GEICO Auto Damage Appraiser Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2015

4.7

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO (Worcester, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

The electronic application process required me to submit my age, and SSN. Subsequently, in the state of Massachusetts that is illegal. Furthermore, it is bias, and quite frankly an unethical business practice.

Interview Questions

• There were none, they did a credit background check without my authorization. There response was within 24 hours rejecting my application electronically.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

At times the process seemed very disorganized, as if there was no communication between different parties involved.

Auto Damage Appraiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GEICO in November 2010.

Interview

The initial phone interview with an HR representative went well. We briefly discussed my background, past experience and qualifications. The HR representative then set a date for a face to face interview. She mentioned in passing there would be a test while I was there. She made it sound like an intelligence test, which I had taken with my previous employer. Instead the test was a written knowledge and skills test based on identifying engine parts, body parts, estimating tools and types of vehicle paint from what I can recall. It would have been nice if they let me know ahead of time, as I had a ton of material back home I could have reviewed if I knew they were going to hit me with this kind of thing first. After the hour long test I was told to go back to a waiting room. By then it was approximately 10 o'clock in the morning. Around noon I asked someone who came by on how things were going. They said they would be with me shortly. Another hour passed by, I then asked if it would be ok if I found some place for lunch. They said that would be fine. I grabbed some take out and hurried back. I sat there the rest of the afternoon until around 5 p.m. They said they were busy and asked me to come back for further evaluation. A few days later I drove back and sat around for what seemed to be an eternity again. The office was disgusting, dirty carpets and chairs and stained cubicles and walls. Some of the people who worked there looked as grim as their surroundings. I've had worked at a few other insurance offices before, they were clean and professional in their appearance, this place was just gross. Someone finally took me to a back office and gave me about 60 different pieces of paper and a time clock. He said to study the materials for a half hour and they will come in and do an "adjuster type scenario"; basically role play. There were about 20 pages of instructions on being an office supply adjuster. The role of a typical auto damage adjuster was similar, prioritize scheduling inspections based on company guidelines and need, prepare estimates, meet with customers. Other than that, it had absolutely nothing to do with being an actual auto damage adjuster. Then two people came in and said they needed an esitmate done right away for a broken machine at a local office bldg. The repairs cost $200 to fix based on the paperwork and a used part was available. The owner said an employee dropped it. The contract said that a $50 deductible instead of a $25 deductible would apply if the damage was caused by the owners own negligence. As I explained this, one of the role players began screaming at me. This was amusing. He then said he would refuse to allow a used part for the repairs. I calmly explained that his policy allowed for this and that I would stand behind the part anyway if for some reason there was something wrong with it, over and over again, no questions asked. He never budged. After about 10 minutes of this, he finally said, "ok, you have a deal". Got the agreed price and he was on his way. There were a few more scenarios, one I had even made a mistake. I called the role player back 5 minutes after he had left to explain that I had made a mistake after rechecking my figures and it would cost this much instead. As I apologized for this, he ranted and berated me, this time over the phone. After this role playing was done, they came in and told me I would have to be trained from the beginning if I was to be hired. This I understood, as each company has different guidelines that need to be learned, however it didn't seem to matter to them I had over 4 years experience in successfully doing this type of a demanding job. After this, I had a Q&A with the ranting guy. He just read off a piece of paper and never made eye contact. He had a personality that seemed it was actually developed in a car crash. He hardly wrote anything down on his sheet. Just went through the motions. I held out thinking there was still hope in landing the job. I was left in the room for 45 minutes. Another gentlemen came in the room and said he was sorry but they can't offer me the position. I politely asked for their reasoning, however he wouldn't budge. After a solid 5 minutes politely asking for any kind of an explanation, he refused. I thanked him for his time and he walked me out. One full day of sitting in a waiting room doing nothing, then another day of yelling at me like a drill sergeant, yet still getting them to agree on the what the instructions asked me to do, and then simply telling me no thanks with out a single explanation. Not to mention the interview was an hour drive each way. Simply put, a nightmare of an experience.

Interview Questions

• What level of supervision would you prefer?   1 Answer