GE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GE.

Interview Details – Got in contact with a GE recruiter through an on-campus career fair. I spoke with the recruiter about the work I had done, basically pitched him my experience and projects. The recruiter mentioned that he had an opening that matched my experience, and he scheduled me for interview.

The 2-part interview process consisted of an in-person behavioral interview followed by a technical screen over the phone by an engineer on the team I would be working with. Both took around 90 minutes.

The behavioral interview was actually a pretty nice experience. The person interviewing me didn't go for the 'standard' HR questions and instead we just talked for awhile about relevant coursework and personal projects. He did open a few times with "tell me about a project in which ....blah blah", but it progressed naturally into an open dialogue. Following this phase, I was scheduled for a technical screen.

I was contacted by a GE engineer, and we set up a time which worked for both of us. For the next hour and a half I was grilled on the full spectrum of computer systems and software. The questions were generally more on the conceptual side, ranged in scope from straightforward to fairly in-depth. The interviewer did mention that he was asking questions intended for a full-time hire, and not to sweat out any incorrect answers. Below are a few questions I was asked:

1. Explain the Linux driver model, and how you would go about developing your own.
2. Walk me through the process of modifying an interrupt service routine in the Windows kernel.
3. Walk me through the general prologue and epilogue of a generic interrupt service routine.
4. What keyword in C would you use to indicate a variable will be modified outside of the local scope?
5. Let's say we have Host A and Host B on a LAN, both without established ARP entries. What happens when Host A pings Host B? (Wanted details on ARP discovery, IP address resolution, pertinent Wireshark commands, etc)
6. What is the stack used for, versus the heap?
7. What is realtime computing?
8. Tell me everything you know about process schedulers. (I hadn't touched scheduling in depth, so I talked about linux CPU governors and he seemed happy with that)

Following the technical screening (I'd say I got around 85% of his questions right), they presented an offer letter.

Interview Question – What is a stack overflow? (This question wasn't surprising) Can you tell me about the overflow vulnerability inherent in the printf() function? (Hello question outta left field!)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hah negotiation as an intern. But in seriousness the offer was pretty solid.

The Woodlands, TX

I interviewed at GE in May 2014.

Interview Details – They had a 3 part interview process. The first one with HR which is basic questions you will get everywhere. The technical interview consisted of mostly high level questions, not very specific. Also I will say it was centered around experiences more than random technical questions. The last is an on site interview confirming your fit with the company as well as a teaching session to determine your proficiency in conveying your technical knowledge to others.

Interview Question – They asked a couple question which seemed very specific to their system.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at GE in March 2011.

Interview Details – It is a lengthy process not only interviewing with many managers but for the process to complete - if you are selected to be the right candidate. However, management does it best to move the process and will keep you informed.

Interview Question – Give an overview what you have accomplished and why you feel it is important ?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Minden, NV

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GE in March 2014.

Interview Details – Met project manager at university career fair and gave him my resume.
Interviewed for 30 minutes the next day.
Was told at that the next step would be an on-site interview.
Scheduled interview 2-weeks out, per request; G.E. paid for the flight.
Flew out the day before the interview, stayed in a hotel.
The day started at 8:00 AM with a tour and coffee.
Interviews started 8:30 AM and ended 12:30 PM with 3 interviewers.
    Typical interview: history discussion, fit/behavioral questions, then technical questions.
They took me to lunch for about an hour.
Day ended around 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM

G.E. says they will reimburse all expenses; the daily meal allowance is limited but high.

Interview Question – They will test you on any technology you put on your resume.
Be ready to prove you know everything you say you know.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at GE

Interview Details – Very Technical interview. Be prepared for deep dive.

Interview Question – Describe load balancing optimization   Answer Question

San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at GE in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process very pleasant and enjoyable. Phone screening interview followed by in-person interview.

Interview Question – Cloud and Big Data - How it could be GE aviation industry?   Answer Question

Melbourne, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GE in November 2009.

Interview Details – Hired into a dynamic team building new technology.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Could negotiate salary up to a point, but other benefits like vacation days were non-negotiable.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at GE in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process consists of several phone interviews screening for "fit" with the company coupled with technical questions. The technical questions were all very matter-of-fact, and designed to test your knowledge of major concepts in computer science. Thoughout the process, I was asked to demonstrate my understanding of code on the white-board by writing example code, interpreting code that was given me, and diagraming.

Interview Question – How can a process in deadlock with another (each has what the other needs) resolve the deadlock to continue operation.   Answer Question

Minden, NV

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GE in September 2009.

Interview Details – My initial interview was after a summer internship. It was a single interview that consisted of 3 employees. One employee was my champion and was there to reduce nervousness. Basically I already new him from my internship. He did not ask any technical questions, but was my fit interviewer/advocate. The technical interview lasted about 2 hours and mainly consisted of standard algorithm questions, data structure questions, and some high level questions regarding computer architecture.

Interview Question – I can't remember all of the questions, but at the time I think the reverse the linked list question was nerve wracking just because I made a mistake and got frustrated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy. The employer gave me the details and I accepted them. I was just out of college and had no clue how to negotiate.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GE in February 2009.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with recruiter first, then on-site interview with the hiring manager, hiring manager's peers, HR, and most of the team members. Most of the questions were behavior based, e.g. tell me a time when you disagree with your boss etc. I had lunch with the hiring manager while answering questions. My boss is actually pretty quiet through the process but appears to be well tempered.

Interview Question – Nothing unreasonable. The most difficult part is to quickly adjust the types of answers to the interviewer, i.e. technical hardware, technical software, HR, peers, manager etc. The interview is quite efficient through the day and I didn't catch every name since their titles weren't all on the schedule   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for a small lump sum for relocation. The relocation package can be a lot better but I didn't

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!