GE Power & Water

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.5

Process Quality Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Long hiring process with months between steps. I was first contacted for a phone interview with the hiring manager a month after I applied to the position. It was a 30 minute interview with basic questions about my past experience, why I wanted the job, and information about the position. Right off the bat I wasn't so interested because the hiring manager was across the country from where I'd be working. I then didn't hear back until 2 months later from a corporate recruiter also across the country who wanted to talk for a second phone interview and if that went well then an in person interview. I declined because by this time I had accepted another offer with a company with a timely process. I understand they are a large company but I feel they can easily lose a lot of talent with their unorganized and slow process. I definitely wouldn't omit them for a job in the future, I just couldn't wait around on them when I had another amazing offer waiting.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were easy and expected. No situational questions.   Answer Question

Thermaldynamics Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water in December 2014.

I had two phone interviews in one week. Pretty regular, I was asked questions in reference to my resume and CV. Behavioral question as "name a time when you address an issue among a team"

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to work with us for 5+ years?   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Interview was simple due to previous experience. 1 Lunch interview with the manager and then follow up phone interview with the Regional Manager.
    Hiring - not so simple. Due to "potential" non-compete issues (of which there were none), they required that I notify current employer of my desire to leave so they could clear the non-compete. All before an offer letter. Due to my desire to leave, I was ok with it, but it put me in a very precarious situation.

Interview Questions
    • It was really just a conversation and not something that was difficult.   Answer Question
    None.

Summer 2015 Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GE Power & Water.

I applied to GE Power and Water through my school's career fair. The entire process from beginning to end only took about three weeks. I had given them one of my resumes and soon short after i was told to apply through both my schools career services program as well as GE's online applications. The interview was easy as it was purely behavioral based. Two days after my interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were working with someone who refused to do their job, what did you do?   Answer Question

Field Service Engineer CT/NY/NJ GE Analytical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danbury, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danbury, CT

I applied online – interviewed at GE Power & Water in October 2014.

Filed application with GE on-line. Manager e-mailed me, asking when he could conduct a phone interview. I asked him to notify me when he wants to do it, so I'll be ready. 8PM that night, he calls me out of the blue to phone interview me, without asking if it was a good time. Strike 1.

Scheduled an interview 3 weeks later, at a hotel in Danbury, CT. Made me wait in the lobby for 15
    minutes, without trying to contact me. Hotel tried calling his room 3 times, no answer. Interview went fairly well, cut short because of their ineptness in getting the interview started. Strike 2.

Regional Manager gave me his word that he's contact me the following week by phone with an answer either way. Received form e-mail from GE on Monday morning saying I was not being considered for the position. No call from the manager, despite his word. Strike 3.

Per GE policy, I filed an expense report submitting the 110 mile round-trip car mileage. Regional
    Manager sent me an e-mail back not believing stated mileage, and said he's on;y authorize reimbursement of $5.60, and then only if he verified mileage on Google. Nowhere in this e-mail
    did he keep his word and notify that I wasn't a candidate any more. Wow. Double Wow.

Hard for me to believe that a company as prominent as GE does these things. Sad, really.

Mobile Field Service TEchnician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GE Power & Water in October 2014.

I submitted my resume online. I was contacted via email and informed there were two open positions they are hiring for. They requested I speak with another manager and himself on a conference call. After the initial phone interview, I followed up with a phone call and email thanking them for their interest and asking them to call me with the next step. The invited me to lunch and I met with three representatives. Good time.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if there was a potential situation that required safety gear and there was no PPE gear on site?   View Answer

Edison Engineering Development Program Interview

After working as a co-op, I qualified to apply to the program. Submitting the online application, I was contacted via email to set up a video interview with the HR Rep. After getting past that interview, the next was a technical phone interview with one of the technical program heads.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was to describe F=ma to someone who never studied physics or has a technical background.   View Answer

IT Project Manager - Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water in August 2014.

1. Phone Interview with co-worker by phone, 2. Phone Interview with second co-worker (2 weeks later), 3. Phone Interview with HR (1 week later) and at this point found out the hiring manager position was vacant

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience map to manufacturing?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GE Power & Water.

Initial phone interview, standard interview questions, tour of facility, met with other employees, discussion with HR. Follow-up with one-on-one discussion with hiring manager two days later and meeting with team.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All standard questions on experience.   Answer Question

Commercial Finance Manager Interview

I moved internally the company. 2 internal interviews, one with HR and one with Management. Interviews via video conference.