GE Power & Water Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.6

ITLP Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Power & Water.

Met a recruiter at career fair event. Got an email within two weeks to set up first phone interview with HR personal. No technical question, strictly behavioral questions. After a month or so I got another email to set up phone interview with ITLP manager. Questions were mostly about leadership skills and my projects

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain system programming to your grand mother?   Answer Question

Lead Combustion Engineer, Aerothermal Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at GE Power & Water.

Applied online. Heard back from company in a few days. Setup time for phone interview. No surprise calls. 30 minute phone interview. Hiring manager was very nice. Got good feedback about interview after decision was made.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to lift morale in a team setting.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to diagnose a situation and had to use your technical abilities outside of an academic setting.   Answer Question

Associate Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at GE Power & Water in February 2015.

Talked to hiring manager at college recruiting event and scheduled an interview for the position the following day. Interview consisted of 2 hire managers asking questions on and off, fairly typical interview. Bit of a good cop bad cop vibe.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in a dark room with 50 pairs of socks, half black and half white, how many socks do you need to grab to guarantee a matching pair?   View Answer

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clemson, SC
    Anonymous Employee in Clemson, SC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water in February 2015.

Found the job and obtained an interview on Clemson Joblink postings. Received an email with a scheduled interview time and I showed up ready to go. Was not a bad experience. Very nice and knowledgeable people.

Interview Questions
    • "Walk me through your resume..."

"What is one thing you are proud of?"

"Tell me about a time you experienced difficulty and how you dealt with it"

Other assorted standard interview questions...

Answer Question

EID Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Contacted for phone interview and took place the same week. Call lasted about 15 minutes. Simple questions like why GE?, strengths, and weaknesses. I received an offer the next day with GE Power and Water under the Edison program for leadership.

Interview Questions
    Given one week to accept the offer. no negotiation

Process Quality Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Long hiring process with months between steps. I was first contacted for a phone interview with the hiring manager a month after I applied to the position. It was a 30 minute interview with basic questions about my past experience, why I wanted the job, and information about the position. Right off the bat I wasn't so interested because the hiring manager was across the country from where I'd be working. I then didn't hear back until 2 months later from a corporate recruiter also across the country who wanted to talk for a second phone interview and if that went well then an in person interview. I declined because by this time I had accepted another offer with a company with a timely process. I understand they are a large company but I feel they can easily lose a lot of talent with their unorganized and slow process. I definitely wouldn't omit them for a job in the future, I just couldn't wait around on them when I had another amazing offer waiting.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy and expected. No situational questions.   Answer Question

Thermaldynamics Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water in December 2014.

I had two phone interviews in one week. Pretty regular, I was asked questions in reference to my resume and CV. Behavioral question as "name a time when you address an issue among a team"

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to work with us for 5+ years?   View Answer

Student Exchange Engineering Development (SEED) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water in December 2014.

Interviewed with 4 people. I was originally scheduled for 3 people, but got one added during the actual on site. The first manager was the founder of this program, she asked me some basic questions like what's your career goals, why interested etc. then she helped me prepare for the rest of interviews. The other 3 interviewers are on the technical side, and they asked me questions based on my resume and experiences. One of the technical person actually spoke more about the position than ask me questions. Overall, there is few behavioral based question

Interview Questions
    • This program requires at least two working periods, so what's your tentative schedule?   Answer Question
    You know what, i still didn't get a offer till now, but since the above question was required, i had to select one.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Interview was simple due to previous experience. 1 Lunch interview with the manager and then follow up phone interview with the Regional Manager.
    Hiring - not so simple. Due to "potential" non-compete issues (of which there were none), they required that I notify current employer of my desire to leave so they could clear the non-compete. All before an offer letter. Due to my desire to leave, I was ok with it, but it put me in a very precarious situation.

Interview Questions
    • It was really just a conversation and not something that was difficult.   Answer Question
    None.

Summer 2015 Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Power & Water.

I applied to GE Power and Water through my school's career fair. The entire process from beginning to end only took about three weeks. I had given them one of my resumes and soon short after i was told to apply through both my schools career services program as well as GE's online applications. The interview was easy as it was purely behavioral based. Two days after my interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were working with someone who refused to do their job, what did you do?   Answer Question