GE Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.4

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by two rounds of teleconference interviews. Most questions were related to work experience, skills possessed and future career aspirations. Other questions were behavior based, situation based and personality based.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for GE

Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GE (Waukesha, WI) in June 2011.

Interview

Interview process started with a telephone interview with an HR manager to discuss employment history and performance, goals, career drivers etc. Then the company flew me out to Wisconsin to do 6 separate one hour interviews with other HR managers and business leaders. Everybody was very professional and helpful, overall an impressive organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE (Erie, PA) in April 2010.

Interview

Typical phone interviews first with multiple people. Then after one month, a face to face interview with the same team which included management and technical people. The interviews were easy and the questions were targeted towards prior experience. In addition, an employee at GE has two different managers, the HR manager and the business unit manager and both have to be considered.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any hard questions or extremely intelligent questions that one would have to think hard before answering. The majority of the interviewers were more concerned with the candidates ability to fit within the complex and archaic culture.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. The HR manager made an offer and it was a take it or leave it attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE (Atlanta, GA) in July 2009.

Interview

HR Manager called to setup the interview with the hiring manager a day after I submitted my application. Hiring Manager asked standard questions- Resume walk, key projects, why GE etc". It was very conversational. However, I did not hear back until two weeks. Was called on-site for 1:1 interviews and a panel interview. Standard questions again around difficult situations colleagues, matrixed org etc. I was made an offer after 3months.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses and what would you do if you disagree with your managers suggestions to improve?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GE (Atlanta, GA) in June 2009.

Interview

The interview was rushed and disorganized. I didn't have time to ask many questions and felt in some ways like they knew I could do the job and were just happy to fill the seat. They appeared quite stressed and overworked - clearly they needed to hire resources at lightning speed. No difficult quesions - just wanted to validate that I had all the skills and experience to get on board and hit the ground running.

Interview Questions

• Can you be tough when needed?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation - take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GE (Dallas, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

GE's interview process works as follow's:
    -Submit resume through GE Career System
    -Phone Screen with HR Generalist (this person normally knows NOTHING about the actually position, they are simply listening for buzzwords outlined on the piece of paper in front of them). The intent of the phone screen is to determine if the resume contents are legit and you are worthwhile of an interviewers time.
    -Panel Interview with Hiring Manager and a peer or two of the hiring manager. These interviews are behavioral in nature and revolve around questions related to the GE growth traits. Some of these might include:
    Give an example of a time when you had to independently lead a critical project and resolve a difficult problem.
    Tell me about a project that you led that required the involvement of people from various areas. What are some of the challenges that you faced? How did you overcome them?

-One over Interview with Hiring Managers boss. If you make this interview you are probably in the final two. This interview is also behavioral in nature and your answers should be exactly as stated in the Panel interview. This interview is normally conducted via phone.
    -The offer. The hiring manager will call with a salary offer. They will low ball! GE offers notoriouly low salaries, but counter.
    -The Counter. The hirinc manager will call back with the counter to your counter offer or acceptance of the counter.
    -HR finalization. HR will email you 5000 documents and tell you when you to show up to pee in a cup for your drug test.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you improved a business process using analytics   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GE in February 2010.

Interview

Simple Process:
    1. Phone interview to review resume, credentials, and job fit.
    2. 1:1 interview with hiring manager to elaborate on experience in light of job description. Know the job description!
    3. Background check and drug test.

With regards to the difficulty of the interview, things were pretty straightforward; know your resume and make sure to have STAR (situation, task, action result) stories in mind for each bullet on your CV or resume. This is very important and helps in lowering the stress and nervousness in any interview. My interviewers were very kind and laid back. At this GE office everyone wears polo shirts, no tie and suits here. The office is very minimalistic, not much to look at. There are cubicles and conference rooms which are hold the minimal, bare necessities to complete the task. I think this is typical of GE culture at this time, trying to reduce costs while maintaining high performance and results.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. (They had highlighted a number of points on the CV; so prepare to respond to each point therein.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Check salaries here (Glassdoor) to know what is the salary range for the job. I didn't do this beforehand and could have likely demanded more.