GEICO

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.3

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at GEICO.

I have applied twice to Geico. The first time I was fresh out of college and wasn't well prepared.This time I applied for the claims representative position because I felt it would be a better fit for me. I did some background research and thought I'd have it in the bag, but still no.

I applied on a friday and got a call Tuesday morning that I missed. When I called back she pulled up my file and started the phone interview. Simple questions like ,"Why did you choose the claims position?" and "What is your ultimate career goal". Pretty much everything that I have prepared for. The only question that caught me off guard was, "What have you done to prepare for this position? It is fast paced, requires multi tasking...what have you done?". I sheepishly answered about having to multi task and take on a lot in college.

All in all I think I did good, but got the infamous, "We'll have a hiring manager review your file and contact you soon". It is pretty apparent that this is the kiss of death and is what I also got last time I had applied. I don't know what I could have done better to move on to the next step of the process. If they by some chance call or email me to do the testing I will update.

Interview Questions
  • What have you done to prepare you for this kind of position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Interview questions were standard. Interviewer asked questions from a booklet and took notes while you answered. Everyone at Geico that I met and spoke with was very nice and personable. It seems like a great place to work. However, it just wasn't the job for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO in August 2014.

A recruiter calls and describes the position, salary, training dates and times, and asks why you want to work at Geico. The next step is to do a very easy typing test and role play, via computer and after that, an interview with a manager. The manager just reads questions off papers and it really didn't feel like an interview at all. You can't even follow up with the person who interviewed you and you're just told that a manager will call you within five days. Instead, you receive an e-mail stating that you didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you received constructive criticism.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO.

Where do I start... well first I should throw out there that they really only want fresh out of high school kids in there. Even if you have any experience in the insurance business, forget it. Anyways, I got an email saying that I need to schedule an over the phone interview. I was beyond excited honestly, I mean they do pay well. I did it, but the lady sounded like she did not like her job and was not outgoing at all. They want us to be outstanding yet their employees now can't be? Right. I scheduled an in person interview and went. I took a very mediocre test on the computer. I passed, and waited over 4 hours in a quiet building to talk to some guy who asked pretty unrelated questions like "tell me about a time you helped someone." Really? Well, the dumb questions went on and on and he advised me I had to come in for another interview to do a "phone simulation." Why not do it now? That was what I thought. I scheduled it and it was just a few days ago. I went in, and the VERY rude and judgmental girls in the front let me know that they will let him know I was there, then thought something was funny as I sat down and they looked at me and whispered to each other while staring. Well thats professional. I waited an hour and a very young lady, about 20 came and got me. I honestly thought she would be taking me to the man I previously interviewed with for I did get on good terms with. No. She explained that I had 25 minutes to review a large stack of ridiculous papers and learn about this fake business which was a reality. She stated after 25 minutes, she will deliver some papers and the phone will start to ring and thats when it starts. I put a timer on my phone when she walked out... she was back in 13 minutes which is when it started. 25 minutes my butt. Well, I wasn't sure exactly what they wanted so I filed the papers according to name. Then the phone rang, it was a simulation of a lady who I couldn't understand and kept saying "I dont understand " over and over to me. I didnt know what to do? I had 13 minutes to understand this unrelated material. I did my best, and I felt I did good for not knowing what the heck to do. Like I said, the standards were unrealistic for this. Do they really expect you to be perfect and know the situation when you have never done it before? A few phone calls came in and the lady came in with "deliveries." I did mess up but like I said, atleast I put in all of my customer service skills into it. Yes, I have a lot of experience for this job. They dont care. They want to take new people and mold them. Anyway after the dumb calls, she called and said the simulation was over. She asked why I wanted the job. How do you answer a question like that? "Why do you want to be a claims representative for us?" Well because I wanted to do it my whole life and it has been my calling. Just kidding. Because I need a job and this is where my experience is. After that, she came in to walk me out, and told me I will get a call for an interview with the manager by the end of the week. Well, I got an email today from them regretting to inform me that I didnt get the job, and I can try again in 6 months. Really? Don't worry, I wasnt going to take the job since they wanted to start me in 3 months and that I received a better job offer... but I would love to know why I didn't get hired. Maybe they will receive a call tomorrow during opening hours. :) All in all, don't waste your time. Especially if you live far, you will find out it nothing but a waste of gas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Hiring process is very extensive and demanding. The recruiting team is fairly nice however. Overall it is a 7 stage process and was very surprising to me personally, but I suppose that is what is asked of you when you are potentially going to get a well above average salary and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • At one point I was asked why I left a certain job without having another lined up. It was for personal reasons, but was hard to explain, and get the interviewer to understand it. It was certainly a curveball.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

I filled out an application online, someone from HR called me the next day to schedule a phone interview. She called me 3 days later, the phone interview lasted about 30 minutes; she asked about previous employment history, why you want to work for Geico, your career goals, a few behavioral questions.. very easy going. She then invited me to come in to take some computerized skills tests for the week after. It was a multi-tasking test and a typing test. She said from the jump that it was designed to overwhelm you but it was actually extremely easy if you can multi-task using a PC. The test lasted maybe 45 minutes at the most. She came back in the room and told me I passed and said that a manager would be contacting me to schedule another phone interview... that same day, the manager called to schedule the next phone interview for the week after. The phone interview consisted of various behavioral interview questions... I actually thought I did kind of bad, it lasted about an hour, but by the end of the conversation she invited me to come in for some role playing. It was really nerve racking because they put you in a room with stacks of papers, a phone, pens, highlighters, etc. There's a thick stack of papers that you have to read that gives you instructions on what to do... then someone from HR calls the phone and act like rude customers, some had fake accents, etc. but it was pretty easy as well if you're comfortable multi-tasking. I think I did pretty well. After that, I shadowed somebody that was taking calls in Claims... After that, the manager called me back in the room and asked me if I felt like I could do the job... Then she offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    No, negotiation. Based on level of education.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at GEICO.

Professional interview

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to see original of my college degree which meant I had to remove it from a frame!   Answer Question
    No negotiations, flat rate, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

I applied online at career builder.com and got a email the next day to set up a phone interview. Basic interview questions and availability questions were asked. Then the recruiter set up an interview for 4 days later. This was an very extensive interview process which included a stimulation test, a word per min. test and a personality test. If you made it past that then there was an one on one interview with the HR representative. If you made it past that stage then you moved on to the stimulation test which was a mock insurance agency with fake customers making angry phone calls. The HR representative then brought me back to her office and told me I did well on that part of the test and asked a few more questions. I was then invited for a final interview later on in the week were I was meet with a claims supervisor and listen in on actual claims phone calls. My final interview is tomorrow so I am not sure if I got the position as yet, wish me luck!

Interview Questions
    • What other jobs are you applying for and what would be your deciding factor for which job you will choose.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

I applied online at geico.com, got an email the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty basic and easy. Just the stuffs on your app.. (Why Geico, have you missed a day from previous employment, ever been convicted etc etc)

Next you're invited in for testing, I went in 2 days after phone interview. The computer test is not hard guys, just a bit overwhelming for beginners.. Just be quick with your typing fingers and try to be accurate as can be. The multitask part of the test was what floored me because I didn't click on some of the boxes that I should've opened up, so make sure you look up top on the right side for those boxes and fill them in. I didn't pass so I don't know what comes next. The one and one interview I guess.

Tip:- this test is designed to overwhelmed you, don't let it and you'll at least get past the first stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

I applied online – interviewed at GEICO.

I went in and did testing on a computer with a group of people. It was pretty easy everyone passed that part. The testing included a part where you would have to copy as much of a paragraph as you can in 30 seconds, a multitasking where you would answer simulated call and receive emails and select the the appropriate answers according to their needs. After that is a personal interview where they asked about my previous job experience and asked me what I would do in certain situations

Interview Questions
    • I was asked someone calls and they are upset they have to pay a deductible what would I say in that situation.   View Answer

They commute was a bit far and I plan on going back to school