GE

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.1

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at GE.

Went to career fair hosted by our university. They were very organized and directed students to the proper GE rep based on preference. Mine was for GE transportation. He looked over my resume, discussed some things on it, and then asked what time would be good for an interview the next day. Interview was about 30 mins, all behavioral questions, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about the most difficult educational decision you have made so far.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GE

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at GE.

Got in contact with a GE recruiter through an on-campus career fair. I spoke with the recruiter about the work I had done, basically pitched him my experience and projects. The recruiter mentioned that he had an opening that matched my experience, and he scheduled me for interview.

The 2-part interview process consisted of an in-person behavioral interview followed by a technical screen over the phone by an engineer on the team I would be working with. Both took around 90 minutes.

The behavioral interview was actually a pretty nice experience. The person interviewing me didn't go for the 'standard' HR questions and instead we just talked for awhile about relevant coursework and personal projects. He did open a few times with "tell me about a project in which ....blah blah", but it progressed naturally into an open dialogue. Following this phase, I was scheduled for a technical screen.

I was contacted by a GE engineer, and we set up a time which worked for both of us. For the next hour and a half I was grilled on the full spectrum of computer systems and software. The questions were generally more on the conceptual side, ranged in scope from straightforward to fairly in-depth. The interviewer did mention that he was asking questions intended for a full-time hire, and not to sweat out any incorrect answers. Below are a few questions I was asked:

1. Explain the Linux driver model, and how you would go about developing your own.
    2. Walk me through the process of modifying an interrupt service routine in the Windows kernel.
    3. Walk me through the general prologue and epilogue of a generic interrupt service routine.
    4. What keyword in C would you use to indicate a variable will be modified outside of the local scope?
    5. Let's say we have Host A and Host B on a LAN, both without established ARP entries. What happens when Host A pings Host B? (Wanted details on ARP discovery, IP address resolution, pertinent Wireshark commands, etc)
    6. What is the stack used for, versus the heap?
    7. What is realtime computing?
    8. Tell me everything you know about process schedulers. (I hadn't touched scheduling in depth, so I talked about linux CPU governors and he seemed happy with that)

Following the technical screening (I'd say I got around 85% of his questions right), they presented an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • What is a stack overflow? (This question wasn't surprising) Can you tell me about the overflow vulnerability inherent in the printf() function? (Hello question outta left field!)   View Answer
    Hah negotiation as an intern. But in seriousness the offer was pretty solid.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE in July 2014.

I applied online via the GE careers website and I was contact within a week of applying by a recruiter. The first interview was an informal phone screen done by the recruiter and it lasted for 30mins.

After that, the next week she scheduled a phone screen with the hiring manager and we talked and went technical. The things we discussed were what I used to work on in school, what I do for the open source community and how I approach learning a new technology. We even went to talk about how I would go about creating a web application for keeping track of employment hours using the spring framework. He wanted to find out how I think even and that was the concluding statements that he gave me.

Shortly after the second phone interview they scheduled an onsite interview for me the following week. They organize the flight, hotel and travel arrangements for me as well. The interview was good, there were a lot of technical interviews and I meet with 4 different developers. Overall it was a good experience, I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions
    • What happens if your Serializable class contains a member which is not serializable? How do you fix it?   View Answer
    Negotiable with salary. Everything else was set in stone

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

interviewed at GE in May 2014.

They had a 3 part interview process. The first one with HR which is basic questions you will get everywhere. The technical interview consisted of mostly high level questions, not very specific. Also I will say it was centered around experiences more than random technical questions. The last is an on site interview confirming your fit with the company as well as a teaching session to determine your proficiency in conveying your technical knowledge to others.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a couple question which seemed very specific to their system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minden, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minden, NV

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GE in March 2014.

Met project manager at university career fair and gave him my resume.
    Interviewed for 30 minutes the next day.
    Was told at that the next step would be an on-site interview.
    Scheduled interview 2-weeks out, per request; G.E. paid for the flight.
    Flew out the day before the interview, stayed in a hotel.
    The day started at 8:00 AM with a tour and coffee.
    Interviews started 8:30 AM and ended 12:30 PM with 3 interviewers.
        Typical interview: history discussion, fit/behavioral questions, then technical questions.
    They took me to lunch for about an hour.
    Day ended around 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM

G.E. says they will reimburse all expenses; the daily meal allowance is limited but high.

Interview Questions
    • They will test you on any technology you put on your resume.
      Be ready to prove you know everything you say you know.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Very Technical interview. Be prepared for deep dive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GE in June 2013.

Interview process very pleasant and enjoyable. Phone screening interview followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Cloud and Big Data - How it could be GE aviation industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at GE in September 2012.

Met at career fair. They signed me up for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but, "What is a semaphore?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GE in June 2011.

Two telephonic call and 4 rounds of 1 on 1 interviews. Telephonic and personal interviews were fairly technical and basic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at GE in March 2011.

It is a lengthy process not only interviewing with many managers but for the process to complete - if you are selected to be the right candidate. However, management does it best to move the process and will keep you informed.

Interview Questions
    • Give an overview what you have accomplished and why you feel it is important ?   Answer Question