GEICO

GEICO Claims Adjuster Interview Questions

3.2

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in January 2014.

Applied for the position and received a call the very next day for an interview.

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO in December 2013.

I applied online and received a telephone call within a few days advising me on the date, time and location of my interview. When I arrived there was a 4 additional job seekers there with me. As a group, we were escorted to a conference room where we were given a run down on the hiring process, extensive training that would be required and the tests we were about to take.

The first test was a 10 minute timed test. I read a long paragraph or two then had to answer a few questions about I read. Then on to the next paragraph. The questions were multiple choice and I did not find them extremely difficult. The second test was also timed, 5 minutes. This test was designed to determine if you could see or assume what parts of a 3-dimensional shape were touching other parts of the same shape. This was also a multiple choice test. Once both tests were done, we were told we would be contacted in a day or two and advised if we passed or failed the test.

A couple days after taking the test I received a telephone call advising me that I passed the test and I was advised that the next test would be a telephone interview, scheduled for the following day. I prepared by doing some research on the company and had notes in front of me when the interview took place. The interview lasted exactly 90 minutes. The questions were typical as far as most interview questions, "tell us about yourself, why do you want to work here, have you ever stolen anything, etc.". The second part was testing your knowledge of the company, the industry as a whole and some questions and examples of situations and how you would handle that situation. I was reminded that there is no "correct answer." Well, yes there is, I thought to myself. Again I was advised that I would receive a telephone call and advised if I passed the interview and what the next step would be.

After a few days I was called and told I passed that interview and the next phase would be a role playing job interview. I dressed up and met at a local auto dealership and was escorted to a simulated office. Here I would "act the part" of a claims representative for a fictional company and handle cases from other fictional companies. There were several GEICO employees brought in from other states to participate as the customers. We met face to face in my fake office and I would play the role of claims agent and try to solve their claim. A few times I was called and handle the claim over the telephone, other times I had to call out to handle the claim. The whole act took about 90 minutes. After the role playing I meta with the district manager who interviewed me in a casual way. A lot of typical questions but as a former police officer I was advised that he, "don't like hiring former cops because all they do is drive around all day eating donuts," and he knew this because his brother is a cop. I worked in a city that borders Detroit, the deadliest city, 3-years in a row, in the U.S. and all I have to do is eat a donut. Granted I do like donuts and I would even if I wasn't a cop but please. After deflected his poor excuse for not hiring cops, I continued through the interview and was advised I would be contacted in a few days and advised if I had passed the interview.

I received a telephone call and was made aware that I would not be going farther in the job placement with GEICO. I asked why and the answer was even though I have many qualities they seek in job applicants, overall I would not mark a good fit at this time.

My overall experience with the job hiring process was okay at best and in my opinion, not necessary. I feel a well executed interview could eliminate people who would not be a good fit. The role playing portion was okay as well but again not necessary. Finally, the laid back interview with the district manager gave me a sour view of how the management performs at the company. Do I really want to work for a management that views or handles things in such a lazy way? Overall. I'm happy I didn't get hired with GEICO, I feel that I probably would not stay at the company for the long haul and would have searched for a job at another company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

If you know nothing about cars it's going to be much harder for you to learn since this course is designated to learn everything about cars. People that will have the advantage will be the ones that know something about cars which it will make it much easier for them to get through the course.
    You’re going to need to learn over 200 different car parts by name and spelling, this is very important since when they grade your papers for each exam every day they will mark it wrong if you forget a "s" or anything it has to be exactly has the book. So do by entering the word but forgetting a letter proves that you know the answer, but you might not be the best speller GEICO doesn't care they want exactly has the book wrote it.
    Every exam is going to be the same way you’re going to get diagrams which will be about 70% of each exam and then question which will be the remaining question of the exam. Spend the most time studying the diagrams every night until you get them all memories completely word for word.
    Then spend the rest of the time reading the chapters that you reviewed every day look for the odd things in the book and memories those things also. Since the question will have about 10% of them are trick question and a lot of people get those wrong on each exam.
    There will be a portion on definitions you there going to tell you that you need to learn word for word. You don't make sure that you know exactly all the words there is going to be another 100 words in this list that you need to learn. The best thing is to be able to associate the words with the definition, don't waste your time on trying to learn all the definitions by heart for the few that are going to be ask that way it’s not worth it to waste all that study time on those.
    The diagram exam is the easier of them all since you will already have learned them by heart throughout the first 2 weeks. So that one you won't need to study that much just mostly review them and move on.
    The estimate exam well that one that is not very fair. Let me explain the simple reason is that it's graded base on other student and not actual damage to the vehicle. So let's say student X writes down 10 lines of damage on the vehicle and you write 8 lines, you’re going to lose points because you don't have the same amount has him.
    The issue is that it’s not realistic and there is no standard to be gauge by except another student. So if a student says on car X "well I think that this damage was caused by the scenario" and the teacher says ok. Then you’re going to lose points if you didn't write it down, again unrealistic since that damage had nothing to do with the original damage at all it’s just another student opinion.
    This is one is very unrealistic and I didn't really get the point for the simple reason that your trying to train somebody in finding exact damage on a vehicle. In this case is how much imagination do you have and nothing of exact damage this was a really huge waste of time. Not good for the training purpose at all, you’re trying to have people learn how to do car estimate but then you have them prove why they thing that damage should be on an estimate. That would be like taking an exam in college and then saying well this answer should be good because in this situation. So you can see that this exercise has no training value at all and is a complete waste of time. So don't worry this one is more of a luck exercise than anything else and I would recommend to just be friendly with the other student and try to get an agreement and everybody write the same thing and then the grades are higher.
    The initial portion of the training needs to be change, student should be learning the parts in the book but spelling mistake should not be counted unless for the simple reason that if you wrote septamber and that is the correct answer the teacher know that you know what the answer is but this would not count because it’s not spelled correctly September. This is a waste of time since the student is going to be using a computer with spelling correction. Don't you want somebody that know the material then somebody that can spell that's my question?
    Should also try to invest in some kind of 3D software do your "low cost provider" this would greatly increase student that have no mechanical background. I would also base my recruiting focus more on people that have some kind of background in cars; this will increase productiveness in the long wrong once the student gets into the field and start estimating damage. Since being the low cost provider the company should know that the learning curve is going to be a complete memory dump after the training. For the simple reason that you are pushing so much information to each student that he will need to relearn most of everything. This is already apparent just by the lower test scores on Monday.

NONE

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO.

Got a call back from a recruiter. Passed the initial phone interview. Took an online assessment test but failed the test.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Applied on the website of school career center. Spoke with a HR rep on campus with a basic interview then had a in person computer test, in person interview, and roleplaying scenario.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if you've ever been late to previous jobs, and that seemed like a trap question because I believe everyone has been late to previous jobs for some reason or another.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they hand you the paper with the salary and you sign.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO in May 2012.

Applied online and took the online test. Afterwards had a 1 on 1 interview with management.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a difficult customer and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at GEICO in April 2012.

You have to take a personality assessment first. These tests are the most annoying. After you spend 30-40 min of your life answering questions that don't matter, you might get a call back. The next step is a brief interview where you are asked why you want to work for them (because I need a job!!) They then ask if you would be willing to complete there 3 months of training and say that they will forward this to a human resource specialist for the next interview...needles to say, no interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in February 2012.

Overall positive experience. Didn't get the job but the guy interviewing me was pretty straight forward and called a day after the interview to let me know. Gotta at least respect that kind of decency in this day and age.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO in April 2011.

Started with a multi-tasking test. Not too hard if you know how to use computers. Next, I had a 1 on 1 interview that lasted for about 2 hours. Then I was called back for a role playing test. I was a new claims rep. and had to field calls and deal with angry customers and shop owners. My advice is to not worry so much about the details and focus on giving good customer service

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with an angry customer   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GEICO in March 2011.

Step #1: Apply online - Fill out the usual personal information for a job application. Also requires you to complete a questionnaire below the application.

Step #2: Received an email instructing me to call a GEICO number and leave my full name, phone number, and a good time to reach me. All of this is left on an answering machine. Within that time a GEICO associate called me and asked a few various questions. Mainly about attendance and schedule restrictions. I said I would have no problem with 100% attendance and had no schedule restrictions.

Step #3: Computer assessment test: basically seemed to test multi-tasking skills on a made up computer program. Also testing your words per minute.

Step #4: Personal 1:1 interview. Basically what you would expect from any job interview. But be warned, they ask A LOT of questions. So be on your game and research common interview questions and have a pre-determined answer to give you some help.

Step #5: Roll Playing - sit you in a room with a phone and paperwork about a fake insurance company. They explain what they will do, and what you will need to do. The interviewer will call you posing as a client and give you many different scenarios. Seemed to another test of multi-tasking as well. Just take it as serioously as possible and you should do fine.

Step #6: Shadowing - have you sit down and observe/listen to someone working in your position that you applied for. I'm guessing to give you a preview and to see if its something that you really want to do.

Step #7: Interview with manager - again, just a normal interview situation. Research common interview questions to have a game plan. Also they will address any concerns they have about your intentions with joining the company.

Step #8: Conditional Job offer, drug test and medical screening. And a warning to any of you recreational drug users out there, it is a HAIR follicle drug test.

FYI - Be prepared to do many of these steps in one day. You might do one step on the first day and 4 steps on the next. Just be prepared, and leave your day open.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you changing your occupational path to insurance?   View Answer
    • How do you feel about constant supervision and a lot of constructive criticism.   View Answer
    N/A I didn't attempt to negotiate anything.