, SC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at GE in July 2014.

Interview Details – For this program they mostly hire only interns anymore. They interview us during the summer before school starts of our last year. It usually changes up every year but this year, we had a 5 minute presentation on a project we have done. Then had two half hour interviews one for HR and a technical interview.

Interview Question – Asked interested technical questions about projects that I have done in the past   View Answer

General Interview Interview

General Interview

Interviewed at GE

Interview Details – Phone call screen with one employee, met a few of the employees at an external hiring conference, brought in for GE hiring conference with about 20 other people, they didn't really ask many questions, mostly conversation and what I wanted to talk about, not a difficult interview

Interview Question – What charities are you involved in   Answer Question

Engineer/Technologist Interview

Engineer/Technologist

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GE in October 2010.

Interview Details – JobFair to Telephonic to Onsite and done deal. It was nice that they paid for everything for flight from houston tx to albany ny and stay in hamptons inn . great company to work for who spend so much even before the offer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at GE

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite Phone interview followed by onsite

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was offered 3 weeks PTO, got it up to 4 weeks

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GE.

Interview Details – Got in contact with a GE recruiter through an on-campus career fair. I spoke with the recruiter about the work I had done, basically pitched him my experience and projects. The recruiter mentioned that he had an opening that matched my experience, and he scheduled me for interview.

The 2-part interview process consisted of an in-person behavioral interview followed by a technical screen over the phone by an engineer on the team I would be working with. Both took around 90 minutes.

The behavioral interview was actually a pretty nice experience. The person interviewing me didn't go for the 'standard' HR questions and instead we just talked for awhile about relevant coursework and personal projects. He did open a few times with "tell me about a project in which ....blah blah", but it progressed naturally into an open dialogue. Following this phase, I was scheduled for a technical screen.

I was contacted by a GE engineer, and we set up a time which worked for both of us. For the next hour and a half I was grilled on the full spectrum of computer systems and software. The questions were generally more on the conceptual side, ranged in scope from straightforward to fairly in-depth. The interviewer did mention that he was asking questions intended for a full-time hire, and not to sweat out any incorrect answers. Below are a few questions I was asked:

1. Explain the Linux driver model, and how you would go about developing your own.
2. Walk me through the process of modifying an interrupt service routine in the Windows kernel.
3. Walk me through the general prologue and epilogue of a generic interrupt service routine.
4. What keyword in C would you use to indicate a variable will be modified outside of the local scope?
5. Let's say we have Host A and Host B on a LAN, both without established ARP entries. What happens when Host A pings Host B? (Wanted details on ARP discovery, IP address resolution, pertinent Wireshark commands, etc)
6. What is the stack used for, versus the heap?
7. What is realtime computing?
8. Tell me everything you know about process schedulers. (I hadn't touched scheduling in depth, so I talked about linux CPU governors and he seemed happy with that)

Following the technical screening (I'd say I got around 85% of his questions right), they presented an offer letter.

Interview Question – What is a stack overflow? (This question wasn't surprising) Can you tell me about the overflow vulnerability inherent in the printf() function? (Hello question outta left field!)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hah negotiation as an intern. But in seriousness the offer was pretty solid.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE in July 2014.

Interview Details – Uses outside/contract recruiters, then once past that interviews are coordinated via HR person. Very well organized and transparent process. Hiring manager was open to dialog and spent quite a bit of time explaining his particular focus points and objectives.

Interview Question – Why would GE want to hire you?   Answer Question

Marketing Leader Interview

Marketing Leader

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at GE.

Interview Details – Interview questions are based on experience for how you can perform the job and behavioral questions for your personality and fit with the company. GE is great at helping candidates decide if they would be a good fit for the company and if the company is a good fit for this person.

Interview Question – What books have you read lately?   View Answers (2)

Project Manager - IT Security Interview

Project Manager - IT Security

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE.

Interview Details – Very long and drawn out with a series of phone interviews and a final day of interviewing with multiple managers. The whole process took about a month and was very repetitive and mundane, which contributed to my lack of excitement towards the job at the end. The phone interviews, with different people, often asked me the exact same behavioral and situation-based questions so it was clear the interviewers were not communicating together. Some of the questions were challenging if you had limited experience with an exact or similar situation, but they were generally easy to walk through and they are just looking for your analytical and social thought process. Ultimately, I did not feel the values and personality traits of the team I interviewed with aligned well, as they are looking for a specific mold and expect you to emulate that, however I have a feeling this varies by the specific team and/or manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation where you were consulting on a project and you had to tell the client/customer that their intended direction was not correct or effective and how you convinced them to go with your desired solution/ideas instead.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed at GE in May 2014.

Interview Details – They had a 3 part interview process. The first one with HR which is basic questions you will get everywhere. The technical interview consisted of mostly high level questions, not very specific. Also I will say it was centered around experiences more than random technical questions. The last is an on site interview confirming your fit with the company as well as a teaching session to determine your proficiency in conveying your technical knowledge to others.

Interview Question – They asked a couple question which seemed very specific to their system.   Answer Question

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!