GE Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in India, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GE (India, TN) in June 2015.

Interview

total 4 rounds, first Written (objective) test in which half part aptitude questions (moderate), second half technical (C,java,ds,cn) basics questions as storage classes or string operations in C. second round technical simple java programs string operations reverse, number, palindromes. 3rd round Manager and 4th HR simple process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for GE

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a call after visiting a job fair. After two technical interviews i was asked to travel onsite to for interview. I had 5 rounds of technical interview after which i was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• All the technical interviews i was asked some easy to difficult questions. It mostly covered data structures and algorithms. My resume was read line by line and was asked to elaborate on projects.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at GE.

Interview

Went to career fair hosted by our university. They were very organized and directed students to the proper GE rep based on preference. Mine was for GE transportation. He looked over my resume, discussed some things on it, and then asked what time would be good for an interview the next day. Interview was about 30 mins, all behavioral questions, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the most difficult educational decision you have made so far.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GE.

Interview

Got in contact with a GE recruiter through an on-campus career fair. I spoke with the recruiter about the work I had done, basically pitched him my experience and projects. The recruiter mentioned that he had an opening that matched my experience, and he scheduled me for interview. The 2-part interview process consisted of an in-person behavioral interview followed by a technical screen over the phone by an engineer on the team I would be working with. Both took around 90 minutes. The behavioral interview was actually a pretty nice experience. The person interviewing me didn't go for the 'standard' HR questions and instead we just talked for awhile about relevant coursework and personal projects. He did open a few times with "tell me about a project in which ....blah blah", but it progressed naturally into an open dialogue. Following this phase, I was scheduled for a technical screen. I was contacted by a GE engineer, and we set up a time which worked for both of us. For the next hour and a half I was grilled on the full spectrum of computer systems and software. The questions were generally more on the conceptual side, ranged in scope from straightforward to fairly in-depth. The interviewer did mention that he was asking questions intended for a full-time hire, and not to sweat out any incorrect answers. Below are a few questions I was asked: 1. Explain the Linux driver model, and how you would go about developing your own. 2. Walk me through the process of modifying an interrupt service routine in the Windows kernel. 3. Walk me through the general prologue and epilogue of a generic interrupt service routine. 4. What keyword in C would you use to indicate a variable will be modified outside of the local scope? 5. Let's say we have Host A and Host B on a LAN, both without established ARP entries. What happens when Host A pings Host B? (Wanted details on ARP discovery, IP address resolution, pertinent Wireshark commands, etc) 6. What is the stack used for, versus the heap? 7. What is realtime computing? 8. Tell me everything you know about process schedulers. (I hadn't touched scheduling in depth, so I talked about linux CPU governors and he seemed happy with that) Following the technical screening (I'd say I got around 85% of his questions right), they presented an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• What is a stack overflow? (This question wasn't surprising) Can you tell me about the overflow vulnerability inherent in the printf() function? (Hello question outta left field!)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hah negotiation as an intern. But in seriousness the offer was pretty solid.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online via the GE careers website and I was contact within a week of applying by a recruiter. The first interview was an informal phone screen done by the recruiter and it lasted for 30mins. After that, the next week she scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager and we talked and went technical. The things we discussed were what I used to work on in school, what I do for the open source community and how I approach learning a new technology. We even went to talk about how I would go about creating a web application for keeping track of employment hours using the spring framework. He wanted to find out how I think even and that was the concluding statements that he gave me. Shortly after the second phone interview they scheduled an onsite interview for me the following week. They organize the flight, hotel and travel arrangements for me as well. The interview was good, there were a lot of technical interviews and I meet with 4 different developers. Overall it was a good experience, I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• What happens if your Serializable class contains a member which is not serializable? How do you fix it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiable with salary. Everything else was set in stone

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

Application

interviewed at GE (The Woodlands, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

They had a 3 part interview process. The first one with HR which is basic questions you will get everywhere. The technical interview consisted of mostly high level questions, not very specific. Also I will say it was centered around experiences more than random technical questions. The last is an on site interview confirming your fit with the company as well as a teaching session to determine your proficiency in conveying your technical knowledge to others.

Interview Questions

• They asked a couple question which seemed very specific to their system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minden, NV

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE (Minden, NV) in March 2014.

Interview

Met project manager at university career fair and gave him my resume. Interviewed for 30 minutes the next day. Was told at that the next step would be an on-site interview. Scheduled interview 2-weeks out, per request; G.E. paid for the flight. Flew out the day before the interview, stayed in a hotel. The day started at 8:00 AM with a tour and coffee. Interviews started 8:30 AM and ended 12:30 PM with 3 interviewers. Typical interview: history discussion, fit/behavioral questions, then technical questions. They took me to lunch for about an hour. Day ended around 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM G.E. says they will reimburse all expenses; the daily meal allowance is limited but high.

Interview Questions

• They will test you on any technology you put on your resume. Be ready to prove you know everything you say you know.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very Technical interview. Be prepared for deep dive.

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE (San Ramon, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview process very pleasant and enjoyable. Phone screening interview followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Cloud and Big Data - How it could be GE aviation industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GE (Virginia Beach, VA) in September 2012.

Interview

Met at career fair. They signed me up for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but, "What is a semaphore?"   1 Answer