GE Lead Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE (San Ramon, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The HR contacted me and set up an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager called on time. I felt he had some preconceived notion about me and my experience. There was minimal exchange of greetings and he was straight to the point about what/who he wanted for the position. Inquired about my experience but kept going back to the idea of who he wanted. Was not really keen on the pay scale either. Discounted my experience citing some vague reason. Frequently kept telling me that he was not so sure how I will fit into the position. To round it off, he offered me a salary that was laughable to say the least. I just said, "no".

Interview Questions

• We did not get to the technical round. The hiring manager was not too keen on even accepting me as a viable fit to the position although I had the relevant experience necessary as per the HR recruiter.   Answer Question

Did not like the hiring manager's disposition and mannerisms. If this is the situation in the preliminary conversation, I can hardly assume what's it going to be like working under him (that, too, at a lower salary than I had expected).

I think I will look for other opportunities where at the least, people are courteous and in general have a bright outlook.

Other Interview Reviews for GE

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GE.

Interview

I thought the interview process was very professional. It started with a "screen" interview with the GE recruiter, followed by an interview with the hiring manager, followed by a group technical interview, followed by an onsite panel interview.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There was a written test followed by phone and then face to face interview. It was a great analytical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at GE (San Ramon, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Didn't get a phone interview but got selected for a 1 day(5 hour interview). We all sat in a room around laptops and given problems and asked to develop them in the Eclipse/Java environment. They had people who had no Eclipse experience and No java experience in the so I don't know how they got in the room in the first place. The manager said solve the best way you know how and language shouldn't be too difficult even if you don't know java. After the 4 problems that was giving to me - I accomplished the 3 easiest. And then we went to group solving in which case I got partnered w/ someone who barely spoke english. We did a first round completion of group problem to find out the Instructor(manager) said there were little caveats that we didn't think though and wasn't really solveable during the class.

After that was a basic HR interview - behavioral questions such as when did resolve conflict..etc..

Interview Questions

• No real questions with responses required.. it was hands on exercise with team component to see how you work with random person   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate because I went high balled upon going in and got what I wanted.. although they did hint at bonuses for people in Lead Professional Career Band

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GE (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

After 6 years of posting for open jobs, a recruiter called me and she sounded energetic and positive.. The interview was easy going, show up and feel comfortable. Decision was supposed to be made in 2 weeks but it took 4 months to make salary offer bring me on board.

Interview Questions

• Do you really want a job here? Only the hiring manager was in the office for the interview. One lead was called on the phone and another went home to take care of child. Dept head never showed up.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as the salary was reasonable. Others were able to negotiate for another week vacation but it did them little good as company announced additional weeks vacation for all new hires a month later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at GE (Atlanta, GA) in December 2009.

Interview

Beaurocratic. They made a verbal offer and then it took weeks to get the offer letter to me. Should have been a sign of things to come.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but knowing what I know now I would have asked for more money given the stress that this job has caused.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

good... and specially groomed leader takes interview & they are technically sound...

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there is no negotiation as offer seems ok with industry standard

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE (Warsaw (Poland)) in March 2013.

Interview

Two parts, 1st with HR representative (less important) and 2nd with Technical guys including test about programming. Technical part was not so hard, questions were concentrated about embedded solutions but they also describe what are they doing.