GEICO

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Claims Representative

I applied online and interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Where do I start... well first I should throw out there that they really only want fresh out of high school kids in there. Even if you have any experience in the insurance business, forget it. Anyways, I got an email saying that I need to schedule an over the phone interview. I was beyond excited honestly, I mean they do pay well. I did it, but the lady sounded like she did not like her job and was not outgoing at all. They want us to be outstanding yet their employees now can't be? Right. I scheduled an in person interview and went. I took a very mediocre test on the computer. I passed, and waited over 4 hours in a quiet building to talk to some guy who asked pretty unrelated questions like "tell me about a time you helped someone." Really? Well, the dumb questions went on and on and he advised me I had to come in for another interview to do a "phone simulation." Why not do it now? That was what I thought. I scheduled it and it was just a few days ago. I went in, and the VERY rude and judgmental girls in the front let me know that they will let him know I was there, then thought something was funny as I sat down and they looked at me and whispered to each other while staring. Well thats professional. I waited an hour and a very young lady, about 20 came and got me. I honestly thought she would be taking me to the man I previously interviewed with for I did get on good terms with. No. She explained that I had 25 minutes to review a large stack of ridiculous papers and learn about this fake business which was a reality. She stated after 25 minutes, she will deliver some papers and the phone will start to ring and thats when it starts. I put a timer on my phone when she walked out... she was back in 13 minutes which is when it started. 25 minutes my butt. Well, I wasn't sure exactly what they wanted so I filed the papers according to name. Then the phone rang, it was a simulation of a lady who I couldn't understand and kept saying "I dont understand " over and over to me. I didnt know what to do? I had 13 minutes to understand this unrelated material. I did my best, and I felt I did good for not knowing what the heck to do. Like I said, the standards were unrealistic for this. Do they really expect you to be perfect and know the situation when you have never done it before? A few phone calls came in and the lady came in with "deliveries." I did mess up but like I said, atleast I put in all of my customer service skills into it. Yes, I have a lot of experience for this job. They dont care. They want to take new people and mold them. Anyway after the dumb calls, she called and said the simulation was over. She asked why I wanted the job. How do you answer a question like that? "Why do you want to be a claims representative for us?" Well because I wanted to do it my whole life and it has been my calling. Just kidding. Because I need a job and this is where my experience is. After that, she came in to walk me out, and told me I will get a call for an interview with the manager by the end of the week. Well, I got an email today from them regretting to inform me that I didnt get the job, and I can try again in 6 months. Really? Don't worry, I wasnt going to take the job since they wanted to start me in 3 months and that I received a better job offer... but I would love to know why I didn't get hired. Maybe they will receive a call tomorrow during opening hours. :) All in all, don't waste your time. Especially if you live far, you will find out it nothing but a waste of gas.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Tucson, AZ

Interviewed at GEICO

Interview Details – Hiring process is very extensive and demanding. The recruiting team is fairly nice however. Overall it is a 7 stage process and was very surprising to me personally, but I suppose that is what is asked of you when you are potentially going to get a well above average salary and benefits.

Interview Question – At one point I was asked why I left a certain job without having another lined up. It was for personal reasons, but was hard to explain, and get the interviewer to understand it. It was certainly a curveball.   Answer Question

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online, someone from HR called me the next day to schedule a phone interview. She called me 3 days later, the phone interview lasted about 30 minutes; she asked about previous employment history, why you want to work for Geico, your career goals, a few behavioral questions.. very easy going. She then invited me to come in to take some computerized skills tests for the week after. It was a multi-tasking test and a typing test. She said from the jump that it was designed to overwhelm you but it was actually extremely easy if you can multi-task using a PC. The test lasted maybe 45 minutes at the most. She came back in the room and told me I passed and said that a manager would be contacting me to schedule another phone interview... that same day, the manager called to schedule the next phone interview for the week after. The phone interview consisted of various behavioral interview questions... I actually thought I did kind of bad, it lasted about an hour, but by the end of the conversation she invited me to come in for some role playing. It was really nerve racking because they put you in a room with stacks of papers, a phone, pens, highlighters, etc. There's a thick stack of papers that you have to read that gives you instructions on what to do... then someone from HR calls the phone and act like rude customers, some had fake accents, etc. but it was pretty easy as well if you're comfortable multi-tasking. I think I did pretty well. After that, I shadowed somebody that was taking calls in Claims... After that, the manager called me back in the room and asked me if I felt like I could do the job... Then she offered me the position.

Interview Question – Behavioral Interview Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, negotiation. Based on level of education.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Woodbury, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – Professional interview

Interview Question – They wanted to see original of my college degree which meant I had to remove it from a frame!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, flat rate, take it or leave it.

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at GEICO in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on the Geico website. A couple of days later, I received a phone call from one of their HR representatives who did an informal telephone interview. Explained the pay, job responsibilities and a little about the company. After asking if I were interested in speaking further, I was invited to come in and go through their testing.

The testing is ridiculous and I described it as an episode of Survivor. First, there was a typing test. If you have a decent typing speed and can multi-task, these tests are a breeze, really they are. It was a standard typing test where you just type a block of text. When it's done, someone comes in and calls names to take them out of the room. Those people didn't pass the test and are allowed to go home. Those who do pass go into another part of the test. There were tests that tested your ability to listen and type at the same time, enter information into the correct database. After each test, the person comes into the room, calls more names, have them leave and then another set of tests. If you pass all those tests (all are on a computer), then you're invited to speak 1 on 1 to an HR representative where they ask you MORE questions about yourself, about your experiences and how you relate to others. They tell you about the position, the rate of pay, their expectations, benefits, hours, scheduling. I can say this, they are VERY thorough. They also give you the opportunity to ask questions of them. If that goes well, then they ask you to do some role play where you take calls from (them) irate customers, follow a script of information and see how well you are at documenting calls and resolving problems. Your HR rep is making all of the phone calls and they attempt to use different accents and different temperaments to throw you off. Unfortunately, I'm in the deep south. Their accents all sound southern to me (I'm from the west coast originally).

If that goes well, then they invite you to speak to a supervisor in the department and spend some time listening to actual phone calls. This was to me the best part of the interview process because you get to see what the phone calls are actually like, and what their employee actually has to do from beginning to end (taking calls, using different screens, documenting as you go along, etc.). I think I may have spent about 2 hours in this portion. I rather enjoyed it and it didn't seem that long. If you're successful (or not) in that process of speaking to a supervisor and then giving them a good impression of what you've learned and noticed by shadowing their employee, an offer is made.

The entire process is somewhere between 8 and 10 hours and I was a former government employee. It cumulatively didn't take me that long to get a job where my base pay was double. It's too long just to work for an insurance company.

Reason for Declining – The biggest reason I declined was because on their website, they offer varying available shifts and I was interested in specifically two of them (a 4/10 shift and a day shift). Those shifts I found out at the end of the process by the supervisor are not available to new hires. They are examples of shifts that people work, but you have to earn those coveted spots. Everyone starts late afternoon or early evening and 2 consecutive days off is almost an anomaly. When I mentioned to the HR rep that those 2 shifts that I saw on the website were those that I was interested in because of the distance and road conditions (very little street lighting in the area) she indicated that it wouldn't be a problem, that I should just mention it to the supervisor of the floor. When I mentioned it to the supervisor of the floor, she told me emphatically that it was NOT happening. You bid on those shifts after a period of time once they become available. When they would become available is anyone's guess.

Also, they had a list of start dates of their training classes. When I indicated to the HR rep what date I was interested in starting, she indicated no problem. The supervisor decided that she was going to start people regardless of their preference of what was advertised, but just fill up the classes and move on. The problem with that is they require 100% attendance during training and I had some tremendously important things going on between the beginning of the next class and the beginning of the class after that that could not be changed (purchasing property, scheduling closing and moving, a trip and a trip back home for some other reasons). In essence, they're bringing people in by advertising something that really isn't available.

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online at career builder.com and got a email the next day to set up a phone interview. Basic interview questions and availability questions were asked. Then the recruiter set up an interview for 4 days later. This was an very extensive interview process which included a stimulation test, a word per min. test and a personality test. If you made it past that then there was an one on one interview with the HR representative. If you made it past that stage then you moved on to the stimulation test which was a mock insurance agency with fake customers making angry phone calls. The HR representative then brought me back to her office and told me I did well on that part of the test and asked a few more questions. I was then invited for a final interview later on in the week were I was meet with a claims supervisor and listen in on actual claims phone calls. My final interview is tomorrow so I am not sure if I got the position as yet, wish me luck!

Interview Question – What other jobs are you applying for and what would be your deciding factor for which job you will choose.   Answer Question

Woodbury, NY

Interview Details – I applied online at geico.com, got an email the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty basic and easy. Just the stuffs on your app.. (Why Geico, have you missed a day from previous employment, ever been convicted etc etc)

Next you're invited in for testing, I went in 2 days after phone interview. The computer test is not hard guys, just a bit overwhelming for beginners.. Just be quick with your typing fingers and try to be accurate as can be. The multitask part of the test was what floored me because I didn't click on some of the boxes that I should've opened up, so make sure you look up top on the right side for those boxes and fill them in. I didn't pass so I don't know what comes next. The one and one interview I guess.

Tip:- this test is designed to overwhelmed you, don't let it and you'll at least get past the first stage.

Interview Question – Why are you accepting this salary?   View Answer

Lakeland, FL

I applied online and interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details – I went in and did testing on a computer with a group of people. It was pretty easy everyone passed that part. The testing included a part where you would have to copy as much of a paragraph as you can in 30 seconds, a multitasking where you would answer simulated call and receive emails and select the the appropriate answers according to their needs. After that is a personal interview where they asked about my previous job experience and asked me what I would do in certain situations

Interview Question – I was asked someone calls and they are upset they have to pay a deductible what would I say in that situation.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They commute was a bit far and I plan on going back to school

Lakeland, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at GEICO in February 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online, get phone interview which basically just is a review of your app. Typing and computer test. If you pass you have an interview with an HR rep, after that you are either chosen for the next step which is role playing. If you pass that you meet with a supervisor who asks you some questions about why you want the job. Then you are usually offered the job then.

Interview Question – Just basic questions about your personality and how you would react or have reacted to situations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate anything.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GEICO in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and the next day I received an email about setting up a time to come in and test. it was a basic multi-tasking and typing test. After I passed that, I had a brief interview then set up a time to come back for a role playing scenario. After that, I sat with a claims rep for about an hour to see more of what the job is like...then I had a final interview with supervisors who let me know right away that I got the job. Overall, it was easier than I was expecting. However, if you do not research Geico and read the instructions for the initial test and role play, you will not be successful. Total process testing/interview process took three days.

Interview Question – What is the best way to deal with an irate customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GEICO

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO Claims Representative interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees and interview candidates.